Looking for wood furnace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That flue looks like there's an extra elbow, and 90, than the manufacturer recommends.

Sorry, just bustin chops.

looking for the best wood furnace

Hi guys, i want to buy a very good log indoor burning warm air furnace and ship it to Scotland to replace an old Rheem oil burning job. who makes the Rolls Royce of furnaces? the last thing i need is warranty hassles etc over here! i like the look of the Charmaster and the Kuumas
i need to heat a 5 bedroom ground level house average winter temp same as Northern Michigan i guess. your comments are much appreciated.

Charmaster's theory is to form a big bed of charcoal throughout the whole fire box and that's the worst thing you can do when burning wood because when you get down to the coals there's no heat left and you have all of the coals to deal with. Our furnace goes through the 3 stages of burning wood, which are the gases, cellulose and then coals as it moves backwards and you don't have all the coals in the way when you want to refire. We still have coals for 15 hrs. for refiring without lighting a match.

I'd say Kuuma would be the rolls royse of wood furnaces!

Perhaps Lamppa can shine the light on shipping over the pond. I know Darrell hates the shipping part!

Btw. Estes denied my claim. Them ba st ages !!

Hi guys, i want to buy a very good log indoor burning warm air furnace and ship it to Scotland to replace an old Rheem oil burning job. who makes the Rolls Royce of furnaces? the last thing i need is warranty hassles etc over here! i like the look of the Charmaster and the Kuumas
i need to heat a 5 bedroom ground level house average winter temp same as Northern Michigan i guess. your comments are much appreciated.

Not too many Rolls Royce around here but there are Cadillacs. You could also check out PSG Caddy line of furnaces.

We make them, they are EPA and/or CSA B415 therefore there is no smoke. We are also an international company so parts and warranty is not a problem.

One thing to make sure is Europe has different emission standards than North America and you should check it's ok to burn there. There is also the 120V to 240V you will have to contend with.

Also you might want to tell us what your house dimensions, insulation etc... as much info as possible so you make the right purchase.

Check us out at PSG Biomass Furnaces

Last edited:
Thats it? They say no and it's all over. Sick the wife or mother on them, they will pay. Can't let people get away with that, or they will start refusing everyone.

The in-laws all came in from Iowa last Wed. and left on Sunday. My house is now called "The Sauna". LOL. It was pretty chilly while they were here. Usually in the upper 20's to lower 30's. House was always a constant 76!!!

LOVE IT!!!!

Sooo... You like it better than your old long wood! H2O in yet?

OMG. Without a doubt! I use way less wood!

But the best part............ Piece of mind.... Loading that furnace in the morning and at night and not having to worry about a flue fire!

Have you had it on anything but low yet. I thought it was supposed to be a high of 35 today, so this morning I only threw in a few soft maple splits. Well it was a high of 16, starting at 2 deg. When I got home from work the house was 62 and 14 outside. I turned the computer on high, some soft maple in the fire box, house was 72 in an hour. My oil boiler would have taken all night. Furnace is back on low, keeping us nice and warm.

Yup. Only low here too! Wife didn't put wood in it all day. So I loaded it last night at 10pm. Came home to 75 in house and lots of coals.

We got some ice and sleet on Thursday. Temps have been chilly for this yr lately. Highs around 30. Low last night was 15.

Woke up to 73 degrees in the house today.

Oh. Did I tell ya... I love my Kuuma Vaporfire 100!!! :msp_biggrin:

Well here is a question for you all. Got a budget of $1500.00 for a wood furnace maybe less or a hair more house is a ranch about 1600 sq ft. What wood furnace would you suggest. I also need to run duct work since my home was built in the 80's and it has electric base board. Been looking at Eanglander and Daka. Cant afford the big boy's.

Well here is a question for you all. Got a budget of $1500.00 for a wood furnace maybe less or a hair more house is a ranch about 1600 sq ft. What wood furnace would you suggest. I also need to run duct work since my home was built in the 80's and it has electric base board. Been looking at Eanglander and Daka. Cant afford the big boy's.

My experience is that you will spend $1500 just for your duct work if you have none now, maybe more.
Any chance you could make gravity heat work, or use a stove?

I'm all for a wood furnace, but like mentioned above, ductwork isn't cheap. I did our entire home about 6 years ago and it was 1,200 then. A nice EPA certified stove may work just fine for you. I've heard the horror stories of baseboard heating and the high bills. Do you already have a chimney in place?

Stove wont work putting it in the man room of the basement the other half is finished, i had an alaska stoker in there pushing the air to the livingroom. Building a chimney in the spring. Can I make a plenum and branch off with eight inch round pipe. Got to put the wall or floor duct in to.

Last edited:
Back