Man cuts stomach open with chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sad story best wishes for full recovery.

Coupled with yesterday's tale of doctor visit to remove sawdust chips embedded in eyelid just makes me more cautious and safety equipment equipped every time I go to woods.

I was also wondering exactly how that could happen in normal way of firewood cutting.

Maybe a kickback while only one hand on saw; fell on saw with finger on trigger; tree felling with stump jumper hitting saw; widow maker falling limb knocked into saw ??

Pretty rare since I really know of no protective wear/pads for stomach.

Again, regards and best wishes for full recovery

I hunt on an 80 year old man's farm. His son in law was helping clean a fence row when the saw (SIL was running) hit woven wire. The saw kicked back into to 80 year olds torso. Cut him about 1/2" deep from sternum down past belly button. Nasty 3/8" wide cut. He was out working next day

One can only hope for the best. Sad to hear things like that. We were out cutting today. Started the saw and walked up to the first tree and sure enough, I tripped on our old fence. I was lucky this time, a lesson well learned. Just can't be careful enough. Murphy's Law!!

seen a lot

I have been a Paramedic for years and have seen a lot of chainsaw accidents. Some of them are hard to figure out how it happen,most were caused by not watching what you are doing at all times. Hope the fellow has a full recovery.
timg

Silly man, you should take the chain off if you are going to juggle the saw...

His last words, "hay honey hold my beer while I try this.".

All it takes is skipping one (or two or three) little step(s) for an accident to happen.

Done it myself with a circular saw -- messed up a cut, had break down the tools and go to lumber yard get another sheet of plywood. So now I was behind schedule. So instead of setting up a cutting table and clamping stuff down, I snapped a line and held one side of the plywood with my right hand while running right-handed saw left-handed.

The saw kicked and five extensor tendons were severed in my right hand. Nothing like checking out your own bones...for my trouble I got an ambulance ride and a no-expenses paid three month vacation! Fortunately I had a great surgeon and hand therapist and they got me to the point that unless you knew what to look for, you wouldn't notice the loss of motion in that hand.

So slow down and think about what you're doing, it isn't worth saving 15 minutes. And I still have to remind myself this when I fire up a chainsaw for one cut and leave the chaps hanging in the garage...........

Best wishes for a full recovery.

Oppps

I foresee a new chaps design.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
March 28, 2009 GOLD BEACH – A Gold Beach wood carver, who was found dead at his Hunter Creek Heights home, was apparently accidentally killed when a chain saw he was using on a wooden sculpture cut his throat, Sheriff’s Capt. Bob Rector said Friday.

Glenn Walter Dobrusky, 58, was found dead at his home Tuesday afternoon.

Rector said an autopsy was performed Thursday and the result was consistent with an investigative finding that Dobrusky’s death was accidental.

“Analysis of the scene indicated that Mr. Dobrusky was working in his shop, using a chain saw on a wooden sculpture, when the chain saw blade somehow made contact with the throat area of his neck, causing a fatal wound,” Rector said. “It appears that the accident occurred sometime early in the morning on March 24.”
http://www.currypilot.com/20090328112926/News/Local-New...

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Man Kills Wife in Chainsaw Accident May 12, 2009

In a tragic and gruesome incident, a man accidentally cut his wife's neck with a chainsaw at their home in Ostego, Michigan.
Jerry Daniels was cutting a log when his wife Deb approached him from behind. According to investigators, she most likely kneeled down in an attempt to help her husband roll the cut log away. Daniels pulled the saw from the log and it slashed her neck. The authorities have so far ruled out foul play.
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/272500

- - - - - - - - -- - - --

BOW, N.H. -- A Bow police officer was killed Tuesday morning in an accident at his home involving a chain saw.
November 24, 2009

Bow officials said Nathan Taylor, 34, died at his Epsom home, and town officials were notified of his death by the Epsom police chief.

Relatives said Taylor was alone, trimming tree branches on his property on Goboro Road when the chainsaw kicked back and cut across his upper body. Taylor was able to call 911, but by the time paramedics arrived, he was dead.
http://www.wmur.com/news/21713629/detail.html

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A TREE surgeon died in a chainsaw accident.

Scott David Donnison, 28, was suspended 40 feet up a tree in the back garden of a house in Park Gate, Hailsham.

He died instantly when his chainsaw kicked back from a branch and hit him on the left side of his neck, under his chin.

He was wearing a helmet and full safety equipment at the time.
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-176920675.html

===========

I'll stop there.
Google is a great tool within limits.
I just hit my limit.

Not good, what a way to end the year! I wonder if there was enough left of his thumb to re-attach it. Hope he makes a full recovery.

Latest posts

Back