Looking for wood furnace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was pretty cold today. It was 30 out when I left work at 330 and good wind. Got home at 430 and the house was toasty warm at 75 degrees! Awesome! And here's a pic of what left from the day. Still plenty of heat to prob last till bedtime!

Amish folks use our Caddy's without blowers of course. So they are in a state of continuous power outage... I've been in their houses and they are quite ingenious and build their house around air flows. They design a large inverted funnel plenum that feeds into large floor grates. They undo the bottom or rear the furnace as their cold air.

I never realized the Amish burn Caddy's, but I guess you have referenced it before. Makes sense, they squeeze every last drop out of everything. Around here is a stove shop where the Amish build furnaces and stoves, similar to the Hitzers. We are surrounded by many Amish around here, not the commercialized Amish either.

I've pulled the access door off the return of our furnace before to change the blower speed. When I removed the panel, the air was rushing in through the furnace into the ductwork. I know the design has been changed, but it's nice to be able to remove the panel in 2 seconds without any tools in case of an outage, or simply for access.

That was 13 hrs.. How many splits of white oak did you put in? Was anyone home today? How hot was it at 9 am?

I never realized the Amish burn Caddy's, but I guess you have referenced it before. Makes sense, they squeeze every last drop out of everything. Around here is a stove shop where the Amish build furnaces and stoves, similar to the Hitzers. We are surrounded by many Amish around here, not the commercialized Amish either.

I forgot if you are near but we have an Amish dealer in Millersburg OH is one of the biggest dealer we have. People drive from miles around to shop at his place. (no electricity)

We also have other amish dealers in PA & IN. Great folks.

Hey Iowa, what setting have you been running your kuuma on? And have ya been monitoring the flue gas temps to see what they've been running?

Hey Iowa, what setting have you been running your kuuma on? And have ya been monitoring the flue gas temps to see what they've been running?

I have my setting on 1. For the mildest weather. My stove pipe is ranging between 150-200 degrees. And that's less than a foot from the furnace. Looking in the damper T into the strovepipe it is clean. Just a very slight white chalky powder here and there.

I know this goes against all burning techniques. But no smoke does equal no creasote! The only smoke I see is right when I load it. Otherwise there's no smoke!

Words getting out. I had a call this afternoon from a guy by Lake of the Ozarks, mo. He's very interested. Says he might swing down and take a look at my Vaporfire when he's in the area.

How doe's he know you have one? Do you meet people and say, Hi I'm iowa, I have a new wood furnace. You should get one.

Seriouslyly tho. Still like it alot know that you have been using it for awhile? Got the H2O done yet?

How doe's he know you have one? Do you meet people and say, Hi I'm iowa, I have a new wood furnace. You should get one.

Seriouslyly tho. Still like it alot know that you have been using it for awhile? Got the H2O done yet?

Yeah. I walk the streets and announce I have this new revolutionary wood furnace!!! LOL. No. I told Darrel if he wanted to give out my number to anyone in my area, he could do so. I know lots of people like to see the product before buying. And it's a bit of a drive from here to Northern Mn. This guy didn't even know about AS. He had found the Lamppa ad in a farm mag. or something.

I do not have the H2O done yet. Waiting on a plumber to give me a quote yet. But other than that. I LOVE this furnace. Granted we haven't had much for cold weather yet, it's been keeping us plenty warm with very little wood! I put 4 sticks of wood in last night before bed. Overnight temps fell to 37. It was 75 in the house when I woke up!

Thanks guys we really appreciate the good PR... I have seen first hand how long and how hard my dad has worked to develop our Vapor-Fire furnaces so I know how much he deserves to grow and succeed. :rock:

Essex boilers

I/ve had an Essex wood boiler for over 25 yrs. which is also a smoke burner. During this time, I have sent a brush through my chimney once. A small shop in Mass. can still make them but at considerable cost. Used units rarely come on the market. I can give you a list of pros and cons if your interested, but I've saved a fortune with it. Some questions you might ask of the units being suggested are:
1. How frequently is a clean out needed, and what is the procedure. Considerable ash dust may be generated.
2. If the burn of the smoke is accomplished with heated refractory bricks, how often must they be replaced, and what do they cost. Are they off the shelf items at any brick store, or are they available only through their dealer.
3. Is there a mechanism for handling excess heat? Does it cycle on and off? Is it controlled by electricity? Having to open the windows in the Winter really puts a crimp on efficiency.

Yeah. I walk the streets and announce I have this new revolutionary wood furnace!!! LOL. No. I told Darrel if he wanted to give out my number to anyone in my area, he could do so. I know lots of people like to see the product before buying. And it's a bit of a drive from here to Northern Mn. This guy didn't even know about AS. He had found the Lamppa ad in a farm mag. or something.

I do not have the H2O done yet. Waiting on a plumber to give me a quote yet. But other than that. I LOVE this furnace. Granted we haven't had much for cold weather yet, it's been keeping us plenty warm with very little wood! I put 4 sticks of wood in last night before bed. Overnight temps fell to 37. It was 75 in the house when I woke up!

Its real easy. If you can build a monster splitter like hedge's, you will have no problem plumbing it in. If You have any questions on anything just give me a ring.

Its real easy. If you can build a monster splitter like hedge's, you will have no problem plumbing it in. If You have any questions on anything just give me a ring.

Well, I really don't have the time or patients with plumbing in a bunch of copper lines! Not my cup of tea.

Give me a saw, mill, lathe, torch, and welder and I'll be happy!

Well I spent Christmas Eve at my uncle's house and Christmas Day at my parent's house. Below zero around here and I was in a T-Shirt both days because of their Kuuma Vapor-Fire 100's. Uncle's was 74 degrees and my parent's was 73 degrees. A little to warm for me but still beats the alternative... ;)

First real cold weather here. Highs around 28 and low was 16 this morning. Been 76 in house during day and 74 when I get up. :)

Latest posts

Back