Looking for info on Stihl 064 Flywheel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esox

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this forum so I really don't know what to expect. I am also new to the world of chainsaws. A couple of years ago I was able to obtain several ash trees that had been killed off by the emerald ash borer. So I went out and found a Stihl 064 chainsaw. Outfitted it with a 36" bar and ripping chain, an Alaskan mill and started to mill these trees. Two months ago the ignition coil blew (a common problem from what I've been told). The local Stihl dealership has had it for these two months and were not able to get the parts for it as the coil is obsolete. I am told that I am in need of a Dual Key Flywheel 1122 400 1203 and then the more common and almost universal CDI Box 0000 400 1300. The last threads I have seen on this topic were from several years ago. Is there anyone out there with some knowledge or insight into where I might get a hold of these items. BTW I'm in Ontario, Canada. Thanks in advance for any help out there.

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this forum so I really don't know what to expect. I am also new to the world of chainsaws. A couple of years ago I was able to obtain several ash trees that had been killed off by the emerald ash borer. So I went out and found a Stihl 064 chainsaw. Outfitted it with a 36" bar and ripping chain, an Alaskan mill and started to mill these trees. Two months ago the ignition coil blew (a common problem from what I've been told). The local Stihl dealership has had it for these two months and were not able to get the parts for it as the coil is obsolete. I am told that I am in need of a Dual Key Flywheel 1122 400 1203 and then the more common and almost universal CDI Box 0000 400 1300. The last threads I have seen on this topic were from several years ago. Is there anyone out there with some knowledge or insight into where I might get a hold of these items. BTW I'm in Ontario, Canada. Thanks in advance for any help out there.

Lots of information on the chainsaw forum here about the 064 flywheel/coil. Do a search.

It would help to know , what coil and flywheel (flywheel ser #) your saw has on it now, saw serial number, and also the configuration of the mounts for the coil on the crankcase.

Attachments

• 064 and 066 ignitions.pdf
    303.3 KB · Views: 16
Lots of information on the chainsaw forum here about the 064 flywheel/coil. Do a search.

It would help to know , what coil and flywheel (flywheel ser #) your saw has on it now, saw serial number, and also the configuration of the mounts for the coil on the crankcase.
Thanks for that information. I'll get to those numbers right away and start a search on the forum for more help. This really is a great site. Thanks.

Thanks to those of you who have replied to this post. The Serial # is 124004392. The flywheel is 1122 400 1204. I can't seem to find a coil number starting with either 1122 or 0000 - if there was a label on it, it is missing The only number on the coil, and I believe that it is a Prufrex coil, is CDIC 106/1a (I seem to remember the shop telling me that it was a 1122 400 1303). Does this help me out at all?

It's important to know which flywheel you have currently and whether you have the later crankcase with the extra mounting pad for the 0000 400 1300 coil. Then I can help you with what your options are.
Thanks for the help. The Serial # is 124004392. The flywheel is 1122 400 1204. I can't seem to find a coil number starting with either 1122 or 0000 - if there was a label on it, it is missing The only number on the coil, and I believe that it is a Prufrex coil, is CDIC 106/1a (I seem to remember the shop telling me that it was a 1122 400 1303). Does this help me out at all?

Thanks for that information. I'll get to those numbers right away and start a search on the forum for more help. This really is a great site. Thanks.

Thanks for the help. The Serial # is 124004392. The flywheel is 1122 400 1204. I can't seem to find a coil number starting with either 1122 or 0000 - if there was a label on it, it is missing The only number on the coil, and I believe that it is a Prufrex coil, is CDIC 106/1a (I seem to remember the shop telling me that it was a 1122 400 1303). Does this help me out at all? The coil mount is two bolt if this is what you mean.

I'm not sure where the serial number break is on the case change, but you need the two mounting pads close together like in this pic to be able to make the jump to the common coil and you will need a different flywheel for any of the unlimited coils. Either a 1203 dual key or you can use the 1201 flywheel. 99939-c1cd1037a1fecbbef1c1a82535a58ad2.jpg

Thanks for the help. The Serial # is 124004392. The flywheel is 1122 400 1204. I can't seem to find a coil number starting with either 1122 or 0000 - if there was a label on it, it is missing The only number on the coil, and I believe that it is a Prufrex coil, is CDIC 106/1a (I seem to remember the shop telling me that it was a 1122 400 1303). Does this help me out at all? The coil mount is two bolt if this is what you mean.

Yeah, that's the CDIC rev-limited coil, sometimes called the "shoebox" coil due to its' shape. See Rob's (Jockeydeuce) post for the ignition mounting points you need to convert.

I'm not sure where the serial number break is on the case change, but you need the two mounting pads close together like in this pic to be able to make the jump to the common coil and you will need a different flywheel for any of the unlimited coils. Either a 1203 dual key or you can use the 1201 flywheel. View attachment 864715
I can't believe how clean that saw is. If it's yours - my hat's off to you. I believe my saw has the same layout. Check my pics. My saw is not anywhere near as clean but the mounting hole layout does look the same. So, if I understand what you're saying, I can use the dual key 1122 400 1203 flywheel and then the 0000 400 1300 coil.
stihl064coil.JPGstihl064coilmounting.JPG

Yeah, that's the CDIC rev-limited coil, sometimes called the "shoebox" coil due to its' shape. See Rob's (Jockeydeuce) post for the ignition mounting points you need to convert.
Looks like I have the same mounting holes. I replied to jockeydeuce (Rob I take it) with pictures of my saw for confirmation. Most helpful. Now to find some parts.

Yes you're good to go with the common 0000 400 1300 coil and you can either match it up with the dual key 1203 flywheel or you can even use the early 1201 flywheel that was used with an earlier unlimited coil. Those are probably easier to find than the dual key.

Yes you're good to go with the common 0000 400 1300 coil and you can either match it up with the dual key 1203 flywheel or you can even use the early 1201 flywheel that was used with an earlier unlimited coil. Those are probably easier to find than the dual key.
I start looking in earnest now. The first one I find will be the one I get. Gotta get this saw going again.

If you know 4-sure you have the 1204 flywheel it will work. If you have the 1201a flywheel it want. It takes a 7" wire and a coil from a ms290 and will work if you have the 1201a flywheel. Just unscrew the wire from your current coil and screw in a MS290 coil and it will work on a 1201a flywheel. The flywheel numbers are on the back of the flywheel. I have used a couple of those proline coils on 1204 flywheels and they ran like they should. What makes the difference on the flywheels is were the north/south magnets are located on the flywheel. The 1201a is in normal position aligned with the key and the 1204 is offset some with the key.

https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...ll-mattering-ignition-thread-volume-2.283569/
I do have the 1204 flywheel. So I should be good to go without any modifications. Right?

Latest posts

Back