Makita 6401

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
labdad

labdad

ArboristSite Operative
Well I finally found one and pulled the trigger. It looks to be in great shape and runs strong. At some point I'm sure it will get a BBK on it along with the HD air cleaner but for now it will have to be happy stock. I bucked some 24" oak this morning and it cut right though no problems. I am pretty happy with my first non Husky chain saw.IMG_20131211_194236_882.jpg

cheeves
I never ran mine stock because the p/c was toast, but the bbk is awesome!
I totally agree! nmurph built mine with a 79cc Mahle P/C, and it is one awesome saw! Built like a tank!! Some people think they are heavy, but when I am cutting firewood with it it doesn't feel heavy to me at all! Like to find another at HD!!! :laugh:

fuzz1500
F

fuzz1500

I totally agree! nmurph built mine with a 79cc Mahle P/C, and it is one awesome saw! Built like a tank!! Some people think they are heavy, but when I am cutting firewood with it it doesn't feel heavy to me at all! Like to find another at HD!!! :laugh:

You know what..they are a little heavier . But they are so well balanced and feel so good in the hands , you dont even notice !!

VINIFIREWOOD

VINIFIREWOOD

I only no what I know
So what did you think, didn't make enough difference for the cost.

I was expecting a performance increase but never had to change the carb settings. I took it off and sold it. This summer I learned that Dolmar offered a nylon screened filter, just like the original flocked filter but with an extremely fine screen material instead of the flocking. This one I did have to richen the carb settings.

Mac 6-10

Mac 6-10

Steve on O. P. E.
I was expecting a performance increase but never had to change the carb settings. I took it off and sold it. This summer I learned that Dolmar offered a nylon screened filter, just like the original flocked filter but with an extremely fine screen material instead of the flocking. This one I did have to richen the carb settings.

I believe the HD filter kit is to lessen the filter cleaning interval during commercial use. my stock filter doesn't really get very dirty during my use so I cant justify the extra cost for the HD filter. now that Silk type filter on the other hand are my favorite type of filter. easy to clean and I feel they breath better.

VINIFIREWOOD

VINIFIREWOOD

I only no what I know
I believe the HD filter kit is to lessen the filter cleaning interval during commercial use. my stock filter doesn't really get very dirty during my use so I cant justify the extra cost for the HD filter. now that Silk type filter on the other hand are my favorite type of filter. easy to clean and I feel they breath better.

I actually was very unhappy with the setup. I never figured out how, but a lot of saw dust and smaller chips found their way into the filter area and would pack in, in between the outer wrap or sleeve and the cartridge filter.
Much much happier with this new mesh filter. Way easier to clean and I know by my carb settings that it breaths way better.

VINIFIREWOOD

VINIFIREWOOD

I only no what I know
Kinda sounds like the same idea as the K & N air filters .
Very close
Pleated filter with an outer wrap made of kinda like a heavy felt. Problem was where the felt was sewn together it hung out away from the pleated filter. Thought about calling OuterWears for a different outer filter but already had too much invested just for an air filter.

Speed

Speed

ArboristSite Operative
I love my 6421. Bought it last January with full intentions of installing a 7900 p/c kit. 30+ cords later it still hasn't gotten one, only a non cat muffler. Someday it will I'm sure, but I just haven't seen the need yet. Pulls a 24" full comp chisel easily in anything it has seen so far.