Mail-order chain sharpening alternative to razzorsharp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddiesel2006

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Who else does mail order chain sharpening for a reasonable rate? Just had a bad experience with razzorsharp (never got my chains back), and the local hardware store took more than a month last time I had one sharpened.

I've got about 10-15 chains between 28-36" that I need sharpened.

@Hogheadjeremy
Is this where you sent your chains and never got them back?
Did they get lost in transit or what?

Yes, USPS lost them on the way back. They weren't insured above the standard $50 you get with priority mail, so I'm out both the 11 chains, and the $79 I paid for them to be sharpened. Not Jeremy's fault USPS lost them, but they should have been insured the same as when I sent them in.

Yes, USPS lost them on the way back. They weren't insured above the standard $50 you get with priority mail, so I'm out both the 11 chains, and the $79 I paid for them to be sharpened. Not Jeremy's fault USPS lost them, but they should have been insured the same as when I sent them in.
That's too bad, sorry to hear that.

I have both files and an Oregon grinder, I've sharpened hundreds of chains myself but right now I just don't have the time to keep up with it.
But you have time to send them out in the mail?
mk4Hcr7.gif
Am I missing something? It doesn't take but a few minutes to sharpen a chain, even at 28-36"....I've done probably thousands in the past 30 years, in the field and on the bench, and no matter the circumstances there was always time for equipment maintenance. Its a matter of priorities, and keeping the equipment in good running order needs to be at the top of the list. That means keeping the chains sharp every day. If you can't do it you need to have somebody at hand that can. No chains, no work....

Too bad about your experience with RazzorSharp. I’ve used them a couple of times with great results. I will use them again in the future. Well, as the USPS lost your chains, I don’t see why you are looking for a new sharpening service. Just tell RazzorSharp to insure the chains for actual values next time.
JQ

I guess it is a fair question. I sent the chains in a flat rate box and they came back wrapped up kind of like a football. The failure rate likely is higher like that. At the time I thought it was a lesson in how to ship with lower cost. Lower effort as well, I filled the voids in the box.

There have been where to send out threads on here before. Don't think any other suggestions.

I am not aware of a thread with any detailed discussion about a batch of chains sent.

I don't see the benefits of sending chains out to be sharpened. A regularly sharpened chain only takes a stroke or two to get back to fully sharp. Shipping, sharpening, return shipping, adds up fast. I suppose sending out 20 chains at once makes some sense, but unless you are running a tree service or a large forest logging operation it is hard to figure that this all works vs. a few strokes between gassing up the saw.

Yeah, I never thought about the USPS losing them. Very rarely do I ever successfully file a claim to completion. They make the experience as painful and difficult as possible, and they have cost me hundreds of dollars in the past couple years. Hell, you cannot even get a refund on the shipping cost, one would think that would be automatic.
I thought about starting a sharpening thing way back when jeremy was tossing the idea around on here.

Yeah, I never thought about the USPS losing them. Very rarely do I ever successfully file a claim to completion. They make the experience as painful and difficult as possible, and they have cost me hundreds of dollars in the past couple years. Hell, you cannot even get a refund on the shipping cost, one would think that would be automatic.
I thought about starting a sharpening thing way back when jeremy was tossing the idea around on here.
I believe I’ve voided 5 usps labels. The return email says I’ll receive a refund in under 21 days. That started 6 years ago and I’ve never seen a refund

Getting $ back from USPS is like dealing with the IRS. It’s more efficient to put in a couple hours overtime instead of several hours dealing with it, and forget the whole thing. Probably their strategy. I’m not bitter at all. Not one bit. Not. Bitter.

As for sharpening, look for a local service?

Hello folks, Jeremy from RAZZORSHARP. We seriously appreciate everyone’s comments and opinions about our services as it helps us grow. In this situation we did try our very best AS WE ALWAYS DO to help our customers out in any way we can. At the time, well over a year ago we serviced the customers chains and shipped them out AT OUR COST. They were lost by the USPS, we contacted them after the customer said he didn’t receive them.They told us that to have the customer file a claim and we did. We also filled a claim and they told us that they needed the copies of the receipts of the chains to be able to get any type of refund. We explained this to the customer and never got any receipts from him at all, so there was nothing we could further do. After 6 months if you don’t file a claim they close the case. NOW a year later the customer wants a refund or partial refund for the chains (that were not new) from us even though it was not our fault and the customer didn’t do what they should of to try to help themselves out. Here at RAZZORSHARP we try to keep our cost down for our customers, so far every year post office has raised the prices on us, yet we still haven’t raised our prices at all to our customers, we pay the shipping back. We have been thanked many times for our services and low prices and try to keep it that way as we are blessed with many great satisfied customers, we appreciate them.

