Lots of questions about footlocking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bigshots are good. How high can a big shoot shoot? Bout 50-60m?

How long would it take to body thrust that...

trying new things

Not that high, usually 30 M tops, mebbe a little more with a lighter bag.
Jim1NZ said:
How long would it take to body thrust that...
I guess one would have to ask one's self, am I a tree climber, or am I a body thruster?

Generally, all I want to do it get to the first limb, and then its tree climbing. Even though the rope is set high and I'm connected to the rope with ascenders, I don't generally ascend any more. Absolutely, the rope and ascenders are used as needed to advance through crux spots, but it's tree climbing and flipline work to get in position and be tied in twice for the cuts.

For my entire career, up until about three months ago, I would get up to the first limb, apply the descent piece immediately, work the rest of the tree off of that, attaching ascenders only if I got into a situation requiring the actual ascent of the rope. Ascenders, once in the crown, were infrequently used and immediately swapped back out for the descent piece after getting past the ascendable moments.

These recent weeks, however, I'm working off the ascender more and more. This is because I found a very guick, almost instant way to add bombproof security to the ascender that gives me unquestionable 100% confidence in it. I have the video clips, and showing the entire application of security takes only about a second and a half, so it's ideal for the dial-up guys. Everyone is included in these video clips (securing both single handled AND dual handled ascenders).

Do you want to see it? I have to go back through some tape, get it onto the computer and send it onward. This should be shared.

Last edited:
Yea i wouldn't mind seeing it, if its not too much trouble.
TM - What do you mean you work off a decent piece? What like a figure 8?
Only 40m with the big shot? I can just about throw ball 30m, it dose get hard to hit the target at that height though i must admit.

You all need the Harrison rocket throw balls! Best made.

What about the assisted speed ascent?

You know, pulley at base of tree acting as redirect for tail of climbing line, connect the Kanga to climbing line with a prussik, reverse and haul the climber to the work position ... all the climber has to do is slide his prussik!

Now that's efficiency .... and how old fat blokes do it!

Latest posts

Back