M-Tronic Problems Solved?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... ,so the trick is to have backup when you make a living with them.

that's the trick alright, because there is a certain untrustiness about the moronics and autobooms

as I said; sawhands carry two to three or even four times as many saws with them when they go to the remote bush these days compared to about pre 2005 or so.

that's the trick alright, because there is a certain untrustiness about the moronics and autobooms

as I said; sawhands carry two to three or even four times as many saws with them when they go to the remote bush these days compared to about pre 2005 or so.
Well, I have a few that act up, and it's always a challenge to know exactly what it is. I love them when trouble free. Some models have a specific reset to do if you are running them in real cold temps, look up owners manuals from
STIHL and see.

Well, fact of the matter is, regardless of all the hype, well experienced saw hands still have trouble with them in the woods. Generally the guys are ready for it (with spare equipment) but it still costs them time and therefore money, which is frustrating.

for decent pros it is not even an issue to tune a saw. At a certain level (pretty low even) saws are tuned differently for different applications. It's nice to have control over that, imo.

perhaps moronics and autobooms should have 2 or 3 ignition/carburetion maps...

the quick answer to the opening question is NO.

the honest answer is "well mostly, except sometimes. Especially when..."

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that, but are these versions that they come out with compatible with the early generations? If they are, that would shine everything in a better light.

For instance if I had a 576xp from 2013 could the newer, more reliable module be fitted to it, because I’ve got saws in great condition from that’s time. If a saw like that could be made to run again…. I’d be game.

I know we’re talking M Tronic, but same concept.
The new solenoids are backward compatible.

I just took a gander at some Stihl literature… forgot about the microprocessor that is involved and also temperature sensing. Not to mention the hour meter and start counter, not that these things are prone to failure. I’m not saying that.

So what might look like a few extra wires and a little black module on the carb has quite a few little things going on. Not so simple compared to a couple of adjustable jets and magneto coil.
I dont believe there is a temp sensor. The rest is built into the coil.

I dont believe there is a temp sensor. The rest is built into the coil.
Stihl says there is a microprocessor and temperature sensing.

Wiring harnesses by themselves are pretty simple. I bet the harness issues are really microprocessor feedback issues. But I’ve had one saw try to eat it’s plug wire.

Well now I have a 241 C Mtron that is hard to start it takes about 3 to 4 attempted starts it keeps stalling but once running it runs fine a new white Solenoid was just installed and still a problem.
Lots of potential lost at the hands of an aim for convenience.

Only thing left to do is spend more money on it.

I’m a supervisor for a DOT and we cut everyday. Our mtronic saws have had zero problems for the last 4 years we’ve had them. Our 6 - 362CM has been bullet proof. I find the key is run good clean fuel and ensure the orange filter is used all the time with a new one every fall.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that, but are these versions that they come out with compatible with the early generations? If they are, that would shine everything in a better light.

For instance if I had a 576xp from 2013 could the newer, more reliable module be fitted to it, because I’ve got saws in great condition from that’s time. If a saw like that could be made to run again…. I’d be game.

I know we’re talking M Tronic, but same concept.
It's all backwards compatable. Your also being overly analytical. I'm sure it was the same when electronic ignitions phased points out. The simple fact is they don't give many issues these days. Holey cow is a statistical outlier. I'm not there so trying not to pass judgment, however it's a reginal thing and doesn't make sense. Also most of stihls saws are still available in carb models, so his complaints have even less weight with conventional carb models available from all the big saw makers.
Thinking of your ignition system complains, moat if not all new saws have micro controllers built in to adjust timing. Not any more or complex then anything else out these days. You also should be awear web sites and forums (such as this one) contain saw enthusiasts and people without a clue, your more likely to get complaints as such then praise of something working. Such is the world, when all is good no one cares, it's only when something goes wrong when the complaining starts. As a owner of a first year autotune I had zero issues from 2012 to 2021. No fuel lines, carb problems, anything. It just ran. But everyone and their brother that had issues complained on every website they could, which was founded to an extent, but any "new" tech will have issues. Which has long since been hammered out now. Husqy sucks because they expect you to replace a carb, where stihl will sell the seliniod. Not any harder to diagnose or swap then a fuel filter.

I’m a supervisor for a DOT and we cut everyday. Our mtronic saws have had zero problems for the last 4 years we’ve had them. Our 6 - 362CM has been bullet proof. I find the key is run good clean fuel and ensure the orange filter is used all the time with a new one every fall.
And don't let them sit for long periods of time with Ethanol fuel in them.

Back