Looking for advice on gas trimmer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JUDGE1162

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK here is the issue, for a house warming present my fater bought me a troy-built trimmer from lowes It looked cool it was a string trim but you could also use a blade on it for a brush cutter. In addition it took all this attachments looked cool well it turns out it is a peice of crap. I have had 2 so far the first broke after a few days use took it back to lowes and exchanged it for another one, well same thing it has less then 20 hours of use on it and it broke a again it seems to be electrical as there is no spark at the plug. So I am returning it again. I decided I have had enough of the troybuilt and will get another brand.

So here are the two qiestions first if I return it and only get store credit I have the following choices (Husqvarna Model: 123L or 223L) which do you reccomend.

Second if they refund my money (not holding my breath on this one) and I can buy any trimmer, what should I get.

More info I am using this to trim grass as well as clear brush so the ablity to run a blade or other brush clearing equipment is a big plus.

Between the two huskys it all depends on how much money you want to spend but for just around the home you should have no problems with the 123L. Also, while Lowes calls the 223L a "commercial" trimmer it is still considered a homeowner trimmer by Husky so don't be fooled by the Lowes marketing. If you get your money back and money isn't an object then get a Stihl. If money is an object, as it was with me, I like my Echo. The specific model you get depends on the size of your lawn, amount of trimming you have to do, and depth of your wallet.

Cheap equipment sucks when it breaks.

If you want to be able to brush cut, then check that your trimmer has a solid shaft vs. a flexible shaft. I think the Stihl 85 had that and the 80 did not. I also don't think they are being made anymore but I have still seen them at dealers. I think the 90 replaces them. Not sure what the shaft is on them.

The popular models on the Echo's are the 210 and 260. The 260 is commercial grade. I believe there is an attachment version of the 260. I am not sure about the shaft on either.

I don't know the Husky line.

Other brands to consider are Shindaiwa and Tanaka. Not as many dealers around for them.

I am not a fan of all of the attachments. They do okay but are lacking from what I have seen. If you plan on doing some tilling get a dedicated one. I'm not sure how the edgers work but I just tip my trimmer on edge or use the manual half-moon edger for my edges and beds.

Hopefully you can get your money back and get something you really want. It is always a pain when a relative gets me a tool that is not what I wanted. They now know that they are better off giving me a certificate to get what I want.

I forgot to mention the Echo 230 in there. Another good trimmer from all reports.

I agree with the answers here.I bought a Cub Cadet after my (GREAT RYOBI) got stolen.I didn't pay enough attention when I bought this one and the idiots that designed the engine must have been LEFT HANDED! The muffler is against your body and NOT BEHIND the engine.(stupid me).But I suppose you know Cub Cadet,Troy Bilt,Bolens are built by the same company.

I spent 20 years of my professional life working for a commercial string trimmer manufacturer.
As a rule of thumb, if the starter handle is located between the engine and the drive shaft it is a 1/2 crankshaft low end consumer trimmer.

All quality and or commercial trimmers will have the starter mounted to the rear of the engine.

Quality commercial trimmers are provided by Echo, Stihl, Red Max, Husky,Shidiawa, and others.

Buy your new trimmer from a servicing dealer where it will be assembled, gas and oiled, pre run and instruct you on proper operation and maintenance before you take it home. Also if you have a problem the dealer will be willing to assist you.

Last summer I bought one of those Troy Bilt combo head trimmers. First one broke the first time I used it. The second one broke the second time I used it. Lowe's gave me my money back. Lowe's will probably just give you your money back, they gave me no hassle when I demanded full refund.
I went to the local OPE shop I frequent a lot and bought a Stihl FS55 (should have just done this to begin with). Awesome little trimmer, works fantastic.

Latest posts

Back