machete

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yotehowler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm in need of another machete for brushing. I've been using a military surplus one made by ontario knife works. I don't have any complaints with it, but was just wondering if anyone who uses machetes might know of something even better? Thanks.

Best thing I ever used is a Gerber Brush Thinner. Excellent balance and striking force. Very sharp edge has never needed sharpening in the 4 years I've had it.

Wish I could sell you one like this. My wife's dead uncle used to make em right in CT. Can you imagine that?

yotehowler

Hey what about one of those Woodsman's Pal .Have you seen them on one side they have a little hook on the end .i think they were military issue at one time they are made in the USA on the East Coast I think.Maybe you can get some feed back from someone that has owned one.I also think they have a wooden handle version and one wrapped in leather IMO I think the wooden handle would be better but I don't own one
Lawrence

Hey what about one of those Woodsman's Pal .Have you seen them on one side they have a little hook on the end .i think they were military issue at one time they are made in the USA on the East Coast I think.Maybe you can get some feed back from someone that has owned one.I also think they have a wooden handle version and one wrapped in leather IMO I think the wooden handle would be better but I don't own one
Lawrence

They look awesome! I have been thinking about one of them, but I've only seen them in catalogs or online. I have a hard time dropping $70-$80 on a chopping tool I've never actually seen or handled.

I've had the best luck with the "cane cutters" the sugar cane cutters use, which are fatter out towards the business end. I've only found them at the flea markets down south (florida), but a little research on the net might find a source. Anyway, recommend you stick to the types that are fatter on the end, like Stanton's. They cut much better than a straight blade, and work you less.

Take a look at this one, i have one and it is very good for the oney and it is made of D2 tool steel. It is a Kershaw "Outcast"

A week or two ago I was standing in line at our local hardware and I noticed one of these gerber machetes hanging there in the impulse aisle. It had been there for several weeks and I made the comment,"I bet you guys sell alot of these machetes huh?". The guy said yeah thats like number 6 in the last week or so. I couldnt imagine that many people in this area buying a machete in a years time especially from the same store. Shows what I know. It was in its package but for $19.00 it looked decent enough.

I made my own out of an old lawnmower blade.

Heat it up. Flatten it out. Use a grinder or torch to shape blade and tang to suit your fancy. Sharpen the business edge. Toss it in the fire until the whole thing is glowing and (carefully so as not to set yourself or your house on fire) quench in used motor oil.(The carbon coating will make it neigh impervious to rust.) Make handle from whatever's handy I prefer wood (of course).

It's at least twice as heavy as most commercial machetes but I prefer it that way. I can also use it to split kindling. If I decide I want a different shape I just make another one. If the hole in the middle bothers you, you can fill it with a washer and weld/grind but I didn't bother.

I never go out to cut without my bush-axe and machete : )
cazimere

Lawrence

:agree2: I love my Woodsmans Pal My wife bought me the smaller one with wood handle. They are made in Penn. not sure what city. They were made in WW2 for jungle use. Seen some pics of soldiers with them:)

for jungle use.

i can imagine that wasnt all they were used for. handy weapon to have with you.

i have seen some other machetes at wally world but i can imagine they are just as crappy as the look.

btw i like the lawn mower blade idea. i might try that sometime, ive got a POS lawnmower in the garage that will never cut grass again, dont have to let the blade go to waste!:clap:

Back