Lowballers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Similar event many years ago. A couple of guys, with an overloaded dump truck, on one of the hottest days of the year, going door to door

HIM: "A full cord is only 16 inches by 8 feet!"

ME: "That's a face cord."

HIM: "What you have staked out is a logger's cord!"

Needless to say, I did not end up buying any wood from them, but at least we resolved the differences before he unloaded it. Good to clarify terms.

Philbert

Fortunately, our here on the left coast, nobody's heard of a face cord. It's illegal to sell wood by the face-cord, rick, truck load, wheel barrow load, peach bin or any other fraudulent unit of measure.

Fortunately, our here on the left coast, nobody's heard of a face cord. It's illegal to sell wood by the face-cord, rick, truck load, wheel barrow load, peach bin or any other fraudulent unit of measure.
So I can't buy 4 chunks to block the wheels on my ol wagon up there on the hillside?

If memory serves the box on my Dodge is around 80-85 cu. ft. without the 10" sides. Since the subject was bonfire/firepit wood, it's whatever is lying around (usually the oddball pieces) loose stacked/heaped into the box of the truck. More often than not even with 1 truckload the person has some wood left over.

I measured it out once. My Chevy short box with a heaped pile of tossed wood yielded 61 CF and with it stacked it yielded 68 CF. So to get a full half cord you need a pretty good heaped pile plus a few extra.

I tell lowballers, "Here is what I have. I don't compete with on price."
Lately everyone wants Oak seasoned two years.
I ask them if they have a wood stove with a catalytic element.
No, no. It's for the fireplace a few nights a week.
Really....
I have firewood seasoned one year, and the people I know that burn two year old wood, buy a year ahead.

People find me by word of mouth or web site.
Either way, it is generally email or text, in which I spell out several terms.

Delivery: unloaded by hand off the back or side of truck, up to 1 1/2 cord per load. Additional amounts, requiring additional trips are separate delivery fees per load.
Stacking: I do not offer stacking services when delivering.
Cord: A quantity of firewood when tightly stacked equal to 128 cu. ft., typically 4' x 4' x 8'
Seasoning: Oak, cut/split, seasoned one year.
And I invite them to come and look at what they would be getting, if they would like to. (half do/half don't)

Courtney, you made me laugh....
When you tell someone in person that you don't stack, like when the person that contacted you isn't home for the delivery and the spouse comes out and say just put it over there on the far end of the porch, they look at you like "I'm not doing all that work!" but they think you will. That makes me laugh too.

I hate the term "loggers cord" I will correct anyone I hear talking in ricks, loggers cord, etc.
Yeah, same old horse. I understand that in some parts of the country all those terms make sense to somebody. When the term "face cord" first started to be used around here, most people were still using big fireplaces, and wood was cut close to 24", so a face was half a cord. I delivered in an F600, 12' bed with 6' sides. A couple times a year I'd dump a cord and the customer would yell, "I only ordered 1 cord". Most of the people using the term "face" were selling a half cord at full cord prices. All of the legitimate firewood guys used 1/4, 1/2, and full cord. So, the term that was first used around here by schisters, has always left a bad taste in my mouth, Joe.

In my neighborhood most every one is stuck on stupid. Numerous times people have ordered wood and find out how they were ripped off time and time again. Most of the time when I deliver to some one new tell me they only wanted one cord not two. Most guys I see with a pickup and side boards tell their customers that this is more than a cord because of how high it is PILED. My customers are usually repeat only because they get what they pay for. Most of the time I have to tell callers that I only delver to previous customers and not new. I have seen many time guys with a saw and a pickup scrounge wood then sell junk stuff that I throw away for $800 to $1000 by selling 1/8 a cord for a cord. The other point I have are callers who tell me that they can buy cords of Oak for $250 so why do I charge so much. They I ask them why are you calling me? It still does not matter because I am almost always sold out. Thanks

Seems every new client conversation starts with seasoning, and the definition of 'a cord of firewood'.
And they ask if I have a moisture meter, and moisture content reading. Which I don't.
They are welcome to bring one.
When they stick it in the end of a split they are impressed, until I tell them that's a false reading, and I need to cut the sample in half so they can read it there.
That's when these clowns say if I buy three cord will you cut a deal on price.
I don't, but I should tell them it is half price in February, if there is any left...
Today it is full price, for a full cord.
It is true, people have been burnt over and over, so I don't blame them...until it comes to price.

Latest posts

Back