looking for seasoned hardwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Green is fresh cut, which means high moisture content.

You have to boil off the water (that sizzling sound you mention) before you can get good heat out of the burn.
Then you have the high carbon smoke that will soot up the chimney. Creosote forms under 300*F, water boils at 212* (??) while celulose burns around around 450?? (what is the title of that famous SF book)
Well seasoned wood has a moisture rate of less then 20%. For some of the high efficiency OWB's you want it around 15%
So...the fresher the wood, the less heat and more smoke.
+1! A-yup JPS! And the more (and wetter/dirtier) smoke the more and quicker creosote build up, the faster the chimney fire hazard gremlins approach :chainsaw:
(Fahrenheit 451 btw)

We sensitive types feel your pain Lassie :(

Last edited:
Jps

You have to boil off the water (that sizzling sound you mention) before you can get good heat out of the burn.

Then you have the high carbon smoke that will soot up the chimney. Creosote forms under 300*F, water boils at 212* (??) while celulose burns around around 450?? (what is the title of that famous SF book)

Well seasoned wood has a moisture rate of less then 20%. For some of the high efficiency OWB's you want it around 15%

Repeating the JPS treatise on GREEN...worth showing it to Mr. Dumbo. Print it.
It's common (sic) sense: if you have to burn wood to get heat out of wood, why ? Then again, green wood is heavy, maybe the Mr. needs the exercise :givebeer: . Get the boy out in the woodlot to work some. When he has to grunt green bucks off the ground (if he gets that far) he will know GREEN. :dizzy:
Here on the Right coast, DOPE SLAPS are used for awakenings. Instructions can be found in Google. :spam:

most excellent information!

1. go to first link in AS sticky to JUCA site http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=32667
you will find list of woods and how they burn.

2. now go to bottom of JUCA page and find chart showing "excess moisture to dry weight" chart. burning green wood is of course not recommended, but if one has no choice. chart shows which woods burns best green.

now in my third season using a custom JUCA fireplace insert. this insert is one of the few wood burners that I'm aware of that will burn green wood cleanly (without creosote). barely see wisps out of chimney during operation. little to no creosote was found during recent chimney cleaning.

two surefire ways to tell if your wood stove is burning clean:

1. output of chimney after wood stove has reached operating temps. if you barely see any smoke... your wood stove is burning cleanly.

2. it's always a good idea to clean/inspect your chimney each season.
little to no creosote in chimney is proof positive your wood stove is burning clean.

Last edited:
You got these in Mily Walky

Go to a sheetmetal shop and see if they can give you the pallets that the metal comes on. They are made of hardwood 4x4's and 1x8's and burn real good. Take a hammer and pry bar if you trust your husband with them and break them up so you can hall more in one trip. Don't step on any nails.

Go to the local news paper office as well for pallets, you might also find them free at your local supermarket.

if busting pallets apart to get solid wood appeals to ya..

scan your local craigslist in free section. don't know about where you're at... but there's always someone here in Tulsa looking for folks to haul away pallets for free.

Tulsa offer says to bring a trailer and they will load you up with a forklift.

in same craigslist under free... look for all sorts of free wood offers. everything from folks wanting tree's removed for free (not) to loads of seasoned oak/hickory/pecan already cut down. cut and load.

-the outside of the tree was rotting--approx 2 in was rotted--and by the bottom of tree dia--4 inches had already rotted off!!!!!!!!!!

I've seen a series of pictures from a Bot Garden that had a bur oak off to the side. Some 60 years in the seris and you could see the sapwood falling off the heartwood holding on over the years.

As for the standing deadwood argument, is that green wood?

Ash, yeah, the exception that makes the rule :laugh:

Last edited:
As far as standing dead trees suitable for burning, elms are about the only thing I have had much luck with. American elms are not the best firewood but they are probably better than most softwoods. I burn about a cord of dead american elm every year mixed in with mulberry and oak. Sometimes you will run into a red elm and then you have found a jewel. The old timers preferred it over all others and we have a lot of oak and hickory around here. Starts easy, coals well, burns hot.

I still like to have them sit in the woodshed for a couple of weeks before burning.

Everything else gets seasoned and the elm does too depending on when I cut it.

Don

firewood~

:eek:

well it's january and we had TORNADO'S IN WISCONSIN !!!!!

racine, kenosha lake geneva and wheatland... lots of trees down..

very bad scene in these areas........ :(

and ah we still are woodless.. dumdum is still trying to burn

green wood :bang:

i give up already.. there is only so much i can do..

i can't drive the dump truck ! :censored:

thanks for all the info .. pallets and stuff.. and will let dumdum

know about green wood and chimney.. i swear, he just won't believe me
:stupid:

let me know if anyone comes to the area for the clean up here..

BTW~ i forgot to wish everyone a happy holiday...
hope you had a good one :D

thanks guys ~

Gunnar's Tree Service ~1970's
(my dad):smoking:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back