Made some campfire wood today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
My buddy needed a pine/spruce/fir - heck, something with needles on it, down in his yard. I was happy to help.

When I got there, he'd trimmed a bunch of the lower branches already - on a ladder. His plan was to drop the top first, then the trunk :msp_scared: Think there might be a reason I was asked to help?

Nice little lean in the fall direction:

P1020510+%2528Medium%2529.JPG

Since he still had the ladder there, I sent him up to put the rope in for insurance:

P1020508+%2528Medium%2529.JPG

Looking toward the intended fall direction. The power lines are beyond the tree's landing area:

P1020509+%2528Medium%2529.JPG

Got it on the ground where I wanted it, the branch on the right just cleared the garage on the way down, my buddy and his wife starting cleanup:

P1020513+%2528Medium%2529.JPG

More to come...

Stump shot. I chased it a little more than I needed to, but otherwise it looks half decent:

P1020511+%2528Medium%2529.JPG

Blocked up, and cleanup in progress. Buddy's daughters and boyfriends did the hard part - it's going to their backyard fire pit anyway:

P1020514+%2528Medium%2529.JPG

Stumpin'. I was being vewwy careful to stay outta the dirt, my 7300 was wearing it's new Total bar for the first time today. Thanks again watsonr!

P1020515+%2528Medium%2529.JPG

The stump block, showing the "bowl" cutting style I learned on here, I think from Slamm, but my memory's hazy:

P1020516+%2528Medium%2529.JPG

Mandatory saw p##n, my 7300, my buddy's 5105, and his wife's 420:

P1020517+%2528Medium%2529.JPG

His daughter has video of the drop, once it's posted, I'll get it up here. My splitter's over that way, I'll stop in on the way home with it and bust up the bigger blocks for him. I tried one with the Fiskars today, and there weren't no way, at least till they dry out some.

Looks like a nice clean drop. Why'd your buddy want it gone? Was there some rot in the trunk or was it just too close to the house? Regardless, it was nice seeing the family of dolmars together.

Looks like a nice clean drop. Why'd your buddy want it gone? Was there some rot in the trunk or was it just too close to the house? Regardless, it was nice seeing the family of dolmars together.

Taking up valuable boat parking real estate, hanging over his garage, and probably just because. I don't ask why, just where and when...

I got em convinced into the Dollies. My other two saws are similar to theirs, 5100 and an older 420.

Stump looks fine. thicker hinge on one side for steering?

On the pine, if they need it split now, cut kerfs that will fit a wedge, drop it in, lay on with BFH. Much sport. boom! splits OK then. Once the big chunks are cut, let it sit, bark will loosen soon, as soon as it loosens, you can fiskarize it easily starting from the outside.

Pine is weird, rubber wood when wet, balsa wood when drier. Same as tulip poplar and like willow, etc, other real juicy wet trees.

What's the "bowl" buy ya?

It helps get it close to the ground without dirting the bar on a high spot, you're only cutting to the center of the stump instead of through it, not to mention the bowl shape should hold water that might help with rotting the stump faster. Of course it will hold diesel fuel as well as water...

It (and putting it on the ground and a little bucking) also bought me a good home cooked breakfast that didn't involve me washing dishes afterwards.

Looks fun, Steve! Nice saws there too, U should of got ur climbing spikes on and shot up that tree like a bat out of hell :hmm3grin2orange:

Looks fun, Steve! Nice saws there too, U should of got ur climbing spikes on and shot up that tree like a bat out of hell :hmm3grin2orange:

This middle aged, 40 lb overweight guy don't climb. That's why I bring the trees down to my level.

I've got about 8,000 bd ft of dry pine ready for campfires. Of course, it's in 4' to 10' lengths and lying on the ground. Nobody wants to mess with it because some say that Eastern cottonwood is easier to process. I've got about 10,000 bd ft of good cottonwood lying around--not punky. Nobody wants it either. :dizzy:

You see, folks, our society is really lazy sometimes. A lot of the best campfire wood never seems to get burned.

Last edited:
Nice job Steve. I just cleaned one up for the guy down the road.

Latest posts

Back