Looking for my 1st chainsaw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lopro

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Need some advice on good brands and good pointers for chainsaw hunting. I really don't need a chainsaw because I only use about 2 cords/year. But I'd rather have one handy so I can cut my own wood instead of either buying wood or only being able to get rounds already cut to length. I often see wood that would be good and free, just needs to cut to length, but I don't wanna hassle anybody and borrow chainsaws or ask them to come cut some wood for me. When I say "cut my own wood" I don't mean felling, I mean cutting rounds and limbs.

My questions:

1. What brand & model would you suggest for an occasional use chainsaw?

2. Is it worth my while to find a used chainsaw on say CL or is that gonna be more of a problem?

btw...it would be nice to have a chainsaw that could get through rounds of 2-3ft in diameter at least.

I will take a crack. I pretty sure the "old" posters around here are going to ask:

What type of wood are you cutting?
What is the actual size range you will be cutting?
Where are you located?
What is sold in your local chainsaw shops? Not the box store but the actual shops.

Im pretty sure there are more questions but I knows those will come up first. So you may as well get those out of the way.

The woodsman

When buying your first saw, you are wise to ask the pros, I'd be glad to give you some advice. You probably find little piles of pruned branches and so on! correct? you see it everywhere and i agree its awfully tempting to just grab it and throw it in yer truck, take it home and cut it up yerself. But remember this piece of advice, if you have never owned a saw or never operated one get familiarized first, buy hearing protection and leg protection. Dont forget a hardhat mate, and steel toe. Now, Craigslist might be an option, but you will likely find a way better deal here, also here you will get a pro rated saw opposed to a craftsman or an old echo or something. Not kickin echo, but STIHL or HUSKY is gonna be my first recommendation. Although I have a real nice PoulanPRO, that out cuts some of the bigger HUSKY saws, anyways thats a matter of opinion, how sharp you keep it, and how well you treat the saw. There are considerations such as Fuel mix. Check around on Arboristsite for a good used saw first, ask around when you find a potential saw your thinking of buying, and for goodness sakes start stockpilin the WOODSMAN.:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
I will take a crack. I pretty sure the "old" posters around here are going to ask:

What type of wood are you cutting?
What is the actual size range you will be cutting?
Where are you located?
What is sold in your local chainsaw shops? Not the box store but the actual shops.

Im pretty sure there are more questions but I knows those will come up first. So you may as well get those out of the way.

I'll be cutting oak and other hardwoods.

I need a chainsaw to get through rounds up to 3ft in diameter. Anything bigger I suspect I'll leave alone due to weight issues...not trying to break my back.

I'm located in South Carolina

Don't know what's sold locally, because I haven't checked and want to know what I"m looking for before I get sold on stuff I know nothing of. I know Husky has a plant in SC, but don't know what they make there and if that translates to anything relevant.

When buying your first saw, you are wise to ask the pros, I'd be glad to give you some advice. You probably find little piles of pruned branches and so on! correct? you see it everywhere and i agree its awfully tempting to just grab it and throw it in yer truck, take it home and cut it up yerself. But remember this piece of advice, if you have never owned a saw or never operated one get familiarized first, buy hearing protection and leg protection. Dont forget a hardhat mate, and steel toe. Now, Craigslist might be an option, but you will likely find a way better deal here, also here you will get a pro rated saw opposed to a craftsman or an old echo or something. Not kickin echo, but STIHL or HUSKY is gonna be my first recommendation. Although I have a real nice PoulanPRO, that out cuts some of the bigger HUSKY saws, anyways thats a matter of opinion, how sharp you keep it, and how well you treat the saw. There are considerations such as Fuel mix. Check around on Arboristsite for a good used saw first, ask around when you find a potential saw your thinking of buying, and for goodness sakes start stockpilin the WOODSMAN.:greenchainsaw:

After reading many posts here, I gathered that Husky and Stihls are the recommended brands.

And heck no, I don't want to gather piles of little branches. I want a chainsaw so I can cut logs I wouldn't be able to carry or split otherwise. My 5 year old girl already brings me enough little twigs that I obligingly add to the woodpile. Anything less than 2.5" in diameter doesn't get my attention. I plan on hounding any arborist who doesn't process firewood and needs somebody to take small amounts after they finish smaller jobs or looking on CL for people who have downed trees, etc. Basically scrounging for decent hardwood...

And heck yeah, the more protection the better. I envision I would become like the Eric Dikcerson of chainsaw users. The main reason I've been skeptical of buying one is I don't want to hurt myself.

Last edited:
A Lil FYI, Around here you can not have just one saw, Soon you will have a saw for every Occasion, Limb work, Bucking, And Felling. You think now you just want one but soon it'll be too heavy or too light or under powered etc, It's called CAD and your about to have it:hmm3grin2orange: Enjoy!

