looking for seasoned hardwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lassie89

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi,
i'm in s e wis. and looking for bulk hardwood for in-home burning.
will pick up and split..

anyone ?

:greenchainsaw:

thanks

Some Late for Firewood

An inconvenient truth: it is some late to be looking for firewood, no ?
You aren't the only one in the north Mom.

Some ideas, since you are supposed to know wood.

1. Ask the arborists or loggers around you for wood that can be cut, split, burnt green. Ashes especially.
2. Call the city7/town road crews or linemen on active jobs with wood they need to "get rid of ". It saves a trip to the town dump for them.
3. Beg, yes beg :jawdrop: friends, neighbors, and others for some of their well-gathered in advance and seasoned firewood. Hang out a sign "will work for firewood" at the mall ( just joking) :confused: .
4. Look around a woodlot or forest for dead standing oaks that have good wood, dry not rotten. Cut said tree, buck, split, burn. No seasoning needed.

Now, next year ?????:censored:
Wood burners get their fuel in at least a year in advance, often 2-3 years.
Please, don't try to burn green wood. Am I giving you a hard time, yes .

I scrounge every stick of firewood I have (5 cords for this winter and 4 already for next) from family neighbors and co workers ask all of them. I find if people know you have a pickup, trailer and a chainsaw and you want wood they come outta the wood work to give it to you. Now I live in an area of the country where most people can't do anything for themselves so they always think you are the one doing the favor. It is late in the season but you may be able to find some seasoned stuff around. Just don't make the mistake of burning wood before its ready. Start concentrating on next years pile.

hi,
i'm in s e wis. and looking for bulk hardwood for in-home burning.
will pick up and split..

anyone ?

:greenchainsaw:

thanks

Unsplit and seasoned wood are 2 different parts of the value added stream of firewood.

S/E WI is big, are you in the MKE Metro area? I work with several companies that are looking for wood disposal sites, but it would be mixed green wood and come in big logs.

1. Ask the arborists or loggers around you for wood that can be cut, split, burnt green. Ashes especially.
2. Call the city7/town road crews or linemen on active jobs with wood they need to "get rid of ". It saves a trip to the town dump for them.
3. Beg, yes beg :jawdrop: friends, neighbors, and others for some of their well-gathered in advance and seasoned firewood. Hang out a sign "will work for firewood" at the mall ( just joking) :confused: .
4. Look around a woodlot or forest for dead standing oaks that have good wood, dry not rotten. Cut said tree, buck, split, burn. No seasoning needed.

:givebeer:

hi...
thanks for your reply.. i know a little about wood. my dad owned a tree service when i was young. and my husband refuses to believe that i know anything about wood..
i just use to buy it .. but now he wants to get it in bulk and cut it himself.

so here we sit without....:censored: also he is putting in candle wax to get it to burn...:dizzy: i kept says.. it's sizzling.. it's not ready !! :censored:

still he refuses to listen to me.. :chainsaw:

today we are socked with snow.. and crankin my furnese up when i could just be burnin wood.....!

sorry ,, i just needed to find a place to vent. and maybe some help. i'm gonna let him read your post so Maybe he will UNDERSTAND ..

thanks

lassie

hey thanks for the idea about hangin the sign at the mall...
love the mall~:greenchainsaw:
but for now, i'm sitting here listening to the sounds of SIZZLE.. :monkey:
and no,, your not giving me a hard time. i understand everything your sayin.

just he won't listen to my advice on firewood.. :chainsaw:

lassie

not ready to burn

can someone post why NOT to burn wood before it's ready ? :monkey:

not for me but for the old man...:stupid:

has anyone heard of Chopper's Tree Service in the Denver Co. area ?

thanks ~

Lassie

can someone post why NOT to burn wood before it's ready ? :monkey:

not for me but for the old man...:stupid:

has anyone heard of Chopper's Tree Service in the Denver Co. area ?

thanks ~

Lassie

simply put: green wood does not burn. you'll go insane trying to burn green wood. it's like trying to burn a wet piece of paper versus a dry piece.

wood has to be dried at least 9 months. period. what part of that is hard for him to understand?

