Man falls into chipper and dies/ Colorado

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chuck n Duck vs Self feed

work with older chuck n Duck chipper and self feed and i hate using the chuck n duck. it really beats the crap out of me. the big chipper self feed Vermeer 1800 19 inch capacity on the other hand is a dream to work with. still in awe when you send a monster chunk of wood threw that thing. but i think a chuck n duck will give you more injuries but a self feed will kill you.

Last edited:
iowa

chipper builder said:
For those of you who don't KNOW. Brush chippers are all fitted (with in the last three years) with TWO different stop bars, one at leg height on the end of the feed table which is activated by bumping it which stops the feed system . The second is in the control bar either by pushing all the the way or by pulling it towards you all the way.
y'all build some mighty fine chippers out there in iowa dont ya?

exceelent machine

chipper builder said:
For those of you who don't KNOW. Brush chippers are all fitted (with in the last three years) with TWO different stop bars, one at leg height on the end of the feed table which is activated by bumping it which stops the feed system . The second is in the control bar either by pushing all the the way or by pulling it towards you all the way.
they have approved safety devices like the man sez this was just that an unexpected event with a bad outcome it seems to me that this accident got huge press cnn newspapers etc. jersey had one, owner and helper both chipping into bandit intimidator.. anyway helper gets pulled in feet first owner reverses feed bar too late took the groundie to the waist 911 called had to pry owner off the lifeless groundie sobbing and cradling him, owner was sedated groundie dead at scene. grisly, great safety videofor guys who have been in the biz for a while, out of new mexico called I felt comfortable about a line man who gets blasted and loses both arms, its utility so when you show it to tree guys you get laughs snickers the usual everybodys hardcore, right/ ten minutes in, the laughing and side chatter stops dead quite, this guy holds up in the screen his metal claws where his arms were and says he got comfortable. who knows what happened to this guy lets hope he didnt get comfortale with a bc1250 God rest his soul heaven called him home, my condolences to his family freinds and the co worker who jumped from the bucket.

That happened close to home. Just another reminder of why we need to stay ever cautious around the tools of our trade.

Kenn

Then again, I started working with guys who didn't use any protective gear, drank all night and smoked dope all day. Good god.

I bet if you took a survey, you will find that Bandit chippers have killed or maimed more people that all the others put together. It is NOT because there are more Bandits out there, because I don't think Bandit has more than 50% of the chipper market. Seems like most of the chipper injuries or fatalities I read or hear about have involved a Bandit. How about you guys?

I had an old Fitchburg 14" Chuck and Duck for years, and never had any injuries... but we always fed the brush from the side, and always had atleast two people chipping...

As far as the gloves with the sensors, I think as long as you explain to your workers that the gloves will keep them from getting maimed/killed by the scariest piece of equipment on site, they will wear them without question.

I have used a Vermeer BC1250 for the past few years, and have had no problems with injuries, however, It does seem that the culprit in most of the tradjedies I hear about is a vermeer. Gotta be really bad PR for them. Its a shame, they make great machines.

The reason people are getting injured by Bandit and Vermeer chippers is the fact you have to be an idiot to buy one:laugh:

Any Arborist with a lick of sense would run a Woodsman!

You guys make it too easy. :)

Chronic1 said:
Vermeer makes the best chipper on the market IMHO.

How many comparisons have you done?

I ran 9 chippers before I bought a woodsman......3 were vermeers. I liked the vermeer the least, then came the morbarks, then bandit and the woodsman I liked best. This is based on perfomance not price. I haven't run a conehead yet but I intend to in the spring. If you haven't shopped around it may be a good idea before you purchase your next chipper.

My $.02

Morbark, asplundh,vermeer,bandit ......I know there are others......lol...maryjane memory.

xander9727 said:
How many comparisons have you done?

I ran 9 chippers before I bought a woodsman......3 were vermeers. I liked the vermeer the least, then came the morbarks, then bandit and the woodsman I liked best. This is based on perfomance not price. I haven't run a conehead yet but I intend to in the spring. If you haven't shopped around it may be a good idea before you purchase your next chipper.

My $.02

Thanks for the info, it will definately be used next time around.

This accident happened only a couple of miles from my house. never heard of the company but I feel for his family. Thats a rough way to go. I still dont see how an experienced operator could fall victim to this type of accident if they were being remotely safe. Not tap dancing on the back of the machine and the such.

SilentElk said:
I still dont see how an experienced operator could fall victim to this type of accident if they were being remotely safe.

Complacency? It kills a lot of people.

chippers

i.ve been servicing a chipper today, it,s an awsome piece of kit the feed jaws are 16inches wide and it will eat pine telephone poles no problem. the guy who owns it told me a story of the earlier model to this. a guy was feeding large branches into it and as he fed one the jaws pulled it through but the guy had,nt noticed a side branch sticking out sideways so as it pulled the branch through it hooked onto the back of the guy and dragged him straight into the hopper through the jaws and cutters and spat the bits into the trailer!. i treat these bits of kit with the utmost respect. regards,NED.

Back