MAC 10-10 has spark but no fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boda65

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I picked up a late 60's McCulloch MAC 10-10 as a parts machine. It looked complete and in pretty good shape so I thought I would get it running. Piston has some scoring and only has 105 psi compression. I installed new NOS points, gapped at .019. Set the flywheel to coil gap to .010. Flywheel key in good shape. Has bright blue spark. The trouble is, it won't fire at all. Not a single pop, even on ether. :mad:(I know, I know, but like I said it's already scored.
I have never seen a motor that wouldn't at least try to start on ether when it has good spark. Any ideas??

I picked up a late 60's McCulloch MAC 10-10 as a parts machine. It looked complete and in pretty good shape so I thought I would get it running. Piston has some scoring and only has 105 psi compression. I installed new NOS points, gapped at .019. Set the flywheel to coil gap to .010. Flywheel key in good shape. Has bright blue spark. The trouble is, it won't fire at all. Not a single pop, even on ether. :mad:(I know, I know, but like I said it's already scored.
I have never seen a motor that wouldn't at least try to start on ether when it has good spark. Any ideas??

did you put gas in directly and no pop?

did you put gas in directly and no pop?

Yes, I put mix, (and later, starting fluid) directly in the spark plug hole. Not a single pop. It has a bright blue spark when I ground it against the fins.

You're wasting your time. Why even bother trying to start it? If it does start, it's not going to have any power. And worse, you could damage the bore if there's a problem internally. Pull it apart before you go any farther. You may only need a set of rings. Do it right.

To heck with the others! squirt some motor oil in the sparkplug hole to help it seal better. Then try,it should boost the compression enough to start,If thats the problem. Then run the heck out of it. Its only a parts unit,right?:clap:

You're wasting your time. Why even bother trying to start it? If it does start, it's not going to have any power. And worse, you could damage the bore if there's a problem internally. Pull it apart before you go any farther. You may only need a set of rings. Do it right.

I was just playin' with it, Brad. Not sure about the bore, but the piston has scoring I can see through the exhaust port. I agree it may not have much power and likely would be hard to start, I was just surprised that it wouldn't even fire. Every saw I've worked on that had spark would at least pop a couple times with mix squirted in.

Latest posts

Back