lots of pulling to get bar oil into the carburetor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
It's been a fun time up here.
I had a gentlemen come in with a 461 that would not run. He said it would run on choke... Store was busy, I finally got a chance to give it a look over.
Found bar oil in the fuel tank, and of coarse fuel in the oil tank.
I figured I had best open up the carb and see how much got pulled into there. A lot.... For the few bucks, I replaced the diaphrams, flushed the tank out, replaced the fuel filter, spark plug. It fired right up and run nicely. He picked it up yesterday, and I asked him if he knew what he did. Then I told him:
"oil in the fuel tank, and fuel in the oil tank". I left it at that. He paid the bill, and went out the back door a bit sheepishly.

One of my next projects is a 064 that has not been run in 10 years... I think there is hope, but the carburetor is in rough shape.

On with the fun!

Last year I serviced a vintage Homelite Super 2 that suffered from the same malady. It had been resting in the owner's garage as a non-runner for at least 10 years. He told me he was farsighted and paid the repair bill with a huge smile on his face.

Everyone is new at some point. My first saw was an electric Poulan. I tried and tried to tighten the chain with the bar nuts still tight. Totally ruined the tensioning adjustment on that saw. I'm glad I learned on that thing and not something expensive.

I put bar oil in an echo gas tank. Didn't try and start it just dumped it and started over. Smoked like a mosquito fogging machine for about 20 mins

Back