Lurker buying a saw needing advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hint hint. Come run the saws before u buy!
I hear ya, but I just can't see waiting that long. And I can't see that it's gonna help me, even though I think it would be a blast, make a sound decision.

I'm just not well enough versed in saws to be able to know the differences. Doesn't mean I won't come at all, I'll definitely consider it hard, but I think I'd walk away scratching my head afterwards.

Now, if you could tell me there would be a like new saw there that blows away the echo at around the same price, then that is one thing. But I highly doubt that would be the case especially at an event like this. I think those deals only happen at the garage sale/auction type events. I could be completely wrong, school me if it's so.

Now, if you could tell me there would be a like new saw there that blows away the echo at around the same price, then that is one thing.

I really don't think you'll find that value in a new saw anywhere else. I looked around a lot, pondered a lot of used saws, I'm very pleased with my purchase of a cs-590, I've only put 2 tanks through so far but everyone seems to say they hold up well.

I think the only option to get more new saw for your money might be the Poulan pro 5020, but that's 50cc vs 60cc. If i were looking for a 50cc I would have probably got the Poulan. It wasn't enough bigger than my 45cc echo to meet my needs.

How 'bout a nice used 550 with a muffler mod, adjusted squish, and a new piston?
Lol, I must have that smell that says "he's buying! Break out the saws!"

I'm listening. I actually was considering one, but I think at this point it would take a lot to talk me away from the echo. Just cannot see the downside to it is all.

A 550 is two pounds lighter than a 590. I've held a 590 (I actually fondle one about every time I go into the dealer- weekly) and they are big, bulky, and have a lot of plastic. That's not to say they aren't durable, and for the price point, I think they are probably the best deal going for someone who wants a new semi-pro saw.

I really don't think you'll find that value in a new saw anywhere else. I looked around a lot, pondered a lot of used saws, I'm very pleased with my purchase of a cs-590, I've only put 2 tanks through so far but everyone seems to say they hold up well.

I think the only option to get more new saw for your money might be the Poulan pro 5020, but that's 50cc vs 60cc. If i were looking for a 50cc I would have probably got the Poulan. It wasn't enough bigger than my 45cc echo to meet my needs.
Well you have my brain pegged. I contemplated it real hard. Thinking I could modify it some and have a decent saw, waiting to buy another one down the road. But honestly I'd rather go ahead with this since I want one to be able to do the jobs of a 60cc now.

With the little time spent on here I might have contracted that bad CAD bug after all. I'll have me a pro husky and Stihl one day. But for now I've got to think reasonable and what my intended use will be. They are calling for a cold winter this year and I got a lot of dead trees to cut. No time for playing. Lol

I'll push an echo at the right time but Murph is pushing a good deal too.murphs a good dude.yes cad is bad ****.

Oh I know what your talk in about on the winter thing when fall hits I have over a 1000 pounds of equipment that hits my truck bed for in case for work and getting to family members that are disabled.the echo gets thrown in too.lol with the stihl,husky and McCulloch stuff.lol god forbid I have to drag out the poulans and partners.lol

I really looked hard at the 550. Really did. About the only thing that makes me cautious is the dang electronic carb. Even though I know it's potentially one of the best advancements in the chainsaw world. I'm a tech guy by trade, so it's hard for me to turn down technology. But at the same time I know that the old (tech) stuff is proven to work and sometimes it takes a few years or more for the new stuff to really show it's flaws.

I
You know, once you yank me over the edge you can let go of the rope!
think you would have been happier if you had started this thread that you just bought that husky 359......... nothing against echo but you should try some pro saws or 359 quality before you buy a lesser saw just to have a new one. Either way explore your options and make a hands on decision not an educated guess. No offense to the echo fans.

I

think you would have been happier if you had started this thread that you just bought that husky 359......... nothing against echo but you should try some pro saws or 359 quality before you buy a lesser saw just to have a new one. Either way explore your options and make a hands on decision not an educated guess. No offense to the echo fans.
I don't know if I'd say happier... Seeing how I've never run anything but my craftsmans anything else is gonna make me happier. Sure, I would have been happy with the 359. It would have stung a little when people started talking about the $250 price point they see though. At least I know the echo is worth the money. Might not be the best 60cc saw, but it seems like no one can say it's not worth $400.

