Looking for a top handle chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a 355T a couple of years ago and really like it, always starts easily and runs great.

Had a Husqvarna T435 and it was inconsistant, couldn't keep the carb adjusted on it, it waste of money for me.

Essentially I will be hinge cutting to create deer bedding areas, and travel corridors. The improvements will make the deer hunting more predictable, and increase the potential for holding numbers of bigger bucks. Hinge cutting keeps the tree alive, and creates instant horizontal cover. It allows sunlight to the floor which helps regen. Cover/food for the deer

Glad to see so many other supporters of the cs 355t. I got mine last year and have used it heavily every day. I love it. I've let other guys at work try it out. They beg me to use it when we have a 201t and a 200t that work just fine.

The 355t starts and revs every time with no issues or delays. It has always had enough power, even with the bar buried. I can't recommend this saw enough.
I'm really happy with my 355t. Surpassed my expectations. I was hesitant on a top handle simply because I don't do much climbing but this saw is much better than I was expecting. Really good power and super light and comfortable. Good on fuel too.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

If I were you, I would try to borrow a top handle before buying one. I have one that I use when I'm up off the ground, but I don't use it on the ground because I don't feel I have as much control as I do with a conventional rear handle saw. It's also more fatiguing to my wrists to use one all day because I tend to reach and use it one handed more often. I would recommend an Echo CS 352 or 310 if you're looking for a really light, controllable saw that would be good for small stuff in tight areas, and for limbing. The thought never even crosses my mind that I would use my top handle over my 352 for ground work. To each his own, and you may prefer the top handle, but it's something you should think about before buying one.

If I were you, I would try to borrow a top handle before buying one. I have one that I use when I'm up off the ground, but I don't use it on the ground because I don't feel I have as much control as I do with a conventional rear handle saw. It's also more fatiguing to my wrists to use one all day because I tend to reach and use it one handed more often. I would recommend an Echo CS 352 or 310 if you're looking for a really light, controllable saw that would be good for small stuff in tight areas, and for limbing. The thought never even crosses my mind that I would use my top handle over my 352 for ground work. To each his own, and you may prefer the top handle, but it's something you should think about before buying one.
Good advice. I was hesitant but I actually like my top handle more than I thought I would. Certainly different for everybody.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

If you already have a 30+ cc saw the Makita DCS231t looks like a good buy, don't know much about Makita chainsaws but made by Dolmar, lightest in class (2.5 kg) and under $500NZ (at a guess $400 American) sounds like a top deal to me. Guess it depends if u need a bit more grunt than 23cc, if so I've done quite a lot of work with the ms200tc which was a great saw if u want something to do light firewood as well but don't want too many saws, only downside is the weight if you're swinging it round one handed all day

New look at the 355T and smaller 271T in Echo. If I was buying new it would be those.

I agree if you want just one either will work ... the c s 2511t is a great saw but if your doing full take downs the cs 355t is the best bet in echos line up....i found my cs 355t for 320 shipped to my door on the bay brand new...

I have 10 acres of mixed wooded area and clearing. Much of my clean up is tops that fell out. Usually what i like to do is saw up the branches in 3-5 ft lengths and put on stacks nearby. So to get to the point, that new CS2511 has me worked up quite a bit. I am thinking how much much much easier this limb clean up would be with that little feller. Haven't asked the wife yet, but i have started to squirrel away the occasional $20 bill for the CAD fund. Do I need that little guy to add the lineup.

I have 10 acres of mixed wooded area and clearing. Much of my clean up is tops that fell out. Usually what i like to do is saw up the branches in 3-5 ft lengths and put on stacks nearby. So to get to the point, that new CS2511 has me worked up quite a bit. I am thinking how much much much easier this limb clean up would be with that little feller. Haven't asked the wife yet, but i have started to squirrel away the occasional $20 bill for the CAD fund. Do I need that little guy to add the lineup.

You may not need it but if you can swing the money i would buy both.... i have both plus a cs 330t mint thats not even being touched..... the cs 2511t does alli need but .... if not hard core tree any more at 50......so far it has exceeded what i thought it could do.... but that being said if i had to take one for everything it would be the cs 355t....but hey i can afford it i bought both.....Life is good....

I ended up getting the 355. I'l be using it this weekend. I'e used top handle saws before, and I prefer them. Thanks for all of the advice. I'l follow up after use this weekend.
Funny how the manufacturers say top handle saws are for professionals only. Back in the day Poulan sold a lot of top handles like the 25DA. I had one as my only saw for ten years, and cut a lot of oak with it.

Funny how the manufacturers say top handle saws are for professionals only. Back in the day Poulan sold a lot of top handles like the 25DA. I had one as my only saw for ten years, and cut a lot of oak with it.
No kidding. Lots of top handle like the 25 and 2000 or "semi" top handle like the Jonsered 36/Husky 35/Partner/Skil models sold in the 70's/80's.

Latest posts

Back