Mac 10-10 Vs. 10-10A ..?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10-10A ...has the recoil on the Bar side ..??

which version is preferable, as far as replacement parts go ..??
I have a 1010 Automatic that had the starter on the right hand side. A few years ago, I didn't get the clutch properly tightened, and it wobbled on the shaft. The key way on the crank shaft was chewed out.
I had scraped a Pro Mac 80 that the engine blew apart, and saved every thing except the engine.
I switched fly wheels, and put the starter assembly from the Pro Mac 80 with a left hand starter, onto the 1010 Automatic. I put the clutch back on without the key in place, and never had a problem since.
There are a lot of scrap chainsaws out there, that you can get real cheap. I have gotten complete scrap saws for $20.00 to $30.00, and salvaged what ever parts I thought I might need for my chainsaws, in case I needed parts to repair them.
I hope this helps you. Its real easy to convert the 1010 Automatic to a left hand start.
Bruce.

I always thought the (A) stands for automatic oiler. I've got two 10-10A's, the '69 model is right-side start, the '71 is a left-side start with chainbrake. Although the '69 has always ran best for some reason, it's starter is a delicate POS. I keep fixing it cause I think the right-start is nifty.

Last edited:
I always thought the (A) stands for automatic oiler. I've got two 10-10A's, the '69 model is right-side start, the '71 is a left-side start with chainbrake. Although the '69 has always ran best for some reason, it's starter is a delicate POS. I keep fixing it cause I think the right-start is nifty.

All chainsaws have an automatic oiler, except gear driven saws. I have a 68 modle 1010 Automatic. I think that it is called the Automatic is because the starter rope automaticly rewinds it self, instead of the manual wrap around type. Don't quote me. They also had a battery operated starter as well.
Bruce.

All chainsaws have an automatic oiler, except gear driven saws. I have a 68 modle 1010 Automatic. I think that it is called the Automatic is because the starter rope automaticly rewinds it self, instead of the manual wrap around type. Don't quote me. They also had a battery operated starter as well.
Bruce.

Huh ????????:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

10-10A ...has the recoil on the Bar side ..??

which version is preferrable, as far as replacement parts go ..??

The 10-10A is preferable as it comes with an automatic oil-er. The bar side recoil can be a pain so the flywheel side is also better. Other than those two differences there was a Super which had 2 more cc's(55-57). Mufflers, carbs, dealer options, and year of manufacture also add some changes but most parts are interchangeable.

Great saws with good power. Beware of seal failure they can be hard to find.

I have a 10-10A with flywheel side starter. It's one saw that I have never had running as one of the starter dawgs is broken out of the flywheel:mad:

I can't say I like the cork gaskets on the fuel tank either, they're all perished on mine.

I would go with the newer 10-10 or 10-10s good old saws but if you are still looking try to find a 7-10 or 700 mac they are basicly the same size and weight but about 15cc bigger.If you are going to carry the weight why not have the power also.

I believe the A is for automatic oiler. I have a sales broacher that states that some where. I have a 3-10 and I do not think it has a auto oiler.

Latest posts

Back