Makita 6401 VS MS361 VS MS390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While you guys are on the topic, there's a dealer demo 361 nearby I might buy next week when my tax refund gets here. $450 and since it's not *new* I can gut the muffler.
But then I've wanted a 6401 for awhile to do the conversion.
I'm thinking snap up the 361 since 6401's area dime a dozen and maybe get lucky at Home Depot for a 6401.
Although after running the 361 I was disappointed that it seemed weaker than an 036 I'm selling.

Whatup Joe! :)

Dude... Grab that 361 and run like hell! Gut the muffler and (one day, hopefully soon) get'er ported! :D

:cheers:

I may consider staying with my 6401 and just do the 7900 top end to put it in the right class. Then later decide which 50-60cc saw i want. That may be the best decision in the end

If you are going to put some hours on the saw that is an excellent choice. The 6401 best attribute as a 64cc saw is the fact that it is waaaaaay overbuilt for the cc. It should last for ever. Other than that, as a 64cc saw it is a fat pig, with a tiiiiiiny air filter and not particularly impressive performance.

The 361 is the gold standard of the 60cc class. Great saw, good track record with respectable performance. Having said that I still do not have my own and will stick with 036s(1125). I am not a fan of the springs or the air filter on the 361s.

The 390 is a good saw. Despite what people will say it is competitive with the 6400 and the 361. The design is solid and reliable. I currently use one as my stump/beater saw, 20" hard tip with .375x7. Works fine and has held up fine despite what every one has said. This particular 390 was built out of used broken parts.

Do not get caught up in the hype. Out of those three saws the one that gives you the most bang for the buck is the 6401. However, it takes some bucks before you get any bang.

if you do baileys bigbore kit youl be saveing a ton of money compared to trying to scrap together the money for 361. i feel the 61 is overated it just cost to much.
if you were hardset on getn a 361 id try and steer you towards a used one or pissibly even another brand.

is your 6401 muffler modded yet?

My 6401 is still new. Only about 1 tank threw it so far. I havent even touched the carb or anything yet on it

then why the want for a 361?

I'm thinking the 361 cause when I bought the 6401 i never had a plan for the BB kit. I wanted a good 60cc class saw. Well after running it it just feels like it needs to have the bb kit to match its size and weight. Thats why i am considering other options at the moment. It's a great saw though and i do like it but wanted something a little more low profile i guess you can saw. Just weighing my options i guess

I have to disagree about the 361 being the gold standard in the 60cc class...or you haven't run a Husky 262XP.
Wildman I have a 262 I'd send ya for that 6401.

I have to disagree about the 361 being the gold standard in the 60cc class...or you haven't run a Husky 262XP.
Wildman I have a 262 I'd send ya for that 6401.

I've actually never ran a husky anything! I was considering a 359 for awhile though. I'm open to all options but only listed the stihls cause thats all I really have experience with thats a newer saw.

if you get a 359 ill send you my muffler mine is cut in half and gutted along with an extra port.

After about two cords so far with the 361 it has started to wake up nicely and will just about run with my old 266se backup saw. To me it's not too heavy to limb with but then again i'm not limbing pine trees with 50 or so little limbs all day. Oaks and such just don't have all that many limbs for me to wish it was lighter. I have to hand "skid" all my stuff out several yards (up to 50 sometimes) so for me to take on anything more than 18" or 20" diameter once in a while is too much to handle. For the wood i get most of the time (12" or so usually) the 361 seems perfect and then when I do have the help of a buddy and a four wheeler I can (and have) tackled the larger (24") stuff without issue. If I had the Makita I don't think I would feel the need for the 361 though. But I certainly don't feel the need for a larger saw or a smaller saw for that matter.

What hasn't been said about the 361, I'm open to any brand, that's why we recently added a Husky 346xpne to the work saw pool. Never run a Husky 262, but run quite a few saws over the last thirty five years and of all the saws I've used the 361 is the best pure firewood, all around farm saw I've ever run. We've run it for 2 1/2 years and it cut the majority of the 370+ cords this year and over 100 the first year and a half. We have done nothing to the saw but add mix and bar oil, and replace the bar as I bent the hell out of the original. We only have ours muffler modded and run a eight pin sprocket and 18" bar and it's a wood eat'in machine. The 038's pretty much sit anymore.
As we have hired hands it gets it's fair share of abuse from time to time and has been bullet proof. It's light, has great anti-vibe and more than enough power to handle 20" bars with ease. I'm sure the kita/dolmar is a quality saw as well, but the ergonomics and handling of the 361 are great.
The 346 is the best 50cc saw I've ever run, so far it has been exceptional, the only thing I see is that the case/handle/etc just don't look nearly as heavily constructed as the pro Stihl's, only time will tell how components other than the engine hold up, I'm hoping they do as it is a great little saw.
I would give it a little time with the saw you have, but don't wait too long or the 361's will be history. It took the 361 8-10 tanks to get broke in.
It's the start of CAD, although the 390 is a good saw, it's heavier than it needs to be and the 361 just out performs it, plus if you eaver have it go down the 390 will in most cases cost much more to repair.

I honestly think you'll be disappointed with the 361's power compared to the 6401. I think you'd be happy with a good 50cc saw. I'd keep the 6401 and add the 7900 top end and buy a good 50cc saw, that way you have a bucking saw and a limb saw.

:agree2:

A stock 6401 will outrun a stock 361 pretty handily especially in the bigger wood.
I don't know that you need a 7900 top end but you DO need a nice light 50cc saw to compliment the 6401.
The 390 is a fine saw for a firewood cutter and will give you a good service life with good care, but neither it nor the 361 is that much lighter than the 6401.
MY SUGGESTION is that you keep what you've got and pick up something in the 40-50cc range to take care of your "light work".

Financially speaking, trading the 6401 for a 361 straight up, provided they are in the same condition is a "no brainer". Make the trade, sell the 361, buy the 390 and have a few $$ to put toward a MS-211 or a PS-420.

Mike

Latest posts

Back