making ourselves obsolete

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I would want to try palm pruning. Have you noticed how many people are killed spiking up palms and getting mashed by the fronds dropping down over them? Luckily it is not a big problem in ND.

One of those jobs that looks easy to get into, just a saddle, spurs and saw, but ends up bad very often. It would really pay to put in a false crotch with a pulley at the top, so you could lower yourself to the ground after you cut your lanyard loose. Be sure it is not a steel core lanyard. This might not even work, as I say my experience in palms ended when I did the removal in the Dean of Education's office at WIU in the '80s.

Holy k-wrap. It appears they may be something tree related (well palm related at least) that I know a little more than you do Bob. Yay for me!

It is sad but true that fronds can kill you. Washingtonia fronds at least. This is me having some fun at my sisters place but simultaneously demonstrating what is the safest way to prune this palm. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tI35IO9gvE (if you dont like George Thorogood don't watch. But then if you don't like George Thorogood you are probably dead at the wheel anyway!)

Back to the OP for just a moment. I notice there are a large number of positive replies to what was essentially a negative staement. I guess this means that a large number of arborists here, at least, believe they can adapt and profit despite the changing industry. Me too!

Back to the OP for just a moment. I notice there are a large number of positive replies to what was essentially a negative staement. I guess this means that a large number of arborists here, at least, believe they can adapt and profit despite the changing industry. Me too!

Let's see if you feel the same way when your winter rolls around.:)

Isn't this job getting easier and safer? With the evolution of better and more job specific gear and equipment and the demand to always wear ppe and follow more exacting standards (ANSI)....

Is this job even dangerous anymore?

Any of the more dangerous techniques one wants to learn they can just pick up a book, watch a video......or go on a forum and ask (respectfully). Are we creating our own monsters.

I have a little different perspective than most of you that don't know that relatively speaking...there were not that many tree companies to compete with back in the late 60's. There were always accidents, the gear and equipment very primitive (hemp rope!) and the level of knowledge was so far behind what it is now across the profession....it is a wonder more people did not die.

But now even though at first glance it appears to be death defying in nature....tree work truthfully with perpetually secured climbing, double tie ins, foolproof rope and harnesses sophisticated equipment, etc....has it become something like riding a bicycle and anyone can and will do it to the point that virtually everyone is or was a treeman at one time?

Newb....."how do you amazing guys get that giant dead tree down that is hanging over that mansion...."

"Well, look kid, pull your chair up to the computer screen, get a pencil and paper and ......"

Of course this is true. Anyone who can speak against this was doing this work before the advent of the internet era.

There is one thing about this work though, heights. If it is the same for everyone when they take a saw up their first trees, a very small percentage of people are going to consider climbing trees for an occupation.

I remember working in my first trees a few years ago and how paranoid my psych would get. I'd have to stop working and just relax up there from time to time because my mind could not stop with the vivid assumptions about dieing on the deck below and how that equals no next day. These things would be spurting through my mind, and my legs and arms would go limp as my blood became saturated with fear. I'd get so pissed off at this **** holding up my work that I go right back to it more mad about being #####fied up there than afraid of dieing. Basically getting pissed was how I made from being a newbie fearling climber to the calm and collect mentality I work with now.

I don't think most people would go for all of that, so the numbers of climbers are always going to be low. With the population of the middle class and upper class always rising exponentially, the number of tree jobs will also continue to rise. The numbers of climbers will always be much sparser than the main population, but their going to rise with the population and wealth increases and with the new tech widely available. That's reality.

Latest posts

Back