Makita/Dolmar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

24d

Turns Wood To Ashes
Reaction score
My local saw dealer has just taken the Dolmar line. I'v asked about them twice (first he didn't have em yet, now they are hid in a corner) both times he made it a point to tell me they were not real Dolmars but Makita Dolmars. Is their some kind of Makita/Dolmar connection that I'm not aware of?

Later,

My local saw dealer has just taken the Dolmar line. I'v asked about them twice (first he didn't have em yet, now they are hid in a corner) both times he made it a point to tell me they were not real Dolmars but Makita Dolmars. Is their some kind of Makita/Dolmar connection that I'm not aware of?

Later,

Are they Blue or Red/Orange & black??

Makita owns Dolmar but Dolmar is still Dolmar and still made in Hamburg Germany since 1927
Dolmar makes some models in blue for Makita

Scott

????

I confess that I don't know all that much about chainsaws when compared to some on this site, but I am pretty sure that all of the Makita saws are made by Dolmar. Having said that, I bought a used Makita 6401 on ebay a couple of weeks ago. It had a bad bar, and I figured out that the bar oil was truned off, and it started hard when warm because of it. Other than that I have been very surprised with how strong this saw cuts. If there is such a thing as Makita/Dolmar I for one sure wouldn't worry about it. I read somewhere that the DCS in the Makita designation for the model number stands for Dolmar Chain Saw. I don't think you can go wrong if you are looking to buy a new saw. JR

Makita makes Dolmar's electric saw
Dolmar makes Maakita's gas saw's
Weather its a Dolmar or a Makita, its a good saw

A testimonial

I can say one thing for the Makita chainsaws - they are rented by The Home Depot (gas and electric). Whatever you think of Home Depot, or the cheap saws that they sell in their garden aisle, if these saws stand up to rental use, and Home Depot rental use, that says a lot.

I've spoken to a couple of the rental guys at different Home Depots who service the saws and they have a very high opinion of them. They see a lot of stuff used really hard.

The other thing to note is that Home Depot sells them out of rental periodically - I bought one of the electrics.

Philbert

So what does everyone think...185 for a used 6401 Makita. Picture looks good, says it runs well. Found it on craigslist

BTMadman

I'd grab it in a heartbeat, I paid $160 for mine and it had a beat bar and had seen a rough life. It still is amazing in how well it cuts. I have been very impressed with mine. I don't think that you will regret spending that kind of money for one. And if you need more powere the BB kit is around $200 to make it into a 7900. JR

I can say one thing for the Makita chainsaws - they are rented by The Home Depot (gas and electric). Whatever you think of Home Depot, or the cheap saws that they sell in their garden aisle, if these saws stand up to rental use, and Home Depot rental use, that says a lot.

I've spoken to a couple of the rental guys at different Home Depots who service the saws and they have a very high opinion of them. They see a lot of stuff used really hard.

The other thing to note is that Home Depot sells them out of rental periodically - I bought one of the electrics.

Philbert

that's where my 6401 came from. guy that bought it from depot put a 7901 piston/jug in it and modded the muffler. then decided it was too much saw for him...

Dcs

I picked up a rental unit today for $100.00 They are comparable to the ms660 which you will never touch for a price like that. I have run a lot of stihls and Jonsereds and I think Dolmar is a far better saw. They are balanced well, have lots of power, dependable and the 6400 7300 and 7900 are all built on the same platform so many of the parts are interchangable. Not many companies do that any more.

Back