Making a firewood processor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cabinman

cabinman

ArboristSite Guru
Firewood Processor

Mr, Fire Wood,... Have you been workin on your processor?.. I remember you saying you could help me find a LARGE circular saw blade,.50.0 inches or so .Iam getting ready to start putting all the pieces together, And I hope I can aford to go with a carbide insert blade,.. Thanks Eric

blackdoggy

blackdoggy

ArboristSite Operative
I don't see why a small car motor and trans couldn't be used for powering your processor I mean there not to expensive used not to mention cheaper and easier to repair. In an ideal world when building a processor you would have a chain or rollers feeding your logs to a bar and you would load the unit with a boom grapple such as this http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=JMS+110&catID= . But what do I know I am not a certified engineer or designer all I know is that type of processor would be faster and easier to run than your typical unit that requires a loader and a person to get on the unit to clear jams. Don't forget to build the operators cab with heat especially since its getting really cold out lol.

STLfirewood

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
If you don;t want to go through the trouble of building one I have one for sale. It has a 40hp Kubota Diesel. It has a 6 way splitting wedge with a double cylinder push ram. It will take a litle bigger then a 20inch log. I want to get 9k for it.

Scott

Mike Van

Mike Van

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Just my 2 cents - Don't guess at engine, pump, ram sizes etc. Getting one of these built & having it not work good is a waste of time and $$$$$$$. There are dozens of manufactered ones built, check them all out. Google, ebay, whatever. Find out what they use for components and get as close as you can. They've already done the engineering, made the mistakes & [hopefully] corrected them. Some 10 years ago I built a small crane for my F350, I got info. from everyplace that I could find, then built. Got it done & it worked - Still does too. Cutting, drilling, & welding steel takes too much time to do it twice. 10+ years ago I watched a Multi-Tek processor at a show in Springfield Ma. - It worked slick - If there was one I was going to "borrow" ideas from, it'd be that one.

Last edited:
blackdoggy

blackdoggy

ArboristSite Operative
Heres a thought... I saw on a commercial trash compactor a set of small long stroke rams set in a X configuration. Would that configuration be stronger than running two cylinders of the same size inline with each other? I am also wondering if two cylinders could be run in sync with each other off of one high GPM high pressure gear pump to achieve a high tonnage on one push plate?

cabinman

cabinman

ArboristSite Guru
compacter

Heres a thought... I saw on a commercial trash compactor a set of small long stroke rams set in a X configuration. Would that configuration be stronger than running two cylinders of the same size inline with each other? I am also wondering if two cylinders could be run in sync with each other off of one high GPM high pressure gear pump to achieve a high tonnage on one push plate?

Run them in line,..same valve, large hoses ,.they were probably built that way for stability, (On the compacter) good luck

cantcutter

cantcutter

ArboristSite Operative
This would work great on one.
chainsaw.jpg

I am thinking about building one in the few year future.... I am going to have a chain drive to feed the logs into the saw....then the block will fall down to the splitter, but I want two splitters side by side..... when one ram is splitting the other is retreating for the next block. All it would need is for the top of the forward ram to have a plate of steal angled to direct the next block into the open ram and vis versa.

zanderson

zanderson

ArboristSite Lurker
So kinda on the same subject here... I came across a home built processor the other day on a firewood delivery. The guy who owns it claims it can do five cords and hour cut and split (although the splitter part hasn't ever been finished..). I'd like to pay to have this thing finished and then start using it but it seems risky. can a home-built processor hold up under production type demands? or is it just going to be more hassle than its worth? thoughts?
- btw - its power by a straight six (Ford?) has a 50 gallon hydraulic tank, can take up to 24 ft logs and has a (claimed) 5 second cycle time.

rb_in_va

rb_in_va

Addicted to ArboristSite
So kinda on the same subject here... I came across a home built processor the other day on a firewood delivery. The guy who owns it claims it can do five cords and hour cut and split (although the splitter part hasn't ever been finished..). I'd like to pay to have this thing finished and then start using it but it seems risky. can a home-built processor hold up under production type demands? or is it just going to be more hassle than its worth? thoughts?
- btw - its power by a straight six (Ford?) has a 50 gallon hydraulic tank, can take up to 24 ft logs and has a (claimed) 5 second cycle time.

That looks like a mill. They are using it to process firewood?

Latest posts