Loose axe handle repair tips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilson_tree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The head on this Arvika 5 Star has been a PITA to hang. I got a good mount on it last year, but now it is loose again. I use the axe 4-5 days a week so it is to be expected, but it is a pain. Any suggestions for tightening the handle fit? I have a wedge in it, and the wedge is glued with gorilla glue, so I can't knock it out and put in a fatter wedge. As I said, this axe has been a problem to hang. I had to pin it to get any life at all out of my handle fit. I was thinking of sawing the wedge and driving in a new wedge but I don't think a wood wedge would be able to split its way far enough into the head to make a difference. Which leads me to consider pounding a metal wedge in and just bashing the heck out of it. Other ideas would be appreciated. Any one else have an axe that seems to spit out handles?

View attachment 263291

what about storing it head down in a bucket of oil to swell the wood, I think it mineral oil my Grandfather told me to use but I don't remember.

Soak the head and handle (Just past the head) in a bucket of kerosine or diesel for a few days or longer ( if you have all kinds of glue over the end grain you will need to sand it off to expose the grain.) this will cause the fibers to swell ( thats why it takes a few days or longer) and tighten head. How well this will work with a ton of glue in there I do not know, never used glue.

Refrain from soaking in water unless you go through many handles for other reasons. The wood will get into a pattern of swelling and contracting, and we all know what that does to the ends of our firewood. I'd say those wood wedges are not the best to use, but metal ones are better. Also look at the ridges in the metal ones to see that they are angles and sharpened just enough that they bite in so it doesn't just work back out. Good wood for a handle is also best, but generally not what you'll buy at lowes or home depot

Do it right the first time. Take off the axe head and reslit the handle so that a new wood wedge will fit. If you do it correct you won't need a steel ring.

edit: I forgot make sure that the handle is really dry. Or else you will have the same problem.

Last edited:
Living in the desert Southwest, I've tried a lot of different ways to keep a handle tight. The one I found to work the best is a product called "Chair Lock". It goes into the fiber of the wood and swells it, and then crystalizes so it doesn't shrink back. The last bottle I got was from Woodworkers Supply.

Andy

Soaking in water works.

That works, a couple of decades back an old timer friend from Alaska told me they used automotive anti-freeze as it
wouldn't freeze dry in the cold temps.

On the older stuff keep it out of the reach of 'Mans best Friend'

Back