looking for a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjayfromwa

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I havent been on here in a little while..been working too much! But i am currently using a stihl ms660 with a 36 3/8 full skip chain for most of my cutting in/out of the trees..(chunking them down of course).
My question is does anyone have any thoughts on which is a better saw? The husky 3120 or the stihl MS880? I've been a stihl guy for quite awhile, but i've heard the husky will smoke a stihl out of the box. I'm looking at running up to a 50in bar on it. Just something that i can bury into a tree with a decent length bar and still have the power to keep the chain screamin.

Hi Big Jay,

I`m going out on a limb here :laugh: and am going to offer you an opinion based on hearsay, but I`ll qualify if for you. I`ve been told by Ed and a few others that own newer 3120s and 088s, that both saws are pigs out of the box relative to their weight, cost, and displacement.

I have no use for such a large saw and don`t own either. I have however run Hunter`s EHP 088(which is a worksaw) and the thing is a monster. I guess what I`m trying to say, is that the consensus is that the big boys need some competent help to realize their potential. I`ve personally had exceptional success dealing with Ed, you may have someone else that you prefer(trying to give everyone a fair shake here). If not, give Ed a ring and get the skinny right from the source.

Russ

Latest posts

Back