M-Tronic Problems Solved?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's all backwards compatable. Your also being overly analytical. I'm sure it was the same when electronic ignitions phased points out. The simple fact is they don't give many issues these days. Holey cow is a statistical outlier. I'm not there so trying not to pass judgment, however it's a reginal thing and doesn't make sense. Also most of stihls saws are still available in carb models, so his complaints have even less weight with conventional carb models available from all the big saw makers.
Thinking of your ignition system complains, moat if not all new saws have micro controllers built in to adjust timing. Not any more or complex then anything else out these days. You also should be awear web sites and forums (such as this one) contain saw enthusiasts and people without a clue, your more likely to get complaints as such then praise of something working. Such is the world, when all is good no one cares, it's only when something goes wrong when the complaining starts. As a owner of a first year autotune I had zero issues from 2012 to 2021. No fuel lines, carb problems, anything. It just ran. But everyone and their brother that had issues complained on every website they could, which was founded to an extent, but any "new" tech will have issues. Which has long since been hammered out now. Husqy sucks because they expect you to replace a carb, where stihl will sell the seliniod. Not any harder to diagnose or swap then a fuel filter.
Non moronics are not available in Canada.

OH MY GOD IT HAS A COMPUTER!!!
It is just a saw. Diagnose correctly, replace needed parts. Mtronic had the bugs worked out years ago. Visual inspection of all parts, inside and out. Clean fuel updated solenoid and filter. Bottom end vacuum and pressure tested. Pressure test carburetor and fuel line. Vacuum test fuel tank vent. Test spark with a TESTER.
Same stuff I have been doing since 81. It works on all saws.

Well now I have a 241 C Mtron that is hard to start it takes about 3 to 4 attempted starts it keeps stalling but once running it runs fine a new white Solenoid was just installed and still a problem.
Have a 261 with the same issues. Just did the reset and it eventually cleared up has been fine since.
Have a 201 no issues

And don't let them sit for long periods of time with Ethanol fuel in them.
I mean...this is true for regular carbed saws too...

Ethanol fuel left in over long periods is pretty much the reason I get most of my Craigslist saws that 'ran last year....my loss your gain' buys. Dump the nasty fuel, put a carb kit in it, clean it up and make $200.

One thing I’ve learned from cutting with people, “pro’s “ and “ranchers”, is most guys aren’t well equipped at tuning or working on a chainsaw. Things like Autotune and M Tronic are definitely going to be the answer to the newer generations anyway, if they can even manage to hold the saw by the right end.

I just like carbed saws because I can work on them 100%, and I’ve zero interest in having someone else work on them. I’ve owned 3 Autotune saws. 2 out of 3 were good.

I’ve never had a problem with a saw that wasn’t fuel/air ratio related, other than physical damage.
You and I think alike. I have been running saws for 30 years, been around them even longer, each saw I have has a carbonator except one. I think your right, the younger generation Mtronic is the way for them to go. My oldest running saw is a Husqvarna 268 I bought in 1995, and it's still running fast and strong. I know every part on all my saws because I do all my own work myself. If your like me you can hear what the saw is doing and adjust the saw if needed. But really how often do we have to adjust our equipment? Some may call me a control freak but when I run any machine I like to be the one in control of what it is doing, just because you can but a computer in a chainsaw dose not mean it's better, both the MS462 and the MS462C are both rated for the exact same horsepower so I see the Mtronic as just another part that can go bad. Finally all my experience is with carb saws, I like to stick to what I know. Have a good day!

