Making raised beds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AND,, the concrete is limestone, so the block will constantly be raising the pH,, not good.

I live in Virginia, we always fought low pH due to acid rain,,
now, they quit burning coal for electricity, no more acid rain, my soil pH is going over 7.

I had to start buying sulfur to acidify the soil,,,
In this area, it is a good thing because the soils are typically low pH. Farmers here have to lime their fields annually.

I have been growing organic vegetables for 49 years.
I use double dug raised beds with no lumber or stone for over 15 years & they are still going strong.
I said that, so you would know I am Not against raised beds.
BUT you do not need raised bed, unless you have heavy clay & or stone in your garden or you have a high water table & wet soil ten months out the year.
This does not mean you should not have raised beds, just that it is not needed, to have a good garden.
I mowed down my raspberries, that was out of control (my fault), & turned the soil, that had not been planted in twenty years.
I then put the onions just under the soil & they have multiplied six fold, with no added compost or fertilizer.
If you follow the basic rules, then you will have more than you can eat.
We have low pH(4.5-5.5) here in S.C., because it is an ancient seashore, great for my Rabbiteye blueberries, black berries & southern raspberries.
I use gypsum which is calcium sulfate dihydrate, CaSO4.2H2O in pellet form so the wind will not blow it away & I will not breathe it.
I use coffee chaff compost, some animal waste, leaves, wheat straw & pasture clipping, some wood chips for mushrooms.
Going to try rice husk on my garlic/onion beds as mulch this Fall, the husk are small & will not hinder the bulbing of the plants in any way.
Hopefully they will not mat or blow away.

I'd like to point out that I'm not against raised beds. They are especially useful for those that have physical limitations that makes regular gardening difficult. Bear in mind though that raised beds still require a lot of work preparing, weeding and harvesting.

And raised beds can limit the use of various gardening tools that can greatly reduce the labor involved in gardening such as Wheel Hoes and Roto-Tillers. Look into the wheel hoes that Hoss Tools sells. I collect antique Planet Jr. wheel hoes and gas powered cultivators. Plus I've got 3 working Troy-bilt 8hp rototillers.

View attachment 971409

View attachment 971410

TB Horse hard at work! bar treads, bumper... Briggs 8 is my guess. enjoyed seeing.... :)

I agree. Rototilling also redistributes natural soil microbes to non optimal depths. I try to use the rototiller to knock down winter weeds tilling to 4 inches deep of so than I broadfork the 3ft wide bet to 14 inches deep. The broadforking is much more difficult the first time it is used in a bed but gets much easier the second and third season. I don't broadfork for fall crops where I broadforked for the spring crop. Eventually beds only need broadforking every two or three years and then none at all.

I should be using winter cover crops. It's something I need to work on. I've got some Sun Hemp seed that I plan on sowing in empty beds in late July for a fall cover crop. It winter kills in this area.
not me! i think D. Raymond in his book Joy of Gardening clearly and demonstratively made his point!

We built our raised bed about 16 inches high made it out of mostly the old front steps after we put a new porch on and some other wood I had laying around from other projects . For dirt most of it was top soil that was dig out of the spot we laid the gravel driveway in after it was screened and city compost(mostly wood shrubs dried grass and peoples garden clippings) that we get by the truck load as well as my compost from my kitchen scrap composter and yard waste composter. Nice think about living on ex swamp land is my yard has about 3ft of top soil already and if you dig anywhere near the clay layer you will fill a hole with ground water.

I stopped at the farmer down the street. He's trying to dig a pond in a wet area and the dirt looks like black charcoal. He's got a screener and a dump truck, so I have secured the majority of the dirt for my raised beds. It'll take a few weeks for it to dry out enough for him to get back there but it's already set up to get enough when he's starting to sell it.

sis uses concrete blocks for her raised beds. 2 high seams to work decent then fill with good dirt/compost/horse manure/etc. Grows good stuff in them, BUT water is always the problem with raised beds! --- Thats why I dont use them! got 3 out here that are cross ties 3 high and we did try them one year and found they are WAY too much work for what little you get in return. We dont have the time to mess with them. 4.5 acres flat ground gardens take up all of our time! IF you have the time, ---- they are great!

Latest posts

Back