Looking for custom tools and homemade saws for a TV show

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debris

Reaction score
Hi there - My name is Dan Bree, and I'm a Boston-based producer on a new History Channel series called "Sliced".

It's not a traditional History Channel show, instead its more like an updated version of "How Stuff Works". We're taking everyday objects and using power tools to cut them apart to see how they work. Objects like an armored car, a pool table, kitchen appliances, toys, a bowling alley, a gas station, a fire truck, and a police car.

My coworker Brendan Lattrell posted a message on this forum back in July looking for hot saws for a pilot episode of the show. Our series is now shooting 20 episodes - and we're looking for awesome homemade tools to cut those everyday objects up. That's where you come in.

We're looking for homemade saws and cutting tools (hot saws, chainsaws with snowmobile engines) that folks have made and might be willing to bring on to our show. We'd give the tools a good workout - and cut through some fun stuff.

If you're interested in having your tool (and possibly you) be on the History Channel, shoot me a private message through this forum or reply here.

Most of our episodes will film in Boston or Texas, so we'd love to find people in New England, the New York area, or in Texas. But if you're elsewhere, there may be an opportunity to bring you to meet us where we'll be shooting.

Thanks all - I look forward to hearing from some saw builders.

Dan Bree
Powderhouse Productions
www.powderhouse.net

That sounds like saw abuse to me....isn't that against the law? Oh wait, that is spouse abuse that I am thinking of isn't it? To many of the guys here there might not be much difference - especially for the custom built jobs. Or then maybe you haven't seen the "what do you say when someone asks to borrow your saw" thread where many spouses are more likely to get loaned out.

:laugh:I'm picturing someone laying into a pool table with a fifty horse Rotax. I want to see an upcut so it sprays a huge rooster tail of green felt and wood chips:clap: I'll bet it would smell like stale beer, cigarette smoke, and Race Fuel:clap:

That's exactly what we're looking to do. Take a monster saw - rip into an unsuspecting object (pool table or otherwise) - and see what we find on the inside.

Something like a pool table, we cut around the rim and then lift it off with a hydraulic lift - shows the lanes and tubes underneath where the balls roll. It's pretty cool, actually.

We've had good luck so far with saws. They don't get abused - they get used. :)

We borrowed a "Predator" (http://lumberjocks.com/gfixler/blog/9127) and sliced through a pinball machine in about 10 seconds. It was pretty crazy. And fun to watch.

-Dan

That's exactly what we're looking to do. Take a monster saw - rip into an unsuspecting object (pool table or otherwise) - and see what we find on the inside.

Something like a pool table, we cut around the rim and then lift it off with a hydraulic lift - shows the lanes and tubes underneath where the balls roll. It's pretty cool, actually.

We've had good luck so far with saws. They don't get abused - they get used. :)

We borrowed a "Predator" (http://lumberjocks.com/gfixler/blog/9127) and sliced through a pinball machine in about 10 seconds. It was pretty crazy. And fun to watch.

-Dan

Sorry Dan,
I kinda doubt that you "borrowed" the Predator.
One thing I know for sure is that no one is going to be cutting no stinkin' pinball machine with my Kawasaki.

Andy

Dan

cutting a pool table? isn't their slate in it or some other very hard surface in it. I wouldn't let you use my $10.00 homelite or even my nabors cheap polin and I don't like him.And I thought chainsawers wear crazy

man oh man

Hey! I saw a add for the new show "sliced" on the History Channel. Did you guys find a hotsaw and cut some stuff up? I found this video clip on the website, scroll down and look for the "sliced" link......

http://www.powderhouse.net/history.php

thats pretty bad. was that the track they were looking at. couldnt they flip it over and look at it.. funny stuff

so your gonna borrow a saw and cut into hard wood, felt and here's where i have the issue, A HUGE SLAB OF GRANITE!!!! just pay for the bar and chain being used i guess. how do you handle personal injury? not sure i see the point of the show, senseless breaking of things to show people whats inside? couldn't we just watch how it's made? or call the manufacture? or just assume it's full of magical powder that makes it work. Where's this thread about saying no to beggars, sounds interesting?

Latest posts

Back