Looking for my 1st chainsaw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would also say either the Husky 455 or Stihl MS290. These are both decent power for the price and still light enough to do limbing without too much trouble. That should be all you need for doing 2 cords a year.

Buying one of these will also let you spend money on spare chains, PPE, etc. I'd much rather have all the nice accessories than have, say, a 362. ( Well, I Stihl want the 362....:D )

Last edited:
I would also say either the Husky 455 or Stihl MS290. These are both decent power for the price and still light enough to do limbing without too much trouble. That should be all you need for doing 2 cords a year.

Buying one of these will also let you spend money on spare chains, PPE, etc. I'd much rather have all the nice accessories than have, say, a 362. ( Well, I Stihl want the 362....:D )

With a 20" bar both of these saws weigh 19lbs! Why would anyone want to use something that heavy for cutting firewood?

I have a Husqvarna 365 for larger logs and felling and Husqvarna 346xp for smaller pieces of wood--could not be happier.

OP stated he had 36" logs to cut. Should he get a 170?

No. I would suggest a mid size pro saw like a 510 or 5105. These will cut circles around those you listed and he will feel like cutting wood the next day instead of an achy body.

Bottom line. Spend the extra money and get a pro saw.

My vote would be a Dolmar/Makita 6401. As a 6401 its not TOO outrageous but defiantly has plenty of power, plus when he gets board with it, its upgradeable to a Dolkita 7901 or a 8401. Its gonna be way better than the ms 290 line of saws (not that there is any thing wrong with them!) but doesn't weigh much more. And if he's really lucky, he'll find a timed out home depot rental saw for CHEAP$$. Of greater importance is proper PPE and proper training. Youtube doesn't count! That's what I would do.

Bullittman281

i would recommend a echo cs370 or echo cs400 mid range saws, but light weight. enough power to cut what ever you get into..... both can handle a bar up to 18" i use a cs370 for all the firewood cutting and a cs450p for felling,a good saw for limbing would be a cs310 very light and easy to handle......now that's said if you haven't used a saw get some training and safety gear....dont try a monster saw just to be cool. they can kill ya if you aren't careful. i have lost two friends from logging accidents.... :newbie:

I use an ECHO 520 with a 20" bar.Been very reliable and easy to use, but the biggest reason I bought it was I had a good reputable dealer a mile from my house. For the typical homeowner or small time cutter I don't think the brand matters as much as being able to get good service. I'd have bought a Stihl, Husky, or whatever he sold because I know he'll take care of me.

Get a Pro Mac 610. Nuff said. You'll build muscle, and the damn thing won't quit. (till it runs outta gas...)

I like Stihl's, but most of the big name saw makers make good saws. I would first see what dealers are in the area and go look and get the feel of some saws, so you can pick out which is right for you. If you are only going to be cutting firewood, I would go with something like a Stihl 270, 280, or if you want to move up to a "PRO" saw a 261 or 362. But like I said many good saw makers out there, go check them out. If you have never used a saw I would not start out to big though, and don't forget your PPE. Good Luck and Merry Christmas.

To cut 36 inch Oak is a fairly good cut. I would atleast look for a good used 70cc saw. Saws in the 50cc range can cut that size of wood but will be worked to death. Maybe look for a Husky 372, Stihl 440 or 441, Or a Jonsered 2171. If your finances permit you to buy a saw of that caliber.

Last edited:
The way I see it you have two options which depend on your knowledge and ability with a saw. For 2 Cords a year, don't need to break the bank and will likely only need to run it 4-5 weekends a year (until you get CAD).
1) Home owner saw from a dealer. Use your local dealer for his advice, safety tips and build a relationship for the future. Advantage, get enough saw for what you need, build a relationship for any questions, advice or contacts in the local area.
2) Buy a used 60cc class pro saw from an AS member. I trust AS members more than I would a local from CL. Advantage you get a saw that will last, hold it's resale value and have a better HP to weight ratio.

I will say from my personal exp, get a good 60cc saw good, all around size for firewood not to big not too small.
Get any big brand saw Stihl, Husky/Jred, Dolmar or Echo.Something with a good dealer to get parts from in the future should you need them.
Happy cutting!

P.S
Also from said dealer get two spare chains and a file kit and some plastic wedges.[/QUOTE

I agree completely.
REJ2

You ought to be fine for 1-2 cords per year without tackling 36" trunk.

Good advice above, all over, including the chainsaw forum, but be careful.

