makita 84cc big bore over heating ignition module

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyduke

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
i bought this saw a few years ago and installed the nwp 84cc top end on it. it was my second one. i took it on a few jobs and it would always start easily first time in the morning but when you let off the throttle after the first cut, it would die and wouldn't restart until after it had cooled for a couple of hours. i figured right away that it was the ignition module and hoped i could find a deal on one somewhere. the oem replacement part is expensive. a few weeks ago i decided to pull the starter and find out the color of the module so i would know if i had to buy a new flywheel too. i found the ignition module (black i think) completely packed in fine oil soaked chips, the kind of chips a dull chain makes. i cleanded up the mess and that seemed to solve the problem. here's a vid of the stress test. the wood is populus fremontis, fremont cottonwood. you can watch the chain getting dull on the silicates in the wood.

Latest posts

Back