Looks like the ms400 has arrived

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Owning a 462 makes a 400 pointless anyways.
What you’re saying makes complete sense however I think these two guys were looking for excuses to buy a 400 rather than reasons not to,…. you know CAD.
I do see a 400 wearing a 18” bar would be a good reason to buy one. Then buy a 462 with a 20” bar, you don’t really want to be changing bars when you can reach for another saw.

What you’re saying makes complete sense however I think these two guys were looking for excuses to buy a 400 rather than reasons not to,…. you know CAD.
I do see a 400 wearing a 18” bar would be a good reason to buy one. Then buy a 462 with a 20” bar, you don’t really want to be changing bars when you can reach for another saw.

:yes:

Why not two ms400s both with 18" bars, but one would have chisel, and the other semi-chisel. And have another, a third 400, with the 18" but with skip. When on the job and time is of importance, who's got time to be messing with chains? :crazy2:

MontanaResident, I think you’re in the same boat as me, have a 50cc saw then jump up to a 79cc saw (although I have a 550xp and 7900). That’s a 30cc jump up, it’s said that 15cc increments is the ideal gap between saws. That makes the 66cc Ms400 the ideal candidate to fill the gap and cure our CAD LOL.
Personally I’m not an early adopter, I thank I’ll wait another year before jumping in. Let them iron out the bugs.

MontanaResident, I think you’re in the same boat as me, have a 50cc saw then jump up to a 79cc saw (although I have a 550xp and 7900). That’s a 30cc jump up, it’s said that 15cc increments is the ideal gap between saws. That makes the 66cc Ms400 the ideal candidate to fill the gap and cure our CAD LOL.
Personally I’m not an early adopter, I thank I’ll wait another year before jumping in. Let them iron out the bugs.

I don't have CAD as most here do. I bought 2 saws this year, but sold 2 saws to pay for them. I have no real plans to buy another. 2 saws is plenty, and the 261 and the 500 is IMO the perfect two to have for my cutting. I do have an 880, that I traded for with some cash and a handgun. I'm glad the handgun is gone, now I wish the 880 was gone too. Most of my cutting is in awkward and steep slopes, and it is all I can do to lug that ridiculously heavy saw around let alone use to drop a BIG tree.

I've got a 261 and a 462. I was waiting for what seemed like forever to get the 500i, and got tired of waiting, so I just said screw it and got the 462. And in all honesty, the 462 is too heavy for me to carry all day long anymore. Guess I'm getting older. To me, the 462 or 500i and a 261 seemed like the perfect combination. But now that I've got the 462, and realized that it's really too heavy for me, I'm sure the 500i would be too heavy for me as well. But I'd sure love to give fuel injection a try. So, I'd like to ditch the 462 for a 400, and see how that works for me. My property was selectively logged about 12 years ago (before I owned it), so most of the hardwood that I have left is 18" or smaller. So, I think I could probably get away with the 400-261 combination no problem.

I'm a 60/90 cc fan but this should be classed more closely to a 70cc classed saw, I think it's close to 67cc. I do find it a very attractive model with decent power for its size and the light weight of it is a big plus, but before I run out and buy one I'll give it a few to see how it does.

I've got a 261 and a 462. I was waiting for what seemed like forever to get the 500i, and got tired of waiting, so I just said screw it and got the 462. And in all honesty, the 462 is too heavy for me to carry all day long anymore. Guess I'm getting older. To me, the 462 or 500i and a 261 seemed like the perfect combination. But now that I've got the 462, and realized that it's really too heavy for me, I'm sure the 500i would be too heavy for me as well. But I'd sure love to give fuel injection a try. So, I'd like to ditch the 462 for a 400, and see how that works for me. My property was selectively logged about 12 years ago (before I owned it), so most of the hardwood that I have left is 18" or smaller. So, I think I could probably get away with the 400-261 combination no problem.

Seems that the 400 and the 462 are going for the same market. Make sense to me to put a magnesium piston in the 462, and call it a day. As far as getting to old, I can't carry myself all day. I might be able to sit all day and hold a saw. The 880 is simply a monster to handle in rough terrain. I fell one 30 inch tree this year with it. It was only ten feet from the road, but in a crowded mess of growth. I barely got started and wanted my 461. If I had a logging truck dump a load of logs on my property, I'd love to go at it with the 880. All else hand me something else.

Got a call from Ace Hardware in Missoula,
Loved visiting there in the early 80's when I lived in Great Falls.
I went to a branch of their college in GF and used to go there to party as a youngster.
There was a college bar there that had barber chairs to take shots in I recall.

Dont happen to know any Rohrbach's there do ya? I lost track of a good friend from there when I left in winter 85.

Retail 400 can be had cheaper with a good dealer. IMO just a great replacement for the 362. Same saw bigger bore.

s400price.jpg

Back