Looking to start up a business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cbush314

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey there,

I'm looking to start up a tree service. I was wondering if anyone with an established business could give me a few pointers on getting started. Any help would be very appreciated.

Do it slowly if you can. Start out part time.Weekends, and nights. Buy everything you need, saws,ropes,climbing&rigging gear. Get doubles if possible. Take your time and build it right and legal. Register your business with the state and IRS, get all the insurance you need. The better foundation you build now the better your business will run in the future. Oh yeah and ADVERTISE, get your name out there until you've done enough work to start getting referrals. Look professional and act professional, people like that. Take your time and do it right the first time. You're not going to get rich but you can make a decent living. Good luck.

Go spend one to two hundred grand on all the equipment you need then get some trees to take down or just wait for a good storm.:msp_tongue:

Thanks, I appreciate your serious advice. I am currently cutting up down trees to be sold as bonfire wood as well as some oak that I am splitting to sell for fire wood. I think I am going to start out doing this on the side and building my way up instead of getting myselft into debt and twiddle my fingers looking for work. what kind of licenses are there as well as insureance?

Do it slowly if you can. Start out part time.Weekends, and nights. Buy everything you need, saws,ropes,climbing&rigging gear. Get doubles if possible. Take your time and build it right and legal. Register your business with the state and IRS, get all the insurance you need. The better foundation you build now the better your business will run in the future. Oh yeah and ADVERTISE, get your name out there until you've done enough work to start getting referrals. Look professional and act professional, people like that. Take your time and do it right the first time. You're not going to get rich but you can make a decent living. Good luck.

I have cut down a hand full of trees, but I really enjoy it and would like to do it more. I have a few friends who are very experienced and often drop trees for family and friends so I have someone to help me. But as for climbing, I havent a clue... This is obviously something that I will need to learn how to do.

Biggest thing is the right insurance coverage and being able to sell the fact that you are fully insured properly. I also suggest if you dont have any real experince that may want to take a course in it. We just had a micro burst here in Finger Lakes and lots of wannabes got hurt. I've been climbing ten years with no course but I watched many climbers since nine years old. I have been running my company for last four years. Refferals are a great way to get work, flyers, door to door ( sucks but works if your desprate or trying to drum up more work while your in a good community). But the biggest thing is be safe!

Last edited:
Learn how to do the job right. Getting lucky on a few take downs doesn't make you a "tree man". Luck runs out sooner or later. Don't be afraid to say no to a job if you're uncomfotable with it. There is a reason that only a few do the nasty jobs.

As a 19 year old college student you need to realize that this is not a business that you get into without learning and experience. The best advice I can give you is to work for a PROFESSIONAL tree company (not your friends who are "very experienced") for a few years to learn how to do things the right way. If I was you I sure as hell would want to, not go into something as dangerious as this with no experience. Start out as a groundie and if you are good you'll learn how to climb. There are excellent courses that you can take but there is no substitute for experience.

As a 19 year old college student you need to realize that this is not a business that you get into without learning and experience. The best advice I can give you is to work for a PROFESSIONAL tree company (not your friends who are "very experienced") for a few years to learn how to do things the right way. If I was you I sure as hell would want to, not go into something as dangerious as this with no experience. Start out as a groundie and if you are good you'll learn how to climb. There are excellent courses that you can take but there is no substitute for experience.

This is great advice, learning from your mistakes is fine if your painting a fence, but in this game the mistakes you make are all to often career ending, and sometimes, life taking. You will make alot more money and run a better operation if you know what you doing and not just basically guessing as you are now.

Actually Cbush, I completely concur with Grouchy Old Man. If you want to start a professional tree service then get to school for Business and get a job with a large, although not ROW, tree company on the side. Nothing replaces experience in this profession! As many Oaks or pines or maples that you may cut every tree acts differently. Experience is the only savior. Once you know how to run a business and you know your shiite, you will probably change your mind. In the men time be safe and save your pennies for school.

Aw c'mon, is this for real?

I own a pair of pliers, I want to be an electrician, does anybody have any advice?

Tell me you love trees, you are fascinated by their stucture and beauty, you have been reading every book you can find of tree care, ID, pest and disease and climbing and knots. You've been watching professionals at work and are really interested in how they do it, and make it look easy...

THEN come back and ask for some advice.

dont start a business

I have cut down a hand full of trees, but I really enjoy it and would like to do it more. I have a few friends who are very experienced and often drop trees for family and friends so I have someone to help me. But as for climbing, I havent a clue... This is obviously something that I will need to learn how to do.

hey i wouldnt start a business until u learn how to climb, trust your ropes and are somewhat confident up in the tree good luck to you stay safe

I cant believe its lasted this long with out getting out of controll.

Back