Looking for input/advise on pole saws. I am looking to purchase.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadeTreeWelder

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a hobby farm. I am thinking of purchasing a pole saw. I need an 11-12 foot
length so I can cut what I need from the ground I'd like to have 13-14 foot clearance
for the cab on the tractor. My current method is not the safest, and involve the
loader on the tractor, a pallet and the pallet forks and my MS192T. Needless to say
I need to change that. What I am cutting is a mix of soft and hard woods as well
as some fruit trees and a hated willow.

I have 6 peices of Stihl equipment, but I am not against working in another brand what
I was in high quality equipment that will last a long time and work are when I need it.

My first thoughts are the following:

Stihl HT 131
Husqvarna 327PT5S

The Stihl takes the same bar and chain as my MS192 so that is a plus, not sure if the
Husky takes the chain or not.

The main difference I see is the Stihl is ~36cc (1.9 Hp) where the Husky is ~24cc (1.2 Hp)
otherwise they seem very similar. Pricing is almost identical.

Thoughts/Ideas/Comments/Experience/other brands or equipment etc.

TIA,
Ron

Only advise I can give you as I don't own one is that in order to use one you will still need a back up plan to get it out if you pinch it in a tree way up.

I have one here Stihl HT75 older model and I am awaiting a carb kit for it (not mine). It seems to work very well though.

i have only used a stihl and it works great plenty of power. as mentioned earlier be careful how you make your cuts so it dosent get pinched.

I've used the Stihl HT75 and it was a good unit, no experience with the new models though.

I did purchase an Echo and part of the reason was that it was a bit lighter like the old Stihl, also I wasn't fond of the 4-mix idea.

Ive ran the ht 131 and loved it. the only draw back is the weight of the unit. but as far as power it has more than enough.

I picked up a used Echo power pruner its similar to the current ECHO PPT-280. I bought the 5' extension for it and the reach is over 17' with it. I've had it for over ten years now and am happy with it.

I have a Tanaka tps-260pf and love it. It is light, well made, has plenty of power and has a 7 year warranty.

I bought a new HT131 a few months ago. My biggest complaint is that it is hard to start. I think the EPA overdid it on this model. I am not crazy about 4 Mix either. But, once it starts it's a horse. In hindsight I wish I has bought the Echo. My Husqvarna dealer said that the Husqvarna had problems with the extension shaft. He didn't elaborate but won't even stock the one that extends.

I bought the HT-101 back before the HT-131 was available. The original electronic module had to be replaced -- there was a common problem about them getting stuck in the advanced spark mode so they wouldn't start. I like it but it would do better with the bigger power head. I also use a Kombi setup with the K130 unit for shorter cutting -- nice and light and plenty of power. I would like to convert to 1/4" pitch if I could find the parts. Keep the Hayauchi (sp?) handy for the inevitable occasional pinched bar.

The HT101 and HT131 are great saws. Even the diehard Husky guys I have worked for all ran Stihl powerpruners. They are both great units.

O.P I own a echo, but run all still at work. Never ran the husky, the engine it it though is legendary, the thing that sold me against it, is it was not telescopic. Other than that looked well built. I have ran all the ones Stihl ever built, and Many many echo's. I would buy either an echo or stihl. If you go Stihl I would go with the 101 very good power, and not as heavy as the 131. The guys at work did not listen to me, and there eyes got big on a bigger saw, which for chainsaws I normally advocate. But if you ever run a pole saw much it is very different, and will kill your shoulder. The 101 will tackle anything along with the echo. My friends at work said they wished they would have listened and got more 101's. Now they park new 131's and run are old 101's.

I am also in the search for a pole saw and was leaning toward the HT131 Stihl. I am concerned about the 4 mix thing, I read in another post about the 4 mix being dropped and went back to the standard 2 stroke engine. Can anyone verify this for sure, I tried calling my dealer today for an answer and they did'nt have a clue.

We have been running the 4 mix hard at work. Only issue at first the conventional oil. Read a post here saying use synthetic like hp ultra, in fact think if I remember right they are made to run on it. Only had to adjust valves a time or two, but so far rock solid. I am sold in a pole saw form. Trust me though the 101 is tried and true, the less weight is really noticeable. Still have great power. I try and explain to people, even though I am falling trees and cutting stuff as big as 18inches and up, at some point you will have to use a bucket truck, or climb and get up with a chainsaw. The power of today's pole saw's is not an issue. But weight can be fully extended. Just trying running it day in, and out. It is very different then a chainsaw right in front of you. And the 101 is tried and true. We are still having some minor issues with the 131. Just my thought's Oldiron.

I've used the pole chainsaws, and it was fun. Thought long and hard about buying one over the years, but never pulled the trigger.

My hand pole saw/pruner just keeps doin what it needs to do. Reaches higher than the power pole saws, and I can have four/five branches down before the pole chainsaw is ready to cut. The fact that it has a motor don't make it God.

I use a Stihl HT101 and like it a lot. I recently got pinched by a large pine top and it turned the bar into a hockey stick. Found another bar that fit and back in business. The powered saws are heavy and expensive but I think worthwhile to have. I use mine for getting on a roof and cutting back everything I can reach (helps keep gutters clean). I also have a manual Marvin pole saw with 3 six foot poles and one 4 footer so I can get a lot of places with that too. It has more reach but takes a lot of "horsepower". I use it with a saw more than the pruner head. One of the things I really like it for is helping to set pull lines. I think if you are in any kind of tree service you would do well to have both. ie, a powered pole saw and a sectional manual pole saw/pruner. Sometimes spending 10 minutes pruning off a few hard to get at limbs can endear you to the customer. Little "extras" like that beget goodwill and are not forgotten when someone asks for a recommendation. That and "exceptional" cleaning up...

I have not used other brands of pole saws so can't compare them but I like what I chose and would repeat my acquisitions. The 101 I actually acquired at a pawn shop and it was nearly new condition. I got it for about 60% of new price. The Marvin pole saw I bought online new. Haven't had it long but doesn't take but a few times to prove its worth.

go with the husky or echo, i have a husky and it works amazingly and is not over heavy. I knew a guy who was crazy about his husqvarna chainsaws but when it came to polesaws he only would buy echo, He was contracted to do 4,000 spruce 17 feet high and used a PS260 with a 3ft extension on the pole saw.

Back