tell him to read this:

http://www.mastersweep.com/wood.htm

Last edited:
Put the Silly One On

Evening Lassie:
Some men (and the rare Other) have limited resources. There are enough here with both brains and experience to 'splain to the wuss what's up with wood.
We do feel your pain.....seriously. :greenchainsaw:
Anyone who needs an "explanation" of why not to burn green wood, needs help. It is not rocket science.
Put him on.:givebeer: I do apologise for the hard time given.
:heart: :heart:

firewood

:newbie:

hey.. it's just nice takin to someone with some mibs... :censored:

kinda funny when them mom knows more than the dad when it
comes to wood..
:dizzy:

and i like talkin about dumb dumb to someone... :chainsaw:

kinda funny that i know a little more about wood than he does..nananana

:clap:

not that i know all that much.. but i know more than him !

Lassie

Last edited:
Green is fresh cut, which means high moisture content.

You have to boil off the water (that sizzling sound you mention) before you can get good heat out of the burn.

Then you have the high carbon smoke that will soot up the chimney. Creosote forms under 300*F, water boils at 212* (??) while celulose burns around around 450?? (what is the title of that famous SF book)

Well seasoned wood has a moisture rate of less then 20%. For some of the high efficiency OWB's you want it around 15%

So...the fresher the wood, the less heat and more smoke.

ex grandfather girdeled a burr oak tree 40 yrs ago---i seen it standing in the woods--no one else wanted to cut it--i did--guess what---the outside of the tree was rotting--approx 2 in was rotted--and by the bottom of tree dia--4 inches had already rotted off!!!!!!!!!! i cut down--sawed to length--then split--the same day--there was water on the inside of the wood---and there was no rot in the center---so the statement of a standing tree being dry dont hold---have seen long dead ash trees doing the same thing--and they were wet inside also---

Maybe in Iowa Oz

ex grandfather girdeled a burr oak tree 40 yrs ago---i seen it standing in the woods--no one else wanted to cut it--i did--guess what---the outside of the tree was rotting--approx 2 in was rotted--and by the bottom of tree dia--4 inches had already rotted off!!!!!!!!!! i cut down--sawed to length--then split--the same day--there was water on the inside of the wood---and there was no rot in the center---so the statement of a standing tree being dry dont hold---have seen long dead ash trees doing the same thing--and they were wet inside also---

We've cut 10's of standing dead red and white oaks or called "pasture oaks" used for field boundaries in New England. Some have been and are easily 5'-6' DBH. No "girdles", no Burr Oaks, not ash. Cambium ( the stuff under the bark ) is usually rot, but then there's good, solid, reasonably dry hardwood, close to ready for firewood after splitting. Damp yes, not wet or green or sizzle stuff. Those dead standing red/white oaks have shelf fungus growing over the bark. Good firewood. That wet is not sap H20, but just plain dampness that dries fast. So dry is dry.
BTW: hereabouts ashes can be cut, split, and burnt green fresh from the stump if needed. Just about the only species we have ( not in Iowae Pogo) that can be burnt unseasoned. So there.......:dizzy:

Something I have experienced with green wood is the need for more air going into the woodstove. This air has to come from somewhere. This usually means drawing cold outside air into the house to replace what is going up the chiminey. You might be able to get it to burn and make a fire but barely able to make heat. The cold outside air is rushing in from as many places as possible , keeping the house from warming up. The kids call this a cold fire.

You need to slap him upside the head and then tell him and show him GREEN WONT BURN! You could also get pallets (skids) and bust them up for firewood in a pinch like your in now. You really need to do like were doing here and cleanup the local public compost pile for wood you will be able to get enough for years to come if you just go every day for six months. The other thing to do to get your self wood is if your near any tree companies ask them to either tell you where they dump there wood or ask them to dump it on your property. They are the best source for wood especially after a bad storm :D and they will usually be able to bury you in wood.

You need to slap him upside the head and then tell him and show him GREEN WONT BURN! You could also get pallets (skids) and bust them up for firewood in a pinch like your in now. You really need to do like were doing here and cleanup the local public compost pile for wood you will be able to get enough for years to come if you just go every day for six months. The other thing to do to get your self wood is if your near any tree companies ask them to either tell you where they dump there wood or ask them to dump it on your property. They are the best source for wood especially after a bad storm :D and they will usually be able to bury you in wood.

thanks for the idea..

and when i slap em upside the head,, who is gonna bail me out ?
:phone:

Back