Makita 6401 VS MS361 VS MS390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:agree2:

A stock 6401 will outrun a stock 361 pretty handily especially in the bigger wood.
I don't know that you need a 7900 top end but you DO need a nice light 50cc saw to compliment the 6401.
The 390 is a fine saw for a firewood cutter and will give you a good service life with good care, but neither it nor the 361 is that much lighter than the 6401.
MY SUGGESTION is that you keep what you've got and pick up something in the 40-50cc range to take care of your "light work".

Financially speaking, trading the 6401 for a 361 straight up, provided they are in the same condition is a "no brainer". Make the trade, sell the 361, buy the 390 and have a few $$ to put toward a MS-211 or a PS-420.

Mike

I have my MM 025 which I really like in the small stuff. What about just waiting a little bit and doing the BB kit to the 6401 and then getting a 50-60cc saw to satisfy that urge? I have lots of saws bigger then 70cc but non that are a new, reliable and safe saw for everyday use. doing a BB kit would solve that issue and help feed the CAD issue to

ahhhhhhhh finaly were seeing through the cancer cureing clouds to real light underneath

I have my MM 025 which I really like in the small stuff. What about just waiting a little bit and doing the BB kit to the 6401 and then getting a 50-60cc saw to satisfy that urge? I have lots of saws bigger then 70cc but non that are a new, reliable and safe saw for everyday use. doing a BB kit would solve that issue and help feed the CAD issue to

Sounds like a plan, Man!

You know the funniest thing, I bought my 6401 specifically to put the 7900 top end on it, but I made the mistake of running a few tanks of mix through it before the upgrade.
I liked the 6401 so well that after I upgraded, I missed it.
Every time I walked into the shop, there was that practically new perfect condition 64cc p&c sitting there on the shelf staring at me, so I started hunting a blown up saw to put the 64cc kit on.
I can't find one anywhere.
I ended up with a 6400 brand new in a trade I couldn't refuse, so I guess I'll keep looking for a blown saw or just wait till I wear out the 6400.
I sure feel guilty about that 64cc P&C sitting there all alone and unused though.LOL

Mike

Sounds like a plan, Man!

You know the funniest thing, I bought my 6401 specifically to put the 7900 top end on it, but I made the mistake of running a few tanks of mix through it before the upgrade.
I liked the 6401 so well that after I upgraded, I missed it.
Every time I walked into the shop, there was that practically new perfect condition 64cc p&c sitting there on the shelf staring at me, so I started hunting a blown up saw to put the 64cc kit on.
I can't find one anywhere.
I ended up with a 6400 brand new in a trade I couldn't refuse, so I guess I'll keep looking for a blown saw or just wait till I wear out the 6400.
I sure feel guilty about that 64cc P&C sitting there all alone and unused though.LOL

Mike

Well there is no doubt I love the saw and that iot is a good saw...But I guess I just gotta make it what it is...A 7901. I guess i'll just use it for now and worry about a 50-60cc saw later. Damn CAD I tell ya

your 6401 could be cutting wood like this
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/Evan03_photo/saw%20stuff/GEDC0886.flv">

your 6401 could be cutting wood like this
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/Evan03_photo/saw%20stuff/GEDC0886.flv">

Why must you feed the addiction! HEHE :cheers:

cant help myself.

the 6401 is very good saw if often thought about getting one, and i have never thought about getting a 361. the only way id get a 361 is if i could get it for less then 75 bucks preferably 50

my saw line up goes 066 440 372 034super 359 026

so even though 1lb heavier then the 361 its pretty well blowin it away in the power dept

I have to disagree about the 361 being the gold standard in the 60cc class...or you haven't run a Husky 262XP.
Wildman I have a 262 I'd send ya for that 6401.

Few have and have to agree with ya. I recently got to run one awhile back that an old fella bought new and tweaked his back so doesn't use it anymore. We were removing a coffee bean tree while he was going on and on about how much wood he used to cut and they don't make saws like they used to and stihl sucks this and stihl sucks that and then he popped out of a shed with the 262 that looked like it came out of the showroom. We gassed it up and I cut about a tanks worth through it and have never been as impressed with a 60cc saw as I was with that. I tried everything from doing the tree for half price to almost offering up the wife for it and he wouldn't budge, said he was saving it for the grandson. Lucky kid!

