Lost My Wood Gathering Partner Today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nothing with no arms and legs has any right to move that darn fast!!

Find a snake, and the first thing you should do is decide if it is poisonous. If not, then let it be unless it already has a coil around your middle... I grew up with snakes my mother keeps them as pets. Garter snakes, and then ribbon snakes, and finally we are on our second Corn. Emily the corn snake is awsum. You wiggle a mousy in her face and like I said... nothing should be able to move that fast!!! :msp_w00t:

I have met a few rattlers, and them things ain't so bright, and being somewhat dangerous I leave them at distance. Elsewhere in the world you guys have much more to look out for!

Farmboy is right. You eradicate something and whatever it was eating is now gonna over run ya!

Find a snake, and the first thing you should do is decide if it is poisonous. If not, then let it be unless it already has a coil around your middle... I grew up with snakes my mother keeps them as pets. Garter snakes, and then ribbon snakes, and finally we are on our second Corn. Emily the corn snake is awsum. You wiggle a mousy in her face and like I said... nothing should be able to move that fast!!! :msp_w00t:

I have met a few rattlers, and them things ain't so bright, and being somewhat dangerous I leave them at distance. Elsewhere in the world you guys have much more to look out for!

Farmboy is right. You eradicate something and whatever it was eating is now gonna over run ya!

Least of many evils. Much more shy of man than RATS!!!!

Related:
My wife no longer gets firewood to bring in the house due to her assault from a little brown mouse that was sitting on the firewood pile as she was fetching logs one day.
Granted; I have a cat that sat there and watched her throw my precious BL splits at said mouse; who-to his Pinky [from Pinky and the Brain] level superior intellect-sat there realizing she couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if it fell on her. After 10 splits launched across my lawn she gave up and ran inside.

I think the cat and mouse were in cahoots. Cat doesn't catch mice and the mouse, well, I don't know what his story is. Interrogation ended when I introduced the snap-trap to my arsenal.

Sorry for your loss fellow AS'er. Can I borrow your snake? Maybe it will catch the next mouse that happens to venture by.

I'd drag your partner out to do some firewooding and make sure she "finds" some diamond earrings or the like in the woodpile. That should change her tune.

Here's one that's puzzling me a bit.
Have seen a good 4 footer of a rat snake around here, that 3 brick long one on the wall
and month ago 'bout 20 incher headed for high ground, after a heavy rain..
But haven't seen the first shed skin anywhere, in recent years.

I am glad to see the rat catchers hanging out though.

Can't blame your missus... I don't like snakes either. Not one little bit. Ain't no matter if they're poisonous or not, I just don't like 'em.

We had several black snakes around here; I'd dispatch 'em with a shovel, hoe or whatever I had at hand when I saw one. Give 'em to the dog to chew on.

Come the following season, the place was rife with ground moles. Them little hill rows were everywhere. The SheWolf couldn't even have her flower bed, the moles were that bad. She got one of those little battery-operated noisemakers to stick in the ground near her flowers.

She told me not to kill any more snakes. I didn't like the way she said "you better not," so I haven't. :D

I used to catch snakes, put them in a box and give it to my brother. That prank never got old.

I dont really have to worry about snakes around here. My dog can finds them and kills them. He can track a snake like a beagle tracks a deer.

I don't like snakes any more

Few years back I was fly fishing in the south east corner of Washington State on the Grand Ronde River when a thunder; lighting and rain storm rolled in (I was about 3 miles from my trailer up river); I was fishing with a two-handed rod (13' long) so I dropped the rod and jumped into a hole were a huge tree that blew over. When the storm had past all I could hear was rattle of a rattle snakes I counted 4 of them these snakes were about 3 1/2 foot long you should have seen how fast this 6'1" 280 man got out of there :cool2:

I don't like them too much either. I'm not really afraid of them- I can be around one and not want to run away, but I am pretty damn uncomfortable when I encounter one (and I'm just talking unharmful black, water, and garter snakes- Stuff we have in OH). Put me up against a copperhead, rattler, anything over 2.5-3ft, and I'm screaming like a little schoolgirl :msp_biggrin:
I blame it on my childhood :msp_rolleyes: my mom absolutely hates them, can't even watch them on tv, so growing up I never had much contact. Now owning my own house in the boonies with a pond, and wood stacks everywhere you look- I have encountered a few (3 this year, first time ever since owning my home 3 yrs now). Got freaked out at first but I am trying everything I can to conquer it- with everything I just mentioned it is inevitable I will see a ton of them throughout my lifetime, so best to just try to get used to them.
Nothing else really bothers me- mice and spiders (though I always kill both, if found in the house) moles frogs lizards I'm cool with all of them.
Now I just need to find a woman who can deal with all that as well

Don't mind the Garters, Rat, Hog nose, But them Timber rattlers we got up here put me in a real sweat, Likely because I got nailed many years ago in AZ, was not a fun time. I haven't had any run ins in around my home area but have further north and over along the Mississippi ( geeze, Did I spell that right?) I consider the tics and Brown Recluse spiders more dangerous than the snakes only because I can't see them first, dang sneaky little bas..... !

Sorry to hear about losing your good helper, hopefully a little time will lessen the fear and she will be back at it. I dont care much for snakes, but not having any around here that are really dangerous helps me to keep rational thoughts. I also keep reminding myself that they are beneficial.:msp_smile:

Ron

Latest posts

Back