Making old saw run...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clem

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was given an old Poulan Pro top handle saw several years ago, I think a model 25, and through my neglect, it no longer runs. To be honest the guy who gave it to me said all the good had been used out of it, but I have used it to cut a good volume of firewood and take down a few pines nearby. So, the saw will no longer start, I assume from leaving gas in it so long, but it never would idle, always had to keep goosing the throttle to keep it going. What is a good source of info to rebuild the carb and make the proper adjustments to it? Also are parts available for something as old as I think this is? Any replies appreciated, Clem.

Poulan 25's used Tillotson carbs for a while, not sure if they used them for the whole run though.

Definitely sounds like a carb rebuild is in order, but check the compression first to make sure it is up to snuff. Dont want to waste your time rebuilding the carb for an engine with low compression.

A local Husqvarna dealer should be able to get you a rebuild kit, since Husqvarna used this saw in their lineup for a couple years. Just take the carb to the dealer to make sure you get the right kit

They were made with both Tillotson and Walbro carbs. A kit used to cost about 8 bucks. I'm sure that they are still available but if you have trouble let me know-I have an unused kit in the shop I think but I don't remember which carb it is for.

Thanks for the info. What I really want is to buy a new Stihl 290 or 250, sort of a heavy-homeowner saw, but having the old saw as a lightweight spare would be nice, too. Clem.

Originally posted by Clem
What I really want is to buy a new Stihl 290 or 250, sort of a heavy-homeowner saw

Well the 290 really excels at being a heavy homeowner saw :D

Seriously, stay away from it, get a 250, 270, or 280 if you must have a Stihl

Just curious, why stay away from 290? Too big for my stated purposes, or just don't like it? Obviously you would recommend something husky...

People used to "pro" saws look down on homeowner stuff. There are thousands of people who are happy with and would recommend a tihl 029 "farmboss". For homeowner use this saw, with care will last for years. If one suits your needs do not hesitate to buy one.

Back to the old Poulan. I have revived a number of them by pouring gas through the carb , firing it up, run till it dies, repeat. Often after the 4th , fifth or sixth time enough junk has disssolved to get the carb to pumping again.On the other hand there are no guarantees. A half hour of doing that can make you crazy.
:p

Stumper, that is one strategy I tried. I then climbed an oak tree with a 3' bow saw and took it down in 8' sections. I looked for anything that could have been the problem, saw the wire from the on/off switch broken, pulled the covers off to repair that, found a broken fuel line, paid for that expensive tygon, too short, bought more, finally wormed it through all the requisite areas and still couldn't start the saw. Tired of messing with it, I decided to let it alone a while. Figured I'd get some free expert advice about the carb. Since then I found a site that sells carb kits, with an layout of parts picture for ID purposes, and will buy that and install before I mess with it any more. . Looking at the specs for the Stihls, the 250 and 260 weigh less, power good, probably better choice. Seem Stihl and Husky are the two saws with the most support around here. Thanks for all the responses, Clem.

Back