Man falls into chipper and dies/ Colorado

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mebbe, panth, but maybe not. I did a short stint in the funeral business (call it temporary insanity), and people who deal with such things day in and day out develop a twisted sense of humor as a coping mechanism. Most keep it behind closed doors, strictly within the profession. BUT, there are always a few that have no mercy about it.

You haven't lived until you've watched a family screaming & yelling bloody murder at each other about how dear mother's funeral will be conducted. I'm a firm beliver in making your own arrangements in detail, well in advance, to cut that stuff to a minumum.

Sizzle-Chest said:
okay, this might sound stupid, but would it be reasonable to build a chipper where the infead contains some kind of sensor and operator wears some kind of bracelet and when the bracelet passes the sensor, the chipper automatically shuts off? its not complicated technology by any means, and I dont see that it would be cumbersome. but maybe there's a reason something like this doesnt exist

Money, probably. As an engineer, I can tell you it would be a piece of cake to make something like that work, but who would be willing to pay for it?

And if you do convince the industry to make and use them, how much success would you have getting people to wear the bracelets? You'd want two, of course. And you'd want one on each ankle, too.

Don't get me wrong - I'd like to see it, but I do see why it hasn't been done yet.

If reasonably affordable, (which it should be), and they could be retrofitted to any self feed chipper, I would seriously consider it.

Redbull said:
If reasonably affordable, (which it should be), and they could be retrofitted to any self feed chipper, I would seriously consider it.

it might be just a matter of time. there's only so many times that people die in such a gruesome yet avoidable way before people reconsider safety features. I know a lot of people complain about safety features (including me sometimes) but in many cases they are necessary

Sizzle-Chest said:
okay, this might sound stupid, but would it be reasonable to build a chipper where the infead contains some kind of sensor and operator wears some kind of bracelet and when the bracelet passes the sensor, the chipper automatically shuts off? its not complicated technology by any means, and I dont see that it would be cumbersome. but maybe there's a reason something like this doesnt exist

Not a stupid idea, but I don't think the electronics will hold up. Autofeeds have a hard time surviving the vibration. Most guys will not bother to put on the bracelets or they will get lost after a couple of days. Safest thing is to always have 2 guys chipping. In fact, the owner's manual states that. I have chipped many times by myself, I always cut off the right angles and wide crotches. Those are the ones that create problems and always stand on the side. Standing on the side will probably prevent 99% of the chipper accidents.

Redbull said:

I had a Stihl 015 for a long time....they came without chainbreaks. Once newer saws came out and I saw how useful the Cbs could be I had my 015 retrofitted. I think it cost $110 at my local Ace/Stihl shop. Good money well spent.

Wearing the safety bracelets to prevent chipper suction would simply be a matter of discipline. I (and mine) always wear seatbelts...simple training and discipline.

I figure the folks who don't wear them are helping cleanse the gene pool.

pantheraba said:
I had a Stihl 015 for a long time....they came without chainbreaks. Once newer saws came out and I saw how useful the Cbs could be I had my 015 retrofitted. I think it cost $110 at my local Ace/Stihl shop. Good money well spent.

Wearing the safety bracelets to prevent chipper suction would simply be a matter of discipline. I (and mine) always wear seatbelts...simple training and discipline.

I figure the folks who don't wear them are helping cleanse the gene pool.

all the manuacturers would need to do to help with compliancy would be to make the bracelet a workmans watch aswell

Well i know this sounds bad to have to force workers to do and i dont agree. But my brother worked for the state doing roadside- to include some tree work when they were in/on the road, He said if they were the "chip crew" they couldnt wear gloves. Seems that the one making this rule up never had to operate the machine but in this situation it is the way to go. But then they probally never tried to force a holly into a chipper!

I wouldn't force my guys to do it, but if they didn't than they would receive disciplinary action, just like they would if they didn't wear any other piece of PPE. I am not at the stage in my business where I need to hire anyone full time, but even my part time guys know: if you don't want to follow the rules, you don't have to work here. Asking them to put on a bracelet is a lot less bothersome to most than telling them to wear a hard hat. If it's a part of your operations PPE, than they comply or say bye-bye.

For those of you who don't KNOW. Brush chippers are all fitted (with in the last three years) with TWO different stop bars, one at leg height on the end of the feed table which is activated by bumping it which stops the feed system . The second is in the control bar either by pushing all the the way or by pulling it towards you all the way.

There is another design protection that wouldn't be practical in machines designed to chew up whole trees, but is present on the Vandermolen WoodPro AVP tractor (pto) powered chipper/shredder that I have. It will handle brush up to 5-6" diam but the hopper feed lip is on a 45deg. angle and the lower lip is about 4-5' above ground in normal use. You just toss the material in over the hopper lip and gravity takes it down to the flywheel, blades and flails.

The size of the hopper is such that unless you are the size of Wilt Chamberlain, even if you reached over the hopper lip, you couldn't reach the blades anyway. Of course, I realize that someone stupid enough could stand on something and reach in, but at least you can't do it inadvertantly.