Last edited:
3-feet in diameter? Holly Crap!
Do you know how heavy a 16-inch long, 3-foot diameter hardwood round is?

If'n you're thinkin' that don't constitute a "weight issue"... well, you're a much better man than me.

Oh, almost forgot... you'll need a pretty darn good saw to pull the chain on a 36-inch guide bar. A lot more saw than would usually be recommended for an occasional user.

Last edited:
Do you no how heavy a 16-inch long, 3-foot diameter hardwood round is?

If'n you're thinkin' that don't constitute a "weight issue"... well, you're a much better man than me.

That shows you how young I am in firewood processing years. :hmm3grin2orange:

If it's something too heavy, I might just go for 8" in length or even shorter. I just want to be able to get a good 2 chords per year and not have to pass up on wood just because I don't have a chainsaw. I'm not trying to get into selling firewood at all.

Um you do know there is a whole section of this forum dedicated to chainsaw right?

36" of Oak is pretty big stuff, and I wouldn't recommend felling it yourself. Usually a good general cutting saw is the 50cc range with a 20" bar. I used to cut with a Husky 455 Rancher, and that was a really dependable saw. The Dolmar 510 is in the same category.

Best bet is buying from a real chainsaw shop. If you don't have experience, I would recommend asking the store owner for a lesson. 90% of the battle with safety is learning how to stand correctly and hold the saw correctly. With chainsaws you can't afford to learn the hard way.

Hello,
Like "WHITESPIDER" said, do you realize how big and how much a 3 foot diameter log that is 16-18" in length will weigh ???? With that being said , a 20" bar will go through a 40" diameter tree but you'll have to cut from both sides. Any saw that can pull a 24" chain, let alone a 36" will be a big saw and will cost big bucks !!!!! I'd go with a 20" bar....maybe a Makita 6401, a Husquarna 455...but something that has some power.

Henry and Wanda

I will say from my personal exp, get a good 60cc saw good, all around size for firewood not to big not too small.
Get any big brand saw Stihl, Husky/Jred, Dolmar or Echo.Something with a good dealer to get parts from in the future should you need them.
Happy cutting!

P.S
Also from said dealer get two spare chains and a file kit and some plastic wedges.

a guy came in with the same scenario and question the other week , needed a saw to cut 1-2 cords of wood per year.. and ended up with a $900 Stihl 460 :dizzy:

3' REAL diameter?

to economically cut wood that big , (if its really 3'diameter), you will want at least a 70cc+ saw at bare minimum..but i wouldd have a hard time telling someone thats never owned a saw to go out and buy a 441/372/460,, i think thats just asking for trouble

mentioned something about breaking your back? id love to see you move a 3ft diameter x 16-18" long chunk of wood around by hand! you will want to learn now to "noodle" if youre going to be dealing with wood of that diameter !!

Last edited:
Stihl 260 or 362 comes to mind. Or if you want cheaper go with a 290. I have ran the 290 and a couple of 036. Both handle a 20" bar in any wood with a sharp chain. That is the best thing you can do for you saw is keep the chain sharp. 455 huskey is not a bad saw either. On larger rounds you can "noodle" them to get them down to size and not have to worry about breaking your back. There is a long list of tools that I use daily in retriving fire wood. Another tood you might want to look in to is a peavy. I LOVE mine. Makes rolling a log over really easy.

Ray

Do you know how heavy a 16-inch long, 3-foot diameter hardwood round is?

Oh, almost forgot... you'll need a pretty darn good saw to pull the chain on a 36-inch guide bar. A lot more saw than would usually be recommended for an occasional user.

who said anything about a 36" bar? Can you imagine a 36" bar for his first saw? Hello! I cut wood that big with my 18" bar all the time. As far as how heavy it is noodle the thing...8" x 36" round... too funny.. definitely buy some chaps ear muffs and goggles. I would say Husky 455 rancher or Stihl MS290 Farm Boss good luck

to go with a homeowner grade saw, i would at least go the biggest they got:
husky 460
or stihl 391

next step down would be a 455 husky or 311 stihl.

all pretty good saws

I'd go with a mid size saw. Dolmar 510 or 5105. Possibly a Makita 6401. That's a 64cc model and good for a 28" bar. The 510 and 5105 would handle up to a 20" bar.

The 2 mid size saws wouldn't wear you out like the 6401 would. The 6401 will weigh in at 18lbs filled up. The other ones at 12-14 lbs.

The most expensive one you can afford for general firewood use, I got a Husky 445 and do a 10 cord load every year and I will be getting a bigger one this year, don't need it just want it:D

I've been happy so far with my Husky 455 and i've cut cottonwood that was 36", it just takes longer and is a little more work. If you're only going to be cutting on a tree thats 36" once I would go with the Husky 455 or Stihl Farm Boss, if you already know that you're going to have access to more big stuff like that, then yes I would look into a bigger saw like a Husky 372 (my next saw)

Latest posts

Back