Madrona

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovewood33

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was thinking of ordering some Madrona for firewood later in the year. I know Madrona is near the top for hardwoods when it comes to its btu rating. Has anyone burned it, and if so what has your experience been with burning Madrona.

I have never burned a real true hardwood in my life so I am just curious.

Madrona, or Madrone as it's called around here is my favorite wood. Good BTU, easy splitting when green, and very rot resistant.

Madrone is the premium wood in my area

I'm in a mixed conifer forest area. I burn Pine, Oak, Manzanita, Cedar and Mandrone which are all on my property. Madrone is at the top of the quality woods to burn in my area. It burns hot, doesn't pop or crackle, and burns cleaner. Similar to burning Manzanita. In my area it is the highest priced if you buy it.

When it is dry, it is hard to split. I cut up a snag and actually resorted to turning a sprinkler on and soaking the wood overnight so I could split it. That worked and the weather was hot enough to dry it back out again.

It is excellent firewood.

Thanks for the info guys. I have checked some of the prices here in WA state and Madrona is not cheap like you say. It goes for $300.00 to $350.00 for a cord, but it sounds like it is well worth it.

Thanks for the info guys. I have checked some of the prices here in WA state and Madrona is not cheap like you say. It goes for $300.00 to $350.00 for a cord, but it sounds like it is well worth it.

Great firewood. I always made more money selling chunks of it to guys who turned bowls and did other wood working. They really like that wood.

Mr. HE:cool:

I guess all wood doesn't have to be burned lol. I would tend to think with it being so dense that it would be hard to work with.

ya gotta become one with your wood

I guess all wood doesn't have to be burned lol. I would tend to think with it being so dense that it would be hard to work with.

I not only love to burn it as firewood but turn it on the lathe as well. You need to turn it while it is somewhat wet, then carefully dry it under controlled conditions, (bag it to control humidity) otherwise it will crack apart in the drying process. It can be a challenge, but once you become one with your wood,(which is always a good thing....lol) it's just a process. Once finished it is a beautiful wood.

Back