Mtronic and auto tune don't care what oil ratio you run, or if you gut the muffler, port the saw and will keep the saw from blowing up even from pretty bad air leaks. They are also very reliable. It's a regular old carb with a fuel solenoid on it. Nothing really new or exciting. Never seen one that ran anywhere near as lean as a regular carb saw from the factory. Your fear is unfounded.
If you look into and research the M tronic they claim it will make adjustments to different types of fuel, and it will make adjustments based on air flow. (if air filter gets dirty and so on) It will make adjustments when you change your elevation. Where I live that's not a concern. If Stihl claims it will make adjustments based on fuel quality, then my concern is justified because the programing used in the M tronic is nowhere to be found, and they keep it a secret. If it can tell if there is more oil in the fuel then 50:1, not knowing the programing it "Might) make adjustment, but this is a bad example of what I was going for. My point is I have been running saws for 30 years and been around them a lot longer than that, I was taught carb, I run carb and that's what I know. I do all my own work on my equipment, If the solenoid goes down out in the middle of nowhere I am down until I get to a dealer, but with an old school carb saw I can pull the whole thing apart in the woods and get it back up and running, not that I have ever needed to.
For a lot of people, the M tronic is the way to go, but the MS462 and the MS462C both make 6.0 horsepower, so from my point of view the M tronic is just more things that "could" go wrong. The biggest point I did not explain right was that for the money I was going to have to spend I wanted what I wanted. I know carburetors. I also think that because both models make the same power the M tronic really does nothing that my screwdriver can't do. I'm sure the newer saws are great machines (I have a MS192TC and I have had no real problem's other than stalling out after several long cuts making it hot) but for as long as I have an option, I will buy what I want not what they want to sell me. Have a good night.

A properly tuned saw shoukd be set just on the edge of lean...
And Mtronic doesn't care what oil ratio you use. I run mine at 32:1 and I had a 562xp with Autotune that I tested 24:1 on and it ran just fine.
That was a bad point that I was making. What I would like to have said is that M tronic is not what I wanted because the old school carb saw was still available. All my saws but one is a carb saw, that's what I was taught and that's what I know and for the money I wanted what I know. I will have to be clearer when making posts.

If you look into and research the M tronic they claim it will make adjustments to different types of fuel, and it will make adjustments based on air flow. (if air filter gets dirty and so on) It will make adjustments when you change your elevation. Where I live that's not a concern. If Stihl claims it will make adjustments based on fuel quality, then my concern is justified because the programing used in the M tronic is nowhere to be found, and they keep it a secret. If it can tell if there is more oil in the fuel then 50:1, not knowing the programing it "Might) make adjustment, but this is a bad example of what I was going for. My point is I have been running saws for 30 years and been around them a lot longer than that, I was taught carb, I run carb and that's what I know. I do all my own work on my equipment, If the solenoid goes down out in the middle of nowhere I am down until I get to a dealer, but with an old school carb saw I can pull the whole thing apart in the woods and get it back up and running, not that I have ever needed to.
For a lot of people, the M tronic is the way to go, but the MS462 and the MS462C both make 6.0 horsepower, so from my point of view the M tronic is just more things that "could" go wrong. The biggest point I did not explain right was that for the money I was going to have to spend I wanted what I wanted. I know carburetors. I also think that because both models make the same power the M tronic really does nothing that my screwdriver can't do. I'm sure the newer saws are great machines (I have a MS192TC and I have had no real problem's other than stalling out after several long cuts making it hot) but for as long as I have an option, I will buy what I want not what they want to sell me. Have a good night.
First you don't need the programing. There's nothing you need to program. The solenoid is cheap, grab a spare and toss it in the tool box. Every so often it sends a lean pulse and looks for the rpm response, ie it doesn't care what fuel ratio you run, doesn't care how dirty the airfilter is up to a point. Heck they do their best to compensate for huge air leaks. They don't care if the saws been ported. It's a carb, with a fuel metering selinoid. Nothing more nothing less. There's all of 3 sensors in these things, non of which are prone to issues. The most comedic thing that the I want a regular carb saw is the fact the epa has had its fingers in saws for 20+ years and your still running new saws. Let alone typing on your phone/computer, driving fuel injected vehicles. Buy whatever makes you happy, doesn't matter to me one way or another just stop bashing something that has a proven track record of reliability.

First you don't need the programing. There's nothing you need to program. The solenoid is cheap, grab a spare and toss it in the tool box. Every so often it sends a lean pulse and looks for the rpm response, ie it doesn't care what fuel ratio you run, doesn't care how dirty the airfilter is up to a point. Heck they do their best to compensate for huge air leaks. They don't care if the saws been ported. It's a carb, with a fuel metering selinoid. Nothing more nothing less. There's all of 3 sensors in these things, non of which are prone to issues. The most comedic thing that the I want a regular carb saw is the fact the epa has had its fingers in saws for 20+ years and your still running new saws. Let alone typing on your phone/computer, driving fuel injected vehicles. Buy whatever makes you happy, doesn't matter to me one way or another just stop bashing something that has a proven track record of reliability.
This is just it. A bunch of Luddites afraid a simple compensating carb. Even more strange is some of these same guys embrace the 500I, which is way more complex.