To this customer if you want the $77.00 refund that you were charged for our services then we will gladly do that even though it was not our fault. Also if you want to continue using our services then we will gladly do that as well as long as YOU pay for the insurance of your choosing for the chains to be returned to you. We are sorry the post office lost your chains and this is the best we can do for somthing that was not our fault. Thank you And God Bless.
By the way out of the 5 years in business only few packages have been lost in transit. 99.9% of the time all is good.

In my recent experience with the Post Office, it seems to be in trouble. I ordered a new chain and it took almost 4 weeks to arrive. It kept rearriving in Memphis Tenn, and would stay there for several days, depart and then arrive back at Memphis Tenn. Well I did finally get the chain, but it was very interesting to see it flounder in the Post Office system. I don't know how long the OP has been waiting, but it might still show up. YMMV.

They were lost by the USPS, we contacted them after the customer said he didn’t receive them.They told us that to have the customer file a claim and we did. We also filled a claim and they told us that they needed the copies of the receipts of the chains to be able to get any type of refund. We explained this to the customer and never got any receipts from him at all, so there was nothing we could further do. After 6 months if you don’t file a claim they close the case.
What sort of receipt is the customer to produce. If I recall I gave your wife debit card codes over the telephone. Are we talking a print out from the bank that RAZZORSHARP was paid or is the customer supposed to find proof of purchase for the various loops and spools of chain that the various loops sent in came from? We are talking priority mail with tracking here are we not.

I suppose this is also the time frame when folks are expected to be masked and stand in line six feet apart, it might be all the way out the door if a poor time was picked I would guess.
Hello folks, Jeremy from RAZZORSHARP. We seriously appreciate everyone’s comments and opinions about our services as it helps us grow.
Well since you sort of asked, I sent you with the loops of chain a list of what model code and drive link count this piece of paper also had my contact information. You sent me the chains in your bags labeled with my initials, the pitch, and the size in inches. Such piece of paper would have been helpful in this instance if the package got broken apart. It also would have helped me sort out by gauge and drive link count as I lost or could not find the copy I made.

There is a rather active postal employee on here mostly in off topic area.

What sort of receipt is the customer to produce. If I recall I gave your wife debit card codes over the telephone. Are we talking a print out from the bank that RAZZORSHARP was paid or is the customer supposed to find proof of purchase for the various loops and spools of chain that the various loops sent in came from? We are talking priority mail with tracking here are we not.

I suppose this is also the time frame when folks are expected to be masked and stand in line six feet apart, it might be all the way out the door if a poor time was picked I would guess.

Well since you sort of asked, I sent you with the loops of chain a list of what model code and drive link count this piece of paper also had my contact information. You sent me the chains in your bags labeled with my initials, the pitch, and the size in inches. Such piece of paper would have been helpful in this instance if the package got broken apart. It also would have helped me sort out by gauge and drive link count as I lost or could not find the copy I made.

There is a rather active postal employee on here mostly in off topic area.

Hello Franny, what the post office wanted was the receipts of the chains that the customer bought when they purchased them , yes I agree it sounds crazy but that’s what they wanted. We told the customer that as well and gave all info to them and the post office. I’m not sure why you are upset at us though about another customers order. As far as your order went I believe you got all of your chains back with no complaints at the time if I’m correct? My wife does an excellent job of packaging them for folks, haven’t had a single customer EVER complain about the packing at all and she packs a bunch weekly. Also every customer loves our bags that we send the chains back in with their initials , size and pitch on the bags. I’m sorry we don’t put the drive links on there or the gauge, that’s asking a lot for $7.00 a chain not to mention all the other we do such as cleaning the chains, deburr the drive links (if needed) and taking the rakers down (if needed) . We give a FULL service at a great price from what our great customers tell us. Most local shops do nothing like what we do for our customers for that price around here they would laugh at you if you asked them to do all of what we do for $7.00. I apologize if you weren’t satisfied because we didn’t put the gauge and drive links on the bags, honestly I do a ton of chains because of our great service so I do not have time to count every single drive link on every chain , others I’d never get anything done. Please don’t take this message as in a bad way I’m not trying to offend anyone, just giving the other side of the coin if ya know what I mean. We really do appreciate you and your business, thank you and God Bless and Merry Christmas

Back