maintaining flippy caps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ Melampy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok, without letting this turn into a "I hate flippy caps" thread...( I actually like them) I have a 261c that has been leaking bar/chain oil. I have just been laying it on its side so it won't leak and started thinking...surely someone smarter than me has figured out a solution to this little problem...so what do I do? replace the cap? clean it? is there a seal that needs to be replaced? saw is only 6 months old, but I've never cleaned the caps or anything, and since it's leaking, it's really dirty with sawdust/oil mixed. None of my other saws with flippy caps have ever leaked...

If you take the cap by the screws in one hand and rotate it ( like it was on the saw..
meaning the "flippy" top part ) you can see that the cap is make of multiple parts.

The part where the spring is located is very thin and susceptible to a crack = oil leak.

No way to repair..just buy a new cap..not too bad..about $9 or so.

J2F

Remove the o-ring from the cap assembly; clean and use compressed air to blow out any debris. Reinstall. If the leak remains, buy a new cap. The last one I bought cost $7.78.

thanks for your help everyone. I cleaned everything up, without removing anything, and put the cap back on and so far, no leaks...I think there must have been debris wedged in there somewhere...I will know more in the morning

Had the same issue from a saw I bought second hand, removed the o-ring and gave it a good cleaning and put back together no issues thus far.

Latest posts

Back