The arrangement of the hopper also protects against being hit by material ejected from the machine since anything ejected will be directed up and outward by the hopper and the operator is not standing in the line of fire. It also renders a power feed unnecessary as the incline of the hopper is sufficient to direct material down to the blades and, once in contact, the blades action draws the rest of the material in. I use this machine for reducing all hard and soft material (leaves and weed stalks as well as all brush and woody material smaller than what I use as firewood) and it is both fast and efficient. As I recall, it requires 22 pto hp to run.

I am not a professional and the safety aspects of this machine is one of the major reasons why I bought it. I think that the design is far preferable for any non-pro, especially anyone working alone. They also make stand-alone engine powered machines. Can be seen at www.vandermolencorp.com/NAVFRAME-6.htm

I've never heard the term "morselization"..........The few OSHA and related reports I have read about these type of deaths used the term "total body fragmentation".

I like the latter term......morselization makes me think of food.......or mice.....both are kinda odd thoughts under the circumstances.

As far as bracelets go.....they are good in theory. I've lost several of those Livestrong, breast cancer, yellow ribbon, etc. and I never even knew they were gone. If you make the bracelet really strong it could cause other problems. It would be easier to design it onto the back of a glove. You could use a magnetic tag like in stores......it would be cheap and disposable.

My $.02

Sizzle-Chest said:

Really good idea, not stupid at all. I haven't been up here lately, too much work. LOL.
I hated to hear about this. For me, I have also felt "yeah, I'm very safe...", and find times when I'm really tired or feel like taking a short cut......and realize how #@%& dangerous this job is. I have a passion for tree trimming correctly, and that's why I do it. Seeing stuff like this makes me feel terribly sad for his family and friends. EVERYONE......BE CAREFUL ! Be Safe as you can. Don't rush to finish the job 'cause you got another customer waiting, If you're tired...STOP for god sakes. If you need some time off to let your body rest...DO IT. You all know this drill. I don't EVER want to see an article like this again. It makes me physically ill.

Peace,
Chris

chipper builder said:
For those of you who don't KNOW. Brush chippers are all fitted (with in the last three years) with TWO different stop bars, one at leg height on the end of the feed table which is activated by bumping it which stops the feed system . The second is in the control bar either by pushing all the the way or by pulling it towards you all the way.

Maybe on the ones you build ? Homeowner models? But not ALL of them, my new commercial model doesn't and I only remember one that did?

Koa Man said:
Not a stupid idea, but I don't think the electronics will hold up. Autofeeds have a hard time surviving the vibration. Most guys will not bother to put on the bracelets or they will get lost after a couple of days. Safest thing is to always have 2 guys chipping. In fact, the owner's manual states that. I have chipped many times by myself, I always cut off the right angles and wide crotches. Those are the ones that create problems and always stand on the side. Standing on the side will probably prevent 99% of the chipper accidents.

If enough folks die they'll(feds or maybe city gov'ts)mandate safety devices on new equipment. Machines already out there could be made to autostop with sensors that trigger off of movement-when motion in the feed tube stops it kills the motor. That alone might buy the unfortunate just enough time to see tomorrow. You could make an autostop/kill using a few sensors and a relay or two to ground the ignition. Maybe one motion sense and a static light curtain to keep it on when empty as in between loading branches when there's nothing in there, but kill the motor when it jams. Or maybe one infrared sensor that could detect an appendage in there and kill the motor that way. As far as reliability they make some pretty good stuff these days-cheap too. You can make redundant sensors(back-up) with an LED that tells you when one of em' fails etc. But it still works with the backup etc. Granted I'm just throwing things out there but I do this sort of thing for a living. Lot's of possibilities.
The other problem is those things spin down slowly-as in your maybe you're dead any way. At least the ones around here capable of pullihg in the entire body-they spin a long time after you kill the engine. So you could slow it down pretty quick with lots of pretty inexpensive devices such as hydraulic or electric brakes(mount a disk brake rotor or drum to shaft possibly)if you have access to the shaft.
On simpler side if you weld you could cut down the access hole size to only what is necessary or workable(adjustable), maybe a single bar that pivots over the hole or something like that. I don't use those things so don't know the exact config but most things can be modified or made to work. If not buy a brand that can or has safety features built in. But I suspect no one really wants to replace that equipment until necessary due to cost. Maybe a leg tether. Just ideas maybe someone can use.
I don't like seeing guys die. The bottom line is for everyone to make it home every night in one piece.

Big Jake wrote:
"On simpler side if you weld you could cut down the access hole size to only what is necessary or workable(adjustable"

That's what I want.........a smaller infeed throat......

A smaller infeed throat will just shift the problem to ripping off limbs instead of taking the whole body, in which case the person is likely to bleed out. I think the glove idea is best and can work exactly like the alarms like Xander said that would simply reverse the feed wheels when activated.

Back