Making a firewood processor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1CallLandscape

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hi all, im staring a new thread on my firewood processor build / project that i am starting. Im open to all ideas, concerns, experiences, opinions etc....

Im going to build a moderate to large sized splitter, it is going to be a tow behind, not self propelled and it will have a quick change wedge design. i will be using a harvester bar type of cutter. I am a pretty good welder/ fabricator so throw some ideas my way.

If you have any LARGE pistons, motors, controls steel stock etc that you want to part with for free or for a price PLEASE pm me with the details.

I will be posting as i build it and i will include alot of pics for it too

thanks
-mike

Last edited:
howdy,

i'm also building one. getting the hydraulics correct has NOT been easy.

i have hopes of firing it up on friday or next week.....

What is the difference between a firewood processor and a splitter?

Nevermind, google is my friend.:D

i'm running a 4 inch ram with sort of 25 gpm.

goal is you feet a log in one end, and split firewood pieces come out the other end every 5 seconds.

How do you keep from getting pelted with wood chunks when you go to stack the wood?

you dont stack it right away. you use a conveyor off of the splitter to pile it up or load a truck. A firewood processor is like a log splitter on steroids to answer somebody elses question too

so 25 gpm pump is it a 2 stage or single stage???

you dont stack it right away. you use a conveyor off of the splitter to pile it up or load a truck. A firewood processor is like a log splitter on steroids to answer somebody elses question too

so 25 gpm pump is it a 2 stage or single stage???

Thanks for the info. I asked the other question too. I'm full of them.:D

dr miller, Pics?..

Hi , every one , I plan on building a processor as well,.. Lets share some ideas and pics,.. I think Iam going to build a modular unit, Thanks E, J,

I've got a 15.5 briggs with electric start that i was going to put on ebay if your interested.

thanks for the offer!! i already have a 16hp briggs and its too small. im looking for 25 hp or larger prefferably a Wisconsin engine. diesel would be even better. trying to stay away from the briggs too.

i did some research on hydraulic drive motors for the harvester saw and the highest rpm rating i could find was 1000 rpm. could i gain the 8-10,000 rpm by just running a larger sprocket???

Changing your sprocket size would work, just have to do the math to get it where you want. If I see anything else, I'll post back here or pm you. Just a thought to add. Down here you can usually find equipment parts like you are looking for that has caught fire or received other damage. If you are looking for the havester saw drive specifically, I'll check around. I know where a loader is now that has the boom and grapple intact, just don't remeber if it has the harvester attachment or not.

Last edited:
Changing your sprocket size would work, just have to do the math to get it where you want. If I see anything else, I'll post back here or pm you. Just a thought to add. Down here you can usually find equipment parts like you are looking for that has caught fire or received other damage. If you are looking for the havester saw drive specifically, I'll check around. I know where a loader is now that has the boom and grapple intact, just don't remeber if it has the harvester attachment or not.

WRONG!!!!! Looked into that, for harvester you are limited, I believe, to a 14 or 17 pin available sprocket. Yes, you can have it custom built, but then you run into having to have a VERY wide bar or a lot of chain flapping in the breeze, either isn't good for high production work, and with the chain being loaded hydraulicly. I forgot the math, but I was wanting to spin at 10k then use a 14 pin sprocket to get the chainspeed up. The company I was trying to build it for didn't want to use a gearbox of any sort, firm belivers in K I S S!

Thinkin

I WAnt 2 build a modular unit,.it waz origanily a reel mower, so hyd componets are aglor, almost 2 much.....I might not even be able 2 figure it all out..its so complex...my point is ,..If I build a HIGH volume spliter ...with a conveyor out put,.. why not add a feed chain, and saw unit, all hyd seperate from the spliter .But run off the splitter head, .Being a modular unit ,.I can put the head / power unit in the shop at night and keep it warm, and tight, while mother nature does her thing ...And ....I can drive up 2 a pile of rounds and do my thing there as well,...with just the splitter head,and maybe the small portable conveyor... Oh well... just, thinkin,...E, J.

Last edited:
WRONG!!!!! Looked into that, for harvester you are limited, I believe, to a 14 or 17 pin available sprocket. Yes, you can have it custom built, but then you run into having to have a VERY wide bar or a lot of chain flapping in the breeze, either isn't good for high production work, and with the chain being loaded hydraulicly. I forgot the math, but I was wanting to spin at 10k then use a 14 pin sprocket to get the chainspeed up. The company I was trying to build it for didn't want to use a gearbox of any sort, firm belivers in K I S S!

Ok. I stand corrected. I am not familar with the havester drives in particular, only the concepts discussed. I yield to higher knowledge.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Ok. I stand corrected. I am not familar with the havester drives in particular, only the concepts discussed. I yield to higher knowledge.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Sorry, didn't mean to be mean about it.:laugh:

I went through this a very short time ago, a company wanted a hydraulic saw built for an excavator. I did all the leg work, found out what I could, and they didn't like the answers I had. Not sure what will happen out of it yet, but I think the idea got shelved.

The processor Ive seen run did not use a two stage pump. It had probably a 30 or 40 horse diesel engine mated to about a 22gpm pump. If you go with a 2 stage, your cycle times are gonna hit the dust.

If you want to keep your cycle times at 5 seconds, you need to start with the pump and cylinder, and build the machine around these two items.

Keep in mind your pump is also going to run your bar up and down, the chain spinning, and any sort of conveyor you have on the processor for advancing the log as it gets cut. You'll also need some sort of mechanical/hydraulically controlled arm for holding the log as its being cut.

EDIT: As far as chain speed, I would think you could compromise by taking the rakers down considerably. Since you arent holding onto the bar and chain, and there is really not a lot of chance for kickback. Also downforce is being applied hydraulically. Youd want some sort of relief valve set up on your bar valve so you arent applying full pressure. Something you can adjust for various loads.

mine is going to be 22 horsepower, and 25 gpm, with a 4 inch ram, at 3000 psi.

i should be around 5 second cycle times. Gonna be interesting for sure!!!!

the magic is indeed in the design of the hydraulics.

Latest posts

Back