This is just it. A bunch of Luddites afraid a simple compensating carb. Even more strange is some of these same guys embrace the 500I, which is way more complex.
Fear is one thing. Preference is another.
Honest question though, how collectible will modern saws be if they are used casually? In 30 or 40 years will a 661 bought today be serviceable? I’ve got a saw that’s older than 40 years, ready to work and one old Echo that’s never been back to the dealer that’s going on 20 years, still in service. Sometimes it’s a matter of dependability and durability. How many older M-Tronic and Autotune saws are collectible and still in service? I’ve asked this before and get few satisfactory answers, especially for saws over 10 years old, which isn’t very impressive.

I know this doesn’t pertain to someone who makes a living with a saw’s reason, but a point often missed when arguing about these new saws.

People like me need a variety of saws, big and small, and pro grade. I don’t make a living with saws but I often push one of my saws with a 36 inch bar to the edge of its capacity, not for fun, but out of necessity. I’m also very in tune with taking care of and collecting my saws and passing them down if possible.

I’m not arguing that this is impossible with the new saws, but am skeptical, and would like to hear thoughts on that.

Honest question though, how collectible will modern saws be if they are used casually? In 30 or 40 years will a 661 bought today be serviceable? I’ve got a saw that’s older than 40 years, ready to work and one old Echo that’s never been back to the dealer that’s going on 20 years, still in service. Sometimes it’s a matter of dependability and durability. How many older M-Tronic and Autotune saws are collectible and still in service? I’ve asked this before and get few satisfactory answers, especially for saws over 10 years old, which isn’t very impressive.

I know this doesn’t pertain to someone who makes a living with a saw’s reason, but a point often missed when arguing about these new saws.

People like me need a variety of saws, big and small, and pro grade. I don’t make a living with saws but I often push one of my saws with a 36 inch bar to the edge of its capacity, not for fun, but out of necessity. I’m also very in tune with taking care of and collecting my saws and passing them down if possible.

I’m not arguing that this is impossible with the new saws, but am skeptical, and would like to hear thoughts on that.
the popular models will be supported and everything else will go by the wayside. Doesn't matter what it has on it. This is ture with most products, not just saws. The perfect example is all the dumb models stihl has released throughout the years that may have been decent saws, but ultimately didn't make the cut of popular appeal. They arnt supported and will fade away to the purists that want to keep them running, everyone else moved on. Even the 044/440 platform is getting phased out these days,but it was such a popular saw you can still get about whatever you want for them. By the same token, there were thousands of autotune/mtronic sold since they came out. Most didn't have issues and are still in service with whatever parts you want for them available.

I have zero interest in old junk nor the thought process of guys that are into them, so I can't comment.
I will say those older saws were less reliable and durable in most cases.
Tge thread below this mentions the 044/440. Performance wise those saws were turds back in the day. Yet guys seek them ought due to nostalgia. I can't understand that, nor brand loyalty either.

I have zero interest in old junk nor the thought process of guys that are into them, so I can't comment.
I will say those older saws were less reliable and durable in most cases.
Tge thread below this mentions the 044/440. Performance wise those saws were turds back in the day. Yet guys seek them ought due to nostalgia. I can't understand that, nor brand loyalty either.
I got a collection of old saws. I understand the nostalgia end of it, and I cut with them from time to time just to keep them going, at home. Sure as heck don't take them out in the woods when I need to get work done.

I got a collection of old saws. I understand the nostalgia end of it, and I cut with them from time to time just to keep them going, at home. Sure as heck don't take them out in the woods when I need to get work done.
I might buy a 372 for nostalgia purposes as I logged with them.
I would not buy nor have any desire to run something like an old Homelite or Mac. Just no desire.

I might buy a 372 for nostalgia purposes as I logged with them.
I would not buy nor have any desire to run something like an old Homelite or Mac. Just no desire.
Yeah they were great saws. My logging buddy used them for many years, but even he's gone to the 572xp as of last year or the year before. I don't think you could convince him to go back to a 372 anymore.

Latest posts

Back