PPE's, I mean.

Many posts like above. I'll check out the chainsaw forum, must have overlooked it.

Probably will avoid tackling 36"ers if I can. Consensus is something in the 60cc range...Husky or Stihl.

Also will check my local dealers and get some hands on advice...I just need something reasonable as I'm not felling just getting my couple of cords a year and having a chainsaw handy when the need arises.

Looks like you and I are in the same boat needs-wise. I need a saw for cutting 2, maybe 3 cords a year. You were wise to post it here rather than in the chain saw forum. I did that earlier in the year, and most of them recomended I drop a couple thousand on 3 seperate saws. Most of the folks on this forum, along with the couple of (dozen) friends, customers, and random people I asked, including 2 local dealers, recomended a Stihl MS290. It's heavier than a pro saw, has older technology than a pro saw, but it also costs ALOT less than a pro saw. For the same price as a pro version, I figure I can get a 290, nice case, 2 extra chains, chaps, helmet/ear/eye protection combo, new gas can, jug of each oil, for the same price as a much fancier saw I don't need. Will it cut as fast? No it won't. But it will get the job done, will last a good long time, and won;t break the bank. If you can afford a pro saw, plus all the fixin's, go for it. I've got a really good, reputable, local Stihl dealer I know and trust, so I'm gonna get me a MS290 and all the fixin's with this years tax return check.

Merry Christmas

First saw - go used, and get it here in the Trading Post

My 2 cents. For your first saw, be prepared to do something stupid and break it someway (tree fall on it? nah; confuse mix & oil locations? no way; straight gas it? :dizzy: ; lean seizure? not me!)

Trust me on this one. Go used, 50cc for performance/ weight ratio. Maybe 60cc but pick one up first and consider using it a couple hours at at time.

Husqvarna or Stihl. I like an 18" bar for that size b/c it can do everything. That being said, you'll develop CAD and need every combination bar & chain and then start looking for the limbing saw and the 70cc saw (like me.) With the bar size, double it for what you can handle cutting. What you can fell, well that up to your arborist ability.

Check the Tradin' Post here, and buy it from a well posted & rep'd user. Skip CL as you know what you are getting here.

If you get a good common saw (Stihl 290 for example) then you know you can get parts for it and plenty of help on here.

Good luck, and watch some vids/ how-to's - and read To Fell a Tree - Jepson.

One saw plan for less than 10 cords per year -

Stihl MS280, MS360, 361 or 362 (used or new)
Dolmar 5100S, 5105 or 6401 (used or new, or Makita)

My personal opinion only, not familiar enough with other brands to be offering advice there.

Looks like you and I are in the same boat needs-wise. I need a saw for cutting 2, maybe 3 cords a year. You were wise to post it here rather than in the chain saw forum. I did that earlier in the year, and most of them recomended I drop a couple thousand on 3 seperate saws. Most of the folks on this forum, along with the couple of (dozen) friends, customers, and random people I asked, including 2 local dealers, recomended a Stihl MS290. It's heavier than a pro saw, has older technology than a pro saw, but it also costs ALOT less than a pro saw. For the same price as a pro version, I figure I can get a 290, nice case, 2 extra chains, chaps, helmet/ear/eye protection combo, new gas can, jug of each oil, for the same price as a much fancier saw I don't need. Will it cut as fast? No it won't. But it will get the job done, will last a good long time, and won;t break the bank. If you can afford a pro saw, plus all the fixin's, go for it. I've got a really good, reputable, local Stihl dealer I know and trust, so I'm gonna get me a MS290 and all the fixin's with this years tax return check.

Merry Christmas

I'm going to see some dealers and take my time on this one...good overview. My thinking exactly.

If I moved down the power chain (no pun intended), to something like a Stihl MS180, would I be disappointed? Realistically I probably won't need to cut anything bigger than 18"-22" diameter. I know I said 36" originally, but I wouldn't meet that beast in my limited firewood gathering. Would a chainsaw in the 30cc range be advantageous?

If I moved down the power chain (no pun intended), to something like a Stihl MS180, would I be disappointed? Realistically I probably won't need to cut anything bigger than 18"-22" diameter. I know I said 36" originally, but I wouldn't meet that beast in my limited firewood gathering. Would a chainsaw in the 30cc range be advantageous?

Yes. Very disappointmented! Why would you go for something that small? Is money a big issue. I don't think you've said what your budget is. That would be an important factor.

Back