Looking for some good reading on saw milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verticaltrx

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've done a fair bit of milling with my Alaskan mill in the past, but now having just purchased a bandsaw mill (a little Hud-Son HFE-21) I figured I better hone my sawing skills a little as I take on bigger projects. I'd like to learn more about all aspects of milling, from proper stacking and sealing, to cutting lumber that won't warp, drying times, air drying vs kiln drying, to efficient log handling, etc. If anyone can recommend any good books, websites, or threads it would be most appreciated.

(As a thank you I'll try to do a thread on the mill with an honest review and some pics once I get sawing with it.)

I have and have read the second book Bob has suggested. A lot of nice information in it, but it did seem a little 'beginner-ish'...think it was written for the person that has never seen a tree before?
I just put the first book on my 'wish list' for later purchase, or whenever I get some 'expendable cash'.....

As a fella that has a small LT-10 mill, I can say the 'school of hard knocks' will be your best teacher. Hate to say it, but a lot of the regurgitated information that is handed out around the 'net....not just wrong, but some is just straight up BS. You have plentiful timber in your area, cut some stuff and find out what happens. Bands are typically pretty inexpensive to sharpen....

Scott (take photos and videos and watch yourself working) B

"Harvesting Urban Lumber" is a great reference. Has a lot of info that goes beyond just sawmilling. I have a copy and recommend it highly.

Thanks for the replies, I'll look into those.

I've only milled a couple logs but so far I'm really liking it. Although the mill isn't terribly fast with a 6.5hp motor, the log setup time vs the chainsaw mill is much quicker and the whole process is much easier. I still need to setup more bed sections so I can do some longer logs, then hopefully I can really give it a test.

I have Understanding Wood and would also suggest that book as well- this will be more helpful in log selection and using the knowledge of wood movement to to improve your wood curing and woodworking techniques. May help with log orientation on your mill to match your particular application (if you are going to get that detailed).
I also agree with Scott, i spent near a year prior to actually milling my first log just researching and reading; mostly on this site. Not sure i need to wait that long but the first time i milled a log i said to myself... man i really over thought this... since i just needed to do it to know the right questions to begin asking.

I really like this guy in Canada, his website is full of wonderful information and shop tips . This thread is all about his homemade portable band saw mill - http://woodgears.ca/bandmill/index.html - videos are worth watching.
Good Thread on Moving Logs -
http://www.*****************/board/...ml?PHPSESSID=3c5cd272f3a7fb416c660f6702c986aa
-also try searching for videos of "parbuckling"

Latest posts

Back