Mac D 44 Reanimated

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOBRDGO

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, I got one of my arborsite "specials" running last nite. I bought two D 44s under the premise that I could build one runner and Madsaw wasn't joking. I think this site might be more reliable than ebay to buy a saw, because I got some real junk from ebay so far. I know now that, the item description, " It ran last year but then the pull cord broke " actually means,

"This saw needs rings, carb kit, recoil pawls, a special spring made from unobtainium that is only available if you have a time machine, and the crank keyway is broke, and the fuel has since turned into white aluminum eating corrosive powder."

After removing the mud hornet's nest from the muffler and inspecting the both of them I took the saw with the best cylinder and swapped coils, one looked like it was in a war. I then got a weak spark and after drying the points (I pressured washed it earlier) and cleaning them I got some happy blue lightning. The tank didn't look bad so I dumped some mix in the tank and went for it. I'd like to say she lit off without a prime but that only happens in the movies. With a little gas in the carb she took off happily. So far I'm stoked. THANK YOU MADSAW for the square deal. This has been a great fix for me while waiting for my 101 hotsaw parts and especially info on how to build it right. HAPPY 4th of July. God Bless America.

Glad to hear you had success.I've got a super 44a,which is quite powerful,all things considered.The problem is that a person needs 3 hands to get the danged thing started.It's a real chore to hold the spring loaded choke and pull the right hand pull cord at the same time. :dizzy:

My aforementioned ebay fiasco was a super 44. It came with an absolutely cherry muffler that's about it.

I'm glad to see someone else getting one these old beasts going, too. I recently rebuilt one I found at a junkyard with my son. I'm thinking I need to possibly clean the carb out, cause it doesn't want to idle. It sure has crazy top end, though. It has such a strong vibration at WOT, I thought my hands were going to explode.

Hey Shtoink, nice to see you here. hope you enjoy posint with us.

Ebay is crap compared to the honest folks we are, and we actually know what the problems are with the saw if there are any to begin with.

It was too loud to run last nite seriously, fired her up at midnite in my garage here in beautiful suburbia. I started it this morning WITHOUT a prime and it runs better than the 1-42 that I bought as a runner. I'm psyched, it sounds badass and is louder than hell. I need a bar and chain though. Is this style of chain readily available at saw shops?

Assuming you've got .404 on it, yes, if its 1/2" youre going to be looking for awhile and paying fairly high prices for it.

take a look at the numbers on the drive links, post them here and we can tell you what pitch you have.

GOBRDGO said:
It's just stock chain I'm looking for. How can you tell .404?
Measure accross 3 rivets,divide by 2.I doubt that it had 1/2" chain,but could have had 7/16".If so,just change the sproket or rim,if so equipted.As a side note,my saw originally was equipted with an air vain governer which was shot,so I bypassed it.Those old dudes will rev right up,it is surprising,considering the age.

I gotta do something with my very pregnant wife, I will measure the chain later today. Thanks alot. I wonder if the air vane is what's dogging my 1-42. It winds nothing like the vaneless D 44. Is there a how to post pics on this site?

Yeah, I thought some of the other saws I had were loud...

This Super 44 was ear splitting. It scared the crap out of me the first time it fired off. Mine has a .404 on it. I managed to find a nice 28" roller tip and chain for it. There's a lot of life left in the chain, but it does need a sharpening.

There is something about this saw that seems so cool. The fuel tank almost looks like one of those Airstream campers from the fifties. I think that it was also from an era of manufacturing that was designed to just keep working. Not many things today that can you can say the same thing about. All the plastic and things made in sweat shops overseas to cut costs makes things so cheap and disposable. It's sad.

GOBRDGO said:
Thanks alot. I wonder if the air vane is what's dogging my 1-42. It winds nothing like the vaneless D 44. Is there a how to post pics on this site?
The 1-42 doesnt have an air vane governor on it.

My Super 44 now has a Tillotson HL carb on it, so there was no need for the governor to be hooked back up. The carb replacement was nessecary due to an acident the original carb had when I was disassembling it.

My super 44 and D 44 all have tilly carbs. Gotta love em. The chain says kwikut 30

That is a new one to me. I was expecting an Oregon or Carlton brand chain.

Edit: I just checked Mike's site, I find no reference to a Kwikcut 30 chain.

It says kwikut on one link and an underlined 30 here and there.It's 13/16" between 3 rivets measured center rivet #1 -center rivet #3. Did I measure right ? Can this be maybe 7/16" then? HELP?

Oh lucky you! What you have is indeed .404.7/16" would be 7/8" across 3 rivets.

ok, So does this mean cheap and common? Available at my local lawn and garden? How about an echo dealer? This D 44 is really turning out first class and me thinks after I work out the oiler I may be in business if I had a chain. Thanks again guys. Jared

Back