That's what it boils down too really. The best saw for the best money. Exception is that it fits my needs though. Exceeds is fine, but it had to meet. I felt a 60cc saw was there. Sure a pro 50cc saw would have been ok, but I really think the 60cc was the ticket.

I realize the differences. Mainly though it's just weight/size and rpm/speed. Honestly, like I said already, I want to be worn out before the saw is. So speed is not as much a concern as power if that makes sense. I've done enough research to see that the echo does not have the speed or weight advantage, but it has the power I need.

Hey, I get the Stihl and husqvarna crowd, it's all I was considering when I posted on here (although I was looking at jonsered). But no one can provide any downside to the echo except for weight and size. At least as it compares to price / power.

I'm still wanting to listen. I can't tell you how much I'm glad I decided I came on here to talk. This is a great place and I love when one forum fits all my needs and I don't have to look for another.

Thanks guys !

You know, once you yank me over the edge you can let go of the rope!
Saws at my place are pretty much a 1 way street... So I ain't selling nuthin'...
But...
I know running a bunch of saws not for sale can cement in your mind what ya want... I guarantee you'll like the echo, but what if ya run something else you like better???
Knowledge is power...
Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!
It's just a Saturday road trip...
Just sayin'....
Am I helping yet?

But no one can provide any downside to the echo except for weight and size.

I'm just a home owner that cuts about 8-10 cords a year. My saws are old but I try to run every thing I come across, just for the knowledge it brings. I've never run a newer Echo, but I have to tell you that IMHO, weight and size is a BFD when you run tank after tank of fuel through one in a day.

Saws at my place are pretty much a 1 way street... So I ain't selling nuthin'...
But...
I know running a bunch of saws not for sale can cement in your mind what ya want... I guarantee you'll like the echo, but what if ya run something else you like better???
Knowledge is power...
Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!
It's just a Saturday road trip...
Just sayin'....
Am I helping yet?

Exactly what I would not want to do. If you had a line up of cars out there that stretched from a golf cart to a Lamborghini and all I needed was something to get me to work and back, sure I am going to like the Lamborghini, probably would like to drive the nice Cadillac or any other high end car. But what I like, and what fits me good, are two different things.

I want the best saw for the best money for the type of cutting I do. I'll get my time to play with the pro stuff one day, but I don't have the budget for it and know aside from someone loosing money(which is not going to happen with chainsaw guys like yourselves), I am going to have to wait for that lucky day when someone just wants rid of their saw. I know it will happen, and I'll be prepared for it when it happens.

I'm just a home owner that cuts about 8-10 cords a year. My saws are old but I try to run every thing I come across, just for the knowledge it brings. I've never run a newer Echo, but I have to tell you that IMHO, weight and size is a BFD when you run tank after tank of fuel through one in a day.

I can see that. It is a thing to look at for sure. I am like you also. I only cut for myself, and usually its a full day process for a few weeks or so, twice a year or so.

My main goal is to get a saw that wants to still go long after I want to stop. I am not doing it for money, and while I like to get as much done in as little time as I can time is not an issue either. So if it wears me out quicker than a saw 2lbs lighter, it just gives me an excuse to sit on a stump and take a break while my boys load the wood.

Well I jumped. Yep, leaped right off that ledge. Could not see why not.

Ordered one off Ebay that should be here by next Tuesday. Came in just under $400 with the 20" bar.

Now I think I do want to get a spare chain and maybe another bar. I know it runs 3/8" and .050 guage, so does that mean I can run any chain that meets those specs? Maybe because it was the only type of good chain I could find for my craftsman, but I'm partial to Woodland Pro.

Hope you all arnt too let down by my purchase. :D I know there is not a lot of love for Echo, but I think its going to fit me just right.

Back