Looking for my 1st chainsaw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what your wanting to do and with your level of expierence I would find a clean 028 Woodboss Stihl, they are an older model Stihl, but built like a tank, virtually bulletproof if fed with good fuel and mix and a little maint. They will run circles around a 250 or 025 and can be bought for 150-250.00.

+3 If you are dropping down from the 36" tree requirment, an 028 is an excellent choise. My dad bought the Electronic AV version back in the early 90s. It had a crap carb on it from the factory, but it still ran well. Just took 4 or 5 pulls to start it. We finally found a good Stihl shop, and the guy threw a new carb on it in 2008 for $20, and now it fires on the second pull. Very great fire wood saw. Dad has used it to maintain the 250 acre farm that we hunt on for the past 20 years with no problem. They had a 48" maple in the back yard that they had taken down 2 years ago. Dad used that 028 to buck the whole thing into 14" pieces. He would noodle, then buck. It took him several evenings to get the trunk done, and the stump cut flush to the ground, but he did get it done. I didn't have the 064 at the time. Would have made the job a lot easier, but that 028 is enough saw to do anything that you have any buisness doing. It's a good ol saw.

Even though I recommended the Dolmar in my previous post, I have to agree that the 028 would do you right if you can find a good one. I used one of those for 15 years until I made the (never again) mistake of loaning it to a friend to trim some limbs in his front yard. Yep...you guessed it...straight gassed it. I'd still go for the Dolmar 5100 if you buy a new saw, but a Stihl 028 with an 18" bar is a fine saw.

My first saw is/was a Husq 450 w/ 18" bar. It's big enough to handle a downed 24-26" maple. Look at my pics in the picture forum. I had to cut through the top, down one side, roll it with a peavey, then finish it. That was actually pretty fun.

BTW, two grown men rolling that 26" round @ ~16" length... we were smoked after getting it up the trailer ramp.

Latest posts

Back