Whatup Joe! :)

Dude... Grab that 361 and run like hell! Gut the muffler and (one day, hopefully soon) get'er ported! :D :cheers:

:cheers: Jason.
That's pretty much what I'm thinking, $450 plus a port job is going to run about the same as a 6401 with a factory 7900 cyl. That plus I got another creampuff 440 the other day that needs a tank, so having one of those ported would seem logical instead of buying the Dolmakita.
Still, I've been fiending for a 7900 pretty bad after running yours..
:greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw: :cheers:

:cheers: Jason.
That's pretty much what I'm thinking, $450 plus a port job is going to run about the same as a 6401 with a factory 7900 cyl. That plus I got another creampuff 440 the other day that needs a tank, so having one of those ported would seem logical instead of buying the Dolmakita.
Still, I've been fiending for a 7900 pretty bad after running yours..
:greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw: :cheers:

That little'ole thing? ;) :D

Aww shucks, I didn't know one of my boys had such an influence on ya. :)

:cheers:

so even though 1lb heavier then the 361 its pretty well blowin it away in the power dept
The real difference is closer to two lbs!

Even a 372xp actually is a tad lighter than a 6401, so I don't really understand why anyone consider that model at all!

Last edited:

Even a 372xp actually is a tad lighter than a 6401, so I don't really understand why anyone consider that model at all!

It's just like the ugly prostitute Sawtroll,

Knows the job and does it REAL well!!!

It's just hard to find a better quality, stronger running saw for less money.
Power to weight is a BIG issue for you. For others power to $$$ is a MUCH bigger issue.

Mike

Kinda proves what I was saying earlier. 60cc saw trapped in a 80cc body. I think I'm gonna do the BB kit/7900 upgrade to mine and keep it. I'm gonna need a nice 50-60cc saw though to complete the "newer 3 saw plan" 025,???,7901

I have an 025 and really like it as my small saw. What would make a really good 50-60cc saw for future purchase. I want the smallest, lightest saw that can run a 18-20" bar comfortable. 311,034,036,039? 346,357,359,262,268? 510,5100S? 3400,3700,4000? This is a non brand bias question

:agree2:. Why marry a girl that needs plastic surgery and implants. :clap:

Too bad most people that cut a fair amount of firewood will never know they could go to Home Depot and buy a slightly used 6401 for 200.00 and have a saw that will probably out last and out cut any box store saw at twice the price. Then if blows up or they get on this site and find out about the 7900 upgrade the saw will become one of the best all around saws you can buy. And all for a price much less than any homeowner saw they could buy at your local store.

One thing I never understood is why people say the 7900 is the best value in a saw. If it were the same price as the equal name brand saw I think it would still be a great value. I think that just shows the POWER of name recognition and brand loyalty. People will pay more money for perception?

Kinda proves what I was saying earlier. 60cc saw trapped in a 80cc body. I think I'm gonna do the BB kit/7900 upgrade to mine and keep it. I'm gonna need a nice 50-60cc saw though to complete the "newer 3 saw plan" 025,???,7901

I have an 025 and really like it as my small saw. What would make a really good 50-60cc saw for future purchase. I want the smallest, lightest saw that can run a 18-20" bar comfortable. 311,034,036,039? 346,357,359,262,268? 510,5100S? 3400,3700,4000? This is a non brand bias question

The 346XP and the 5100 are great saws in this category, but sawtroll will tell you they won't pull a 20" bar.
The 3400/3700 will out power both of them but they are considerably heavier. (They are considerably cheaper and have auto/manual oilers too)
The 357 should be close to what you're looking for.
If I were you, I might be real tempted to see what the 56cc 5100 is going to be like.

Mike

The 346XP and the 5100 are great saws in this category, but sawtroll will tell you they won't pull a 20" bar.
The 3400/3700 will out power both of them but they are considerably heavier. (They are considerably cheaper and have auto/manual oilers too)
The 357 should be close to what you're looking for.
If I were you, I might be real tempted to see what the 56cc 5100 is going to be like.

Mike

I would be interested in the new 5100 to since I would have great dealer support if I needed it. I was looking at them today at the cutting edge and appear to be nice saws

Apparently nobody read my post 2 pages back when I said the 372 is the best saw in it's class pulling a 20" bar! BAR NONE!

Latest posts

Back