Mac PM610

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSUfan09

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So i got this PM610, and i seen some pics on Ebay of other ones, but they dont look like this one...is this some odd variation? i really like this saw, works and cuts real nice. plenty of power too.:greenchainsaw:

alt6uk.jpg

alt17rw.jpg

alt23ur.jpg

img24657mx.jpg

Not sure what you think is odd about it. the chainbrake handle is a later model, probably about 1993, bucking spikes on it were added by the owner after purchase, and it is exceptionally clean looking.

Lawn Masters said:
Not sure what you think is odd about it. the chainbrake handle is a later model, probably about 1993, bucking spikes on it were added by the owner after purchase, and it is exceptionally clean looking.

No, it was bought in about 1987 and the spikes where stock. the chainbrake handle was what was getting me, and the model number sticker thing next to the handle was different then the other ones.

Must have been a good friendly dealer if sold with those spikes on it. My 605, factory-refurbished 3.4, two 610's and Timberbear all came to me used, but two of them from the original owner.... none had the bucking spikes. Couple of 'em have the wrap-around chainbrake handle.... solid with holes in the top part about 12-gauge 00 BB size.... the others all have chainbrake handles like yours.

I see nothing unusual about your 610. The powerhead looks identical to my two. They are a really good all-around wood-cutting saw.

I was under the impression that the rectangular chainbrake handle was the earlier version and Mac later came out with the wrap-around one.... hafta go back and look through my Mac books....

I was under the impression that the rectangular chainbrake handle was the earlier version and Mac later came out with the wrap-around one.... hafta go back and look through my Mac books....

And put ya glasses on at the same time OMG the full wrap around came first.

That's a particularly clean looking saw; if it were me I'd be very careful to keep it that way as a display piece. If you compare it with a more modern design saw, you'll likely be happy to keep it pristine and use the newer unit. About 1/2 of these came with McC .354 chain, which is impossible to find now...you can easily switch to 3/8 with a new sprocket and bar if required, though.

In my opinion, that saw is only so-so as a woodcutter...I have a couple of them myself. Kinda slow, kinda loud, kinda heavy. One of my saws also has a broken airbox housing, supposedly sustained when the idling saw fell from the tailgate of a pickup onto the rear handle...this appears to be a weak spot, so be warned. Since Mcc. really no longer exists, some parts will be hard to get. I intend to wait until I run into a siezed or used up example to fix my broken one.

Latest posts

Back