love my 5x8 trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue924.9

flannel wearin sumbitch
Reaction score
i swear this thing is the handiest little thing on wheels i can haul. and built like a brick outhouse to boot. homemade 5x8 trailer, 5200 pound axle 2500 pound hubs, and the heaviest built frame i have seen in my life, i call it a triple frame honestly, the floor is out of a wrecked semi stock trailer, its aluminum with a cast in i beam frame, the runners on the aluminum floor frame run north and south ( or the long way up and down the trailer). then there is a double c channel frame that are welded together to basically form a u channel, this is on both sides of the outside runner on the floor frame, the double c channel frame and aluminum floor frame are bolted together with a bolt every foot around the entire outside perimeter of the trailer, the double u channel frame has cross members welded every foot, these are welded in face up so that they sit across the runners on the floor. finally there is a triangular frame welded to the double c channel frame that connects to the tongue of the trailer, all of this creates an incredibly strong frame, as a bonus every piece of steel on the trailer is not just regular steel oh no its hardened steel. however this may have a slight drawback, as last year i cracked the weld on the front left side of the trailer, so now after today and a bunch of welding i can say my trailer is even more overbuilt than it was previously. anyhow i'll get a pic of the trailer i happen to be bragging about in a bit, as well as my handiwork today lol.

i will i did a little experimenting with trailer suspension and went way out of the box with the suspension design on this one, rather than using the short little 1 inch shackle links on the trailer, i got some steel and cut custom 4 and a half inches shackles, this gave me increased suspension travel, so the springs have more weight capacity, and it also gave me a better shackle to frame angle, with the new links in there i have an 180 degree angle, the links are straight up and down. with the old links i was at about a 110 degree angle, this gave the suspension a poor angle and gave road forces for leverage to bottom out the springs relatively quickly, these springs are a in a pack of 5 so they are no light weight springs, yet with the poor angle i could squat the trailer considerably by standing on the corners, and a half a load of dried wood would bottom it out, so its a cheap and effective way to give your trailer a boost in spring capacity for about 15 bucks and maybe an hour in time with tool cleanup.

2014-05-15071932_zpsbf9ea4b1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
2014-05-15071932_zpsbf9ea4b1.jpg

here is the trailer, tow rig combo

and of my handiwork, the frame cracked the weld where the two channels come together, so i welded the top of the crack, plated and welded the bottom of the crack and them welded and heated up and bent the piece around the two channels to tie them together even more, i just wrapped the other side since that channel was cracked
unnamed_zpshzh3cjla.jpg

also the longer shackle links give the suspension more travel so that i can now in theory travel better over rough terrain, i will also be putting on a set of 15 inch tires and rims i got off the car i bought for parts:rock:

Latest posts

Back