Love the Ironbark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Hogden

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Love the Shindys
1b9275f1599680c32b37f51e14a1f8c5.jpg

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

Nice hot wood the old ironbark.
I had a mate from Alabama stay with us here in OZ for a couple of years about 20 years ago. He was blown away by the heat that came off Iron bark. He still talks about it today.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

Here in the states it’s hickory, white oak, red oak for cold nights, but any birch species will burn hot, but doesn’t last long to bring the house up to temp. Then the higher btu woods take over, nothing like the warmth of wood. I been burning wood since 1979.

I’ve heard that wattle is a but like redgum, it burns hot but burns quickly. It’s good for kindling as it warms up quickly [emoji1305]

Any of you guys burn bluegum?Havn't tried myself.
Or mixing in wattle.Ash is a b$!ch though.
I burn 99% pepmint.

Yeah i burn mostly peppermint. So available and brilliant to manage. Some stringy, redbox and yellowbox.

Bluegum i hear is very ashy. Makes sense seeing as it grows more in the gullies and wetter spots.

I’ve heard that wattle is a but like redgum, it burns hot but burns quickly. It’s good for kindling as it warms up quickly [emoji1305]

Yeah burning wattle isnt such a bad thing. Like going camping and looking for firewood. Its astounding that most people dont even consider it for the campfire. Hope they dont catch on!

Red box would be my favourite firewood, closely followed by yellow box. They’re both very heavy, dense wood but they both provide fantastic heat [emoji1305]

Easy green or dry?
I was led to believe blue here in Tassy was near impossible to split dry.
As I said I have never tried it.

The last Blue gum I cut was dry and about 10" in diameter, also very straight grained... Even though that wood was particularly easy to split I've never come across Blue gum that I'd consider tough to split, perhaps some of the species of Blue gum are different in Tassy?

Latest posts

Back