Mac 895

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68kaiser

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i found an old MAC 895. it has been sitting outside for many years by the looks of it, and has an insane chain on it i think its the old 1/2" chain. the dogs are big and it has two dogs under the bar that angle out. the beast must be close to 30lbs. i can proubably get the saw for free or very little $$.
can you still get parts for this old saw?

Actually you might have a good find there. That saw is a 103cc geardrive and should pull a big-ol bar if you get it running. Air filters will be hard to find and so will replacement coverings, if being outside has wrecked any of the current ones. Also this saw runs a VERY hard find 1/2 inch pitch chain, however Randy's engine repair sell .404 conversion sprockets if you send in your old one for about $50.00. Your lucky because this model mac has a tillotson hl291bc carb wich should have a current rk100hl master rebuild kit available most places. So, if the cases aren't wrecked and it isn't frozen up, you could turn this saw into a real runner if you wanted to.:)

Keep us posted

the saw has been outside but luckily it is totaly covered in a mix of baroil and saw dust and under it everything is in place. the motor turns over but seems to have low compresion. i will try to get it this weekend if i dont work, then give all the details.......

68kaiser said:
the saw has been outside but luckily it is totaly covered in a mix of baroil and saw dust and under it everything is in place. the motor turns over but seems to have low compresion. i will try to get it this weekend if i dont work, then give all the details.......

Great saw. The rings might be stuck, be sure to check them out before tearing it down as sometimes they can be freed with a good soaking of solvent. Looking forward to what you find. Good luck.

i got the saw this weekend! it is a beast to say the least, i cleaned the out side to see what i got and it still has 90% of the original paint. the 1/2" chain is rusted but the cutters are 100%, never touched with a file. now the fun begins of digging in but on the out side it is a beautiful saw........

68kaiser said:
the 1/2" chain is rusted but the cutters are 100%, never touched with a file.

Try and save it with some glass bead blasting. Glass will take the rust off, and not damage the cutters, etc. Then, soak the chain is some Blaster. That should free it up...then you will have a chain that is like new!

this will sound stupid but i am not familiar with gear drive saws,i was looking at the saw and the only place i can find to put bar oil in is the gear box, so the gears are lubed by the bar oil and not gear oil?

well i was just bored and dumped some mix down the snout gave it a few rips with the cord and to my surprise she coughed! with a little time the beast was screaming bloody murder. so now my only problem is it is not oiling the bar.
is anyone familiar with the 895? where is the oil adjustment, what is the max r.p.m. i can not find any info and would like to know...
thanks nick............

Hey Kaiser, Hoss here. To answer your question from earlier, the gear oil and bar oil are definately separate. Also make sure that your gear oil is properly filled, especially when you use the saw on it's side. The gearbox on the saw is not supposed to be filled all the way up, so sometimes extended use of the saw on it's side can starve the gears of oil. Some of the fellas that do a lot of milling on this site have expressed this as a concern before. As far as the rpm, most of these older saws were in the 6,000-7,500 rpm(engine speed) so I wouldn't take it any higher until you know for sure. Right now on ebay there are 2 895 user manuals for sale, just use chainsaw 895 keyword and they should pop right up. Finding a 1/2 pitch chain in that kind of shape is great. You should definately try to save it if you can. Even if you convert to .404 you can sell that chain and matbe rocoup some of your investment in the saw. Good luck and it does sound like a fun a$$ project.:cheers:

thanks for the info the one thing i cant find is the choke. does this saw have one? it has a prime for the carb, manual oiler, decompression valve, and kill switch don't see anything else?

Just switching to a sprocket or roller tip will allow you to use a much longer bar than the 36" indicated with the hard tip at Mike Acres site. Also switching to .404 chain will give you a little more leeway yet. It would definately be great to see some pics when you finish this beast.

Latest posts

Back