Mac 110- wire should be disconnected?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbas_son

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Took apart an old Mac 110 to clean it up and rebuild the carb. Upon disassembly, I saw this wire to the coil was disconnected. It looks like it has been this way for quite a while, based on how the wire was settled onto the bottom of the saw.

When I reassembled it, I reconnected this wire. Made sense to me that it should be connected... Now unfortunately, it won't start. Not even a spark. Crap! What would have been done to this saw that would necessitate having this wire disconnected? I am assuming it did run before- but it was my Dad's saw, and he has passed on.

I know I should take it apart and pull the wire, but what a pain this thing is to break down!

Thanks for looking...

mac110 coil.jpg

That wire looks like the primary wire from the points, and if it is it would need to be hooked up to create spark. Someone may have taken it off thinking it was a defective ground wire. Does this saw have points, and have you cleaned them?

That wire looks like the primary wire from the points, and if it is it would need to be hooked up to create spark. Someone may have taken it off thinking it was a defective ground wire. Does this saw have points, and have you cleaned them?
Not sure if it has points. I will try to find out.

I think the lead I reconnected is for the stop switch terminal. I will look into that tomorrow.

So I pulled it apart again. With my drill turning the motor and the plug against the block, I get spark either way- with the wire connected or not....

Also I set the air gap using a business card. It may have been set too wide.

No need to mess with the switch itself, just use a continuity meter from ground to the end of that wire to see if it is open or shorted when you move the switch from on to off..
Edit again... there is continuity from one end of the wire to the other, if that helps. I cannot really check continuity with the switch in different positions, as there is no access to the wire when the saw is assembled, if that makes any sense...

So I reassembled the saw with the wire disconnected. AND IT STARTS!!

It was running a bit fitful though, and would die after a minute or so... so I filled up the tank... restarted, and...

IT BURST INTO FLAMES!!:blob2: I am not kidding. Luckily I was outside and was able to smother the flames quickly. But uhhh..

So I reassembled the saw with the wire disconnected. AND IT STARTS!!

It was running a bit fitful though, and would die after a minute or so... so I filled up the tank... restarted, and...

IT BURST INTO FLAMES!!:blob2: I am not kidding. Luckily I was outside and was able to smother the flames quickly. But uhhh..
Speaking of saw trouble, how did you ever make out with that Dolmar 6100?

Speaking of saw trouble, how did you ever make out with that Dolmar 6100?
It runs like a champ! My small engine repair guy cleaned the carb several times in an ultrasonic cleaner- yet still didn't fix the problems- so he replaced the carb.
That took care of